Am I not cut out for bjj?

I think its also helpful to immerse yourself in the art when you are not in the gym. Seriously, I read martial arts books and magazines when I am on the toilet. When I am sitting in traffic, I am playing instructional vids through the AUX input in my car so I can listen. Obviously it would be unsafe to watch but just listening to the technique walk through helps to reinforce it in my unconscious I think.

Just the little things to help you absorb like a sponge when you can't be on the mats.

Start using neck cranks, bicep slicers and calf crushers, that should teach em'

Supplemental training my friend, it shall help you immensely . Stamina issues, 10 wind-sprints every morn . Str issues, isometric training . Breathing issues, olympic style swimming. There's a solution for everything.

These new belts, are they fresh or do they have prior grappling experience? Everyone goes through something like this. What's important is staying consistent, you'll eventually break the plateau.

As others have said, if you have time aside from BJJ days, do conditioning, etc. Breathing is important also, if you're exerting more than inhaling, you'll gas. Especially in clinch heavy positions, if you're just holding your breath there, you'll gas faster.

Start using neck cranks, bicep slicers and calf crushers, that should teach em'

Don't forget to crank subs when they tap as well.

I've been in a similar situation for awhile. I've lost every competition match I have had. Things only ever start to look up for me when I go a few months doing lots and lots of rolling every class.

I also have found that doing supplemental stuff has helped a lot; reading Black Belt Blueprint by Nic Gregoriades, watching instructionals that expound on the basics and fundamental concepts of Jiu Jitsu (as opposed to ones expounding on elaborate techniques &c. which I am not at the point of needing to cover yet) and practising fundamental movements a lot in my free time.

I still suck, and probably always will. But am I, or are you, going to let that detract from the fact every time you feel that mat beneath your feet you know it's where you belong?

Best advice I ever heard to 99% of the questions I had like this since I ever began training in any kind of martial arts was as follows: Shut up and train.

This is probably the best advice.

The sad truth is, 2x per week is not really enough to progress at an appreciable rate. Realistically, from my experience and what I've seen in others, the difference between 2x and 3x a week is HUGE. It's the biggest jump IMO. After that you get diminishing returns.

So if you absolutely cannot train 3x per week (and I find it hard to believe; most people say can't but they mean "would rather not sacrifice") then do supplemental training outside of the gym.

Watch videos, do mental drills, do physical drills at home.

But yeah - just getting to an extra class per week will make you get way better way faster. Your conditioning will get better and you'll get stronger.

Are you going to progress slower than the people who train 3+ times a week? Yes

Are you going to struggle against people bigger than you? Sometimes

Does any of that matter? No. You have to remember that you're not in a race and you can't put too much pressure on yourself. Show up as often as you can, try to get a little better every day and learn to enjoy the process without worrying about how you measure up and you'll be fine.

Great post. This all day.

I'm speaking as a guy who has been training for approximately 9 years. I'm a purple belt at the moment. I'm fairly small in size (5'7 and 135-140lbs).

1. The first thing that will help you is think about progress compared to yourself. Someone who trains 3x or more versus your 2x a week is generally learning more than you. Instead of looking at how you fair versus others all the time, you should also look at the techniques you may have become somewhat proficient at. You may not be hitting back takes every where, but look at the small things. Has your hip escape improved? Did you escape properly? That is still progress. 2x will create progress, but just understand it's slow. Once you realize this, it will help you feel less discouraged. I used to train 5-6x a week, sometimes twice a day. As my career began and I got older, I'm training 3-4x a week. There are blue belts who I was tapping a year ago who now beat the shit out of me without breaking a sweat. They're training 2-3x a day/6 days a week. I wasn't surprised they eventually surpassed me. I'm OK with that.

2. Now, if you're training less...you have to be much more intelligent with your training. You have to be very independent too. You can't rely on coming to class alone to get better. If you're in a traditional BJJ school, the techniques are likely taught in a scattered fashion that makes learning extremely hard. Take learning into your own hands. For the hours I could not train, I added extra things (as some suggested) outside of class. I added lots of studying of techniques. There is so much material to view out there. I find BBs that play styles that are like what I prefer. I watch the crap out of them and mimic. Now you need to find techniques and piece them together. When I started, I always managed to snag a half guard and hang on before being smash passed. Naturally, it made sense for me to develop a half guard arsenal. I understood that being on bottom, I must first be strong with my defence. The longer I can maintain my guard, the more chance I give myself to set up a sweep. Look at your weakness (or most weak at the moment) and strive to fix those.

3. Leading from point 2, go to class with a purpose. Purposeless training, in my mind, would be me going to class and just getting a sweat on. I'm not working on anything...I'm just letting it all flow out. Go to class with a technique in mind. I might go to class with my crucifix game in mind. The goal of all rolls is to get to this spot. Then I progress next month and then work to finishing from the crucifix once I can get into it fairly decently. I spend one month focused on top techniques (just passing only, takedowns...) and the next month I do guard work (focus on guard retention, sweeps only). Also make use of the different partners you have. When you roll with less experienced people, you should try to exert your offensive game on them. When you roll with higher belts, you can focus on your defensive ability. You can make it a game for yourself. Maybe you're going to hit 5 triangles today. A finish is 1. Getting into the lock without a finish is 0.5. If you can get to class early, practice a technique and review with a friend. If you have a few extra mins at the end, find that same friend and do some more. Oh yeah, asks LOTS of questions. If you find someone who does something well, ask them how they do it. Maybe that guy/girl slices through your guard like better...well ask them, what they do see that makes passing so easy? Analyze and think.

4. See if you can add an extra session. Maybe it means doing a drop in somewhere. Maybe it means going to a friends basement. Do it. It's better than nothing. Generally, more mat time is going to help.

5. Do extra physical work outside of the class. I practice Ashtanga Yoga outside of class to keep my body mobile. If you sit all day at a desk and then go to class, it's pretty rough. Anything extra to keep you moving will help with a general exercise base.

And don't give up. Everybody is capable of doing BJJ. I don't ever anticipate winning gold medals but I'm going to learn BJJ as best as I can. I'm OK with all this. I'm ok being the best average BJJ-er. My first few years sucked the most. I was always getting smashed, passed, tapped. I still get smashed btw, but not as hard and much. My buddies all advanced far ahead of me. But I kept training because as long as you train (you make progress, slow or not), you will get somewhere. When you quit, you stop and get absolutely nowhere. It's only now that I feel somewhat decent at this BJJ thing. BJJ has been an amazing journey. I've learned to think more and analyze everything to problem solve. I have mental toughness that stems from battling people on a daily basis on the mats. I believe I've grown up learning about respect and humbleness from training. Most of all, once you you embrace the struggle, you will be amazed at how much you can overcome. Good luck.

Most of all, HAVE FUN. Class is training. Learn the technique in class and just try to go for it. It's awesome to tap. Tapping ls learning. Tap, and try again.

Last edited:
Been doing this for two years now, and I feel I haven't progressed at all. I'm losing to guys who have started after me, I can't seem to improve my stamina, my technique seems like they're going nowhere.

Can you beat yourself one year ago? This is the most important indicator of the progress. I did bjj for 2+ years 3-5 days ~10hr mat time/week, one of those days is a private lesson. Of course my progress is more likely to be higher, but this does not mean I "cut better" for bjj. That only means I have more free time and money, that's it.

If you think you do not have enough stamina, then you need to work on your breath control. Breathing should be normal regardless to how long you roll. Stop once you go out of breath stop, relax and do not move until breath is restored. You may have to go for pins instead of attacking on top, or into survival instead of escaping on the bottom.

Just keep at it - Not everyone is Marcelo or Rafa.

do some outside s & c. Eat a bit better. drink lots of water.

Don't compare yourself to anyone else. You're better than you were two years ago and two years from now you'll be better than you are right now.

Don't expect "move of the day" classes to improve your jj. You don't need a 12th sweep from half guard. Outside of class working positional drills / playing around with positions while TALKING- "ok how do I stop this underhook here" is where you will actually learn things you need to fill the holes in your game

Don't expect "move of the day" classes to improve your jj. You don't need a 12th sweep from half guard. Outside of class working positional drills / playing around with positions while TALKING- "ok how do I stop this underhook here" is where you will actually learn things you need to fill the holes in your game

I'd say if your gym still teaches like this, you're probably better off finding another gym if possible.

This shit is hard man. Don't be hard on yourself. if you're miserable and you hate it, then maybe true taking some pressure off yourself and focusing on the parts of it that you do enjoy. But overall I would say to just be cool to yourself and give yourself time. I've been training for almost a decade and I was terrible for the majority of that time, despite knowing a lot and being able to do techniques well when drilling. It was massively frustrating. I'm sure it's not the case for everyone, but I finally turned the corner when I stopped caring about getting better or not and just started training hard and trying to enjoy myself.

You will get better if you keep training. If you can do 2 days a week, and you can keep doing 2 days a week, you'll get better. I've had a ton of people start after me and get better than me. But also keep in mind that you're probably getting better than you realize. It can actually pretty hard to judge your own rate of improvement in BJJ.

Most people who think they "can't get it," just haven't picked up on the basics of important transitions and how to hold posture in different positions.

The cure for most people is private lessons. If you are clever, have a journeyman training partner and find the right videos, you might be able to teach yourself.

A list of topics I might look up if they don't sound familiar to you:

Technical Standup as Guard is Passed by posting on the Face
Underhook and Posture from Half Guard
Pummeling from Half Guard
Recovering Guard from Half Guard
Elbow Knee Escape from Mount (To Underhook Half Guard)
Elbow Knee Escape from Technical Mount (to Underhook Half Guard)
Darce Killer Sweep from Half Guard
Pummeling from Bottom Side Mount
Maintaining Side Mount
Breaking Closed Guard by Standing
Pummeling for Overhook from Bottom Closed Guard
Overhook Closed Guard Submissions (straight arm, triangle, omoplata, kimura)

Everytime you learn something off that list you didn't know it will make a huge difference for you against many opponents.

That's basically how I roll. I pull bottom mount or back, escape to mount or side mount, escape to half guard, sucker them into the darce killer, knee cut pass half guard, compose side mount, transition to mount, threaten the americana, finish with armbar or arm triangle. I can do this in no gi with pretty high success, and it mostly just comes down to knowing how I want my posture and hands positioned at each point.

You will run into people now and again that you can't sucker with the darce killer sweep but it is basically a waiting trap in most gyms. It can get you by until you learn to do a more offensive sweep. If they don't go for it, they will almost always flinch all the way out and let you get full open guard.

you should train harder. more work pays off trust. Me man you will be better i start jiu jitsu at 12 i was horible then i keep training and now i am one of the best in east europe

I thought you went to asu?

The cure for most people is private lessons. If you are clever, have a journeyman training partner and find the right videos, you might be able to teach yourself.

If TS train for 2 years under the same instructor and is in such situation.

I do not think he should waste more of his money by getting private lessons with same instructor.

Time to move to another service provider.

I thought you went to asu?

He must've been 12 two months ago as well, since he claimed to have started training two months ago in another thread. 12 year old white belt that wrestled at ASU and has the skills of a purple belt.

If TS train for 2 years under the same instructor and is in such situation.

I do not think he should waste more of his money by getting private lessons with same instructor.

Time to move to another service provider.
This situation is just TS perception of his performance which most likely has nothing to do with the actual progress. He could be the best and brightest student in the club who may need just a few adjustments to his game.

There is general bias in teaching bjj with mostly attacking techniques. Once newbies learn how to do armbar from guard they start using it without proper setup. End up in the bottom side mount where they suck, because they know nothing about survival yet. This gives them false feeling that they cannot do anything.

This situation is just TS perception of his performance which most likely has nothing to do with the actual progress. He could be the best and brightest student in the club who may need just a few adjustments to his game.

There is general bias in teaching bjj with mostly attacking techniques. Once newbies learn how to do armbar from guard they start using it without proper setup. End up in the bottom side mount where they suck, because they know nothing about survival yet. This gives them false feeling that they cannot do anything.

I was saying that if his instructor failed at "tuning up" his game during group classes, it is very unlikely he would achieve that in a private setting when you paid for his undivided attention.

Actually I never seen or heard of someone that train for 2 years at twice a week and do not improve at all.

Back