Am I not cut out for bjj?

Discussion in 'Grappling Technique' started by jameswooyoung, Aug 17, 2015.

1. jameswooyoung

jameswooyoung White Belt

Been doing this for two years now, and I feel I haven't progressed at all. I'm losing to guys who have started after me, I can't seem to improve my stamina, my technique seems like they're going nowhere.

During training, I always seem to lose because: 1. no stamina, 2. too weak
    But I know it's not about strength, as I've seen higher belts my size beat bigger guys. So it's definitely my technique. The problem is, I don't think I have any. As guys who've started after me are beating me - both in strength and technique.

Of course, it could also be because I can't train every day. It's only two times a week. I can't really get more days in because of work.

I'm losing motivation...

2. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

Do some strength and conditioning outside of bjj and learn to wrestle

3. TX Fighter

TX Fighter Green Belt

Its not about how bad you fall but how you get yourself up

If you challenge yourself to be better, you might be surprised.

Could mean training with focus for 3 or 4 days a week

Eating better

Doing strength and conditioning

Are you tough enough to get better, or is bjj too tough for you?

I am a big, strong, athletic grappler. People half my size, can use technique and zero strength to beat me

I am thinking of one guy in particular. Purple belt, maybe 150lb. He purposely uses as little strength as possible. His technique is sound. Gives me fits every roll. I am a four year blue belt, 220 lbs. Strong as heck, it doesnt matter

So focus on getting better. Dont get discouraged.

4. dokomoy

dokomoy Green Belt

Are you going to progress slower than the people who train 3+ times a week? Yes

Are you going to struggle against people bigger than you? Sometimes

Does any of that matter? No. You have to remember that you're not in a race and you can't put too much pressure on yourself. Show up as often as you can, try to get a little better every day and learn to enjoy the process without worrying about how you measure up and you'll be fine.

5. Bunkai

Bunkai White Belt

You fuc*ed up a long time ago, go train.

6. These Two Hands

These Two Hands Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

I've been in a similar situation for awhile. I've lost every competition match I have had. Things only ever start to look up for me when I go a few months doing lots and lots of rolling every class.

I also have found that doing supplemental stuff has helped a lot; reading Black Belt Blueprint by Nic Gregoriades, watching instructionals that expound on the basics and fundamental concepts of Jiu Jitsu (as opposed to ones expounding on elaborate techniques &c. which I am not at the point of needing to cover yet) and practising fundamental movements a lot in my free time.

I still suck, and probably always will. But am I, or are you, going to let that detract from the fact every time you feel that mat beneath your feet you know it's where you belong?

Best advice I ever heard to 99% of the questions I had like this since I ever began training in any kind of martial arts was as follows: Shut up and train.

7. November

November Yellow Belt

you should train harder. more work pays off trust. Me man you will be better i start jiu jitsu at 12 i was horible then i keep training and now i am one of the best in east europe

8. Pierced7681

Pierced7681 Black Belt

Whats your jiu jitsu game like? Is your instructor not helping you learn? If so, find another gym. After two years if training, I'd say it's your instructors fault you suck at technique.

9. ChickenBrother

ChickenBrother JCPENNEY $3.98 BELT Platinum Member

When you say "losing to guys who started after you," do you mean like 6 months after you, or literally just started? Surely you can beat guys that just started in your gym?

Could be that you just have really good, focused guys in your gym. I'd be more concerned about how much you've improved over the past 2 years, and how you do against untrained guys as a baseline.

If there's any style that can work for any body type, its BJJ. Doesn't require superhuman balance, strength, flexibility or explosiveness. In fact, those attributes can be handicaps if you've learned to depend on them. There's tons of guys with serious prior injuries or even birth defects that have excelled in BJJ. Guys like Ximu and hell, look how many submissions Nick Newell has with only one arm.

Again, focus on your own improvement and not other peoples and if you stick with it, you can become great.

10. Calibur

Calibur Jiu Jitsu Snob

Progress in Jiu Jitsu should be internal. Don't worry about how other people do. Worry about whether or not you are accomplishing your internal goals.

Could you secure the arm for 2 seconds longer than you could the day before? Could you stand up more easily than you could last week? Stuff like that. Start focusing on what you want to do and when your specific goal isn't working ask a knowledgeable person why.

The people who truly progress in the sport are the people who can find self motivation. If you can't, than maybe you aren't cut out for bjj long term. Still, that has nothing to do with your physical limitations and everything to do with your mindset.

Find beauty in the small accomplishments. You'll find that even when you tap, you are still getting a "win".

11. QingTian

QingTian Purple Belt

Training is just filling in the holes. When new you will have many holes and many ways to be beaten. After a while it will be easy to look back and see why you lost. It doesn't have anything to do with who started first.

12. UniqueSteez

UniqueSteez Be water my friend. Platinum Member

Don't lose hope buddy some people are just slow learners like my self nothing wrong with that, if you keep practicing you'll get better period.
    Remember each class you attend you were a better version of your self then last class whether or not you see it.
    Like others have mentioned perhaps try some strength & conditioning and perhaps a clean up in diet.

13. Codger

Codger Brown Belt

Are you super talented physically? Do you always learn other sports quicker and to a higher standard than others around you? If not, then what did you expect to happen?

I've never been the best, quickest learner in any sport. BJJ isn't any different so funnily enough, other people have got better than me quicker.

The other day I saw a familiar face in class that I couldn't place. it wasn't until I'd sparred with him and chatted that I recognised him as a guy who was in the club before I started but stopped coming after I'd been there about 6 months. So he's still a white belt and I can kick his arse without breaking a sweat. So whilst he may or may not have been a quicker learner than me, I stuck it out and he didn't.

It's not a race and there isn't a finish line.

14. These Two Hands

These Two Hands Our revenge will be the laughter of our children

Well to be fair, I myself have been training for 2 and a half years and usually weigh around 118 - 120kg. There's a guy who has come and begun training just a few weeks ago, who outweighs me by a good deal and actually has so much muscle in his pectoral area he cannot bring his elbows together to touch lol. Anyway, this guy has only been training a few weeks, and granted I have been giving him top position because he's new and granted he's never come within a country mile of tapping me out but he has literally just started, muscles everything, but man he definitely gives me a lot of trouble. Given a few months I'd put the smart money on he smokes me no trouble.

15. the heed

the heed Look at the size of that boy's heed.

If your technique is going no where, maybe you need to drill instead of rolling. Drilling over and over has helped me with certain technique and transition.

And if your stamina is going no where, maybe you should look into what you are putting in your body. Cut down on alcohol and eat cleaner.

16. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Might be your school's approach to teaching. My guess is that you do kimuras one week then armbar from guard the next week. That's a great approach for plenty of people who have good memories and know how to fill in the blanks. But others need more reps and back up plans.

17. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

You shouldn't gauge your own martial arts progress based on the individual progress of your peers. A lot of people say this but I think sometimes in arts like BJJ where the competitive aspect is such a big deal to people that it can get lost in the shuffle.

But honestly, if you are even asking the question now then I can already tell you that YOU have already made up your mind no matter what we say.

18. dmwalking

dmwalking Sapateiro Belt

Anyhow, on a philosophical level, I believe that you should take your focus off of winning/losing and just focus on learning. Even if you lose, you learn. I remember when I first started, I would sometimes let myself get caught in certain positions to get a feel for them. And in doing that, I learned a lot about defense. Just learn. Don't worry about ranks or taps. Just worry about learning. In the end, it's about YOUR journey, not about being the best.

19. Forceof1

Forceof1 Blue Belt

The real question is- how would you do today against the version of you from 2 years ago? That is how you want to gauge your progress.

And for those of you who had the answer to train more- for some people- 2x a week may be all they can manage. I only train 2x a week , and I'm making gains. I suppose I could train more if I wanted to be a shitty husband or dad- but by studying, s&c when I can and training smart/ efficient at class I still am making significant gains.

20. Edison Carasio

Edison Carasio Excellence of execution belt Platinum Member

As a super heavy I will let people with less experience pass my guard or sweep me or whatever so I can get some extra time on bottom and let them get some practice on top. It doesn't do me any good just to crush lower experienced partners all the time. Like you said, there is no "win" or "lose". That's what comp is for.