Am I in Danger? - Headache after Sparring

This. There is the Mayweather's "I rarely get hit" style, then theres the Marquez/Vazquezes

Mayweather is one in a million, most people get punched a lot more. I don't bother to spend time looking for studies but 80% of boxers with over 20 pro fights have brain damage, that is exactly what I read but don't know where to find it now. You can believe it or think that taking repeated blows to the head does not cause brain damage, it's on you.

Also Cracky, are you really arguing that cigarettes are worse than cocaine ? No disrespect but that is just plain stupid. Cigarettes are legal cocaine is not, if you took cocaine as often as a smoker smokes a cigarettes in just one month you'd be dead. One could give you cancer the other one fucks your total body and mind up. Although cigarettes fuck your body up too and shorten your life.

Mayweather is one in a million, most people get punched a lot more. I don't bother to spend time looking for studies but 80% of boxers with over 20 pro fights have brain damage, that is exactly what I read but don't know where to find it now. You can believe it or think that taking repeated blows to the head does not cause brain damage, it's on you.

Also Cracky, are you really arguing that cigarettes are worse than cocaine ? No disrespect but that is just plain stupid. Cigarettes are legal cocaine is not, if you took cocaine as often as a smoker smokes a cigarettes in just one month you'd be dead. One could give you cancer the other one fucks your total body and mind up. Although cigarettes fuck your body up too and shorten your life.

Jae.. did you seriously give me the "Legal" line? Marijuana is illegal. Cigarettes are not. One accounts for 0 deaths. The other accounts for half a million deaths.

Cocaine is bad. I am not saying it is good. But, cigarettes kill a higher percentage of cigarette users than cocaine does.... yet cigarettes are legal.. and alcohol is responsible for a shit load of innocent peoples deaths.. yet it is legal.. why you ask? Because America was founded on tobacco and both tobacco and alcohol companies continue to be major contributors to right and left wing politicians...

btw.. fun fact.. George Washington was fond of chewing coca leaves.. that's right.. the greatest president ever, or one of them at least, loved his coca leaves. Furthermore, one of the biggest companies in the world used to mix coca into their mass marketed product before it became illegal. Coca Cola.

Last edited:
Ok, I got it, now on the weekend I'll take some cocaine instead having a few drinks cause alcohol is more dangerous ;). However good point about the industry and money, they say multinational companies with their money rule the world not presidents. Probably both.

My headaches used to last much of the same day (depending on how many blows I'd took), and were joined by mild disorientation, such as walking to the shops, and have to stop halfway to think about where the fuck I was going and what I was doing. Literally just stopping in the middle of the pavement, and thinking where the fuck am I going. It certainly makes you work on your defence.

i love boxing but sparring is not for everyone if you dont plan on boxing theres nothing wrong with going to local boxing gym and just hitting the bag,skipping rope and learning technique

i spar and im really careful not to get matched up with hard hitters but i would advise any one who loves the sport to put on a pair of gloves and hit the bag

also is there more injuries in basketball than boxing YES but its mostly twisted ankles and knee injuries in basketball injuries not mostly head trauma like in boxing

Seeing a doctor to be sure is a good idea, for your own piece of mind I guess.

I've been competing as an amateur boxer for about 3 years now, and training for much longer. What you describe happens quite frequently, and you shouldn't be alarmed. When your technique improves you will be able to roll with the punches much better and this feeling you have now will happen very rarely, if ever.

I spar nearly every week, at a variety of intensities, and from time to time (maybe every 6 months or so) I get a slight headache after training. As long as you are not dizzy, nauseous, or otherwise heavily impaired it's nothing to worry about. Like any other sport, your body needs time to adapt to the rigors of your training.

If you haven't already, invest in a good headgear. The best you can possibly afford. It is the single most important piece of equipment you need, 2nd would be a mouthguard.

See a doctor if you want to be sure, but don't worry too much- it gets easier with time spent in the ring. Keep your hands up and your chin down! :D

I agree- quite often you may get what seems to be a headache from nothing more than dehydration/exhaustion from a very intense practice.

i love boxing but sparring is not for everyone if you dont plan on boxing theres nothing wrong with going to local boxing gym and just hitting the bag,skipping rope and learning technique

i spar and im really careful not to get matched up with hard hitters but i would advise any one who loves the sport to put on a pair of gloves and hit the bag

I agree having some skills makes you understand the fights you watch better so their more fun and who wouldn't like to be able to throw some good shots. Also light sparring is fine with me too, if you have someone who shares your attitude you can practice with low kicks relatively hard but lighter body strikes and light head shots. Also everyone who is part of the MMA forum sherdog and only does BJJ obviously doesn't want to get hit in the head too cause elsewhere they would be on a bjj forum, with few exceptions.

Jae.. did you seriously give me the "Legal" line? Marijuana is illegal. Cigarettes are not. One accounts for 0 deaths. The other accounts for half a million deaths.

Cocaine is bad. I am not saying it is good. But, cigarettes kill a higher percentage of cigarette users than cocaine does.... yet cigarettes are legal.. and alcohol is responsible for a shit load of innocent peoples deaths.. yet it is legal.. why you ask? Because America was founded on tobacco and both tobacco and alcohol companies continue to be major contributors to right and left wing politicians...

btw.. fun fact.. George Washington was fond of chewing coca leaves.. that's right.. the greatest president ever, or one of them at least, loved his coca leaves. Furthermore, one of the biggest companies in the world used to mix coca into their mass marketed product before it became illegal. Coca Cola.

I think what he was trying to say is that since it's illegal, people find it harder to buy or consume cocaine as often as they smoke cigarrettes. If Marijuana were legal, you would see the same kind of deaths as cigarrettes. Inhaling smoke, whether it comes from a bong, cigarrette, or chimney, WILL cause cancer if you're exposed to it long enough. I personally think it should be legalized, but not because it's "safe".

With cocaine, you can overdose and die the FIRST TIME you use it. You can become so addicted to it that you sell your belongings to get high within a couple of years. It's OBVIOUSLY more dangerous and devastating than cigarrettes. To say otherwise is just plain stupid.

And please don't bring coca leafs into the discussion. The leafs are no where near as harmful as the concentrated substance that's derived from them (cocaine). In fact coca leaves have reputed positive health effects, and Peruvian natives chew them to this day without any harm (it's basically a mild energy source for them, like green tea). The only dangerous thing about coca leafs is that you can make cocaine from them. And yes, MANY comanies put cocaine in their products before it was legal (yes cocaine, not the leafs). But that was to sell their product to idiot consumers who got addicted to it.

My data is not flawed. I never said that a higher % of aspirin consumers die than cocaine consumers.. I just pointed out a fun fact that shocked me a little when I saw it. I did not know that aspirin caused that many deaths.

Your "fun fact" appeared to imply cocaine is not that dangerous, as did your "fun fact" about the president chewing cocoa leafs.

Your "fun fact" appeared to imply cocaine is not that dangerous, as did your "fun fact" about the president chewing cocoa leafs.

My fun fact about the President chewing coca leaves demonstrated that even GREAT men have used cocaine in moderation and been fine.. like everything else, using it in excess is dangerous...

I think what he was trying to say is that since it's illegal, people find it harder to buy or consume cocaine as often as they smoke cigarrettes. If Marijuana were legal, you would see the same kind of deaths as cigarrettes. Inhaling smoke, whether it comes from a bong, cigarrette, or chimney, WILL cause cancer if you're exposed to it long enough. I personally think it should be legalized, but not because it's "safe".

With cocaine, you can overdose and die the FIRST TIME you use it. You can become so addicted to it that you sell your belongings to get high within a couple of years. It's OBVIOUSLY more dangerous and devastating than cigarrettes. To say otherwise is just plain stupid.

And please don't bring coca leafs into the discussion. The leafs are no where near as harmful as the concentrated substance that's derived from them (cocaine). In fact coca leaves have reputed positive health effects, and Peruvian natives chew them to this day without any harm (it's basically a mild energy source for them, like green tea). The only dangerous thing about coca leafs is that you can make cocaine from them. And yes, MANY comanies put cocaine in their products before it was legal (yes cocaine, not the leafs). But that was to sell their product to idiot consumers who got addicted to it.
Wrong.. cocaine is in coca leaves.. to make the white powder we are used to seeing, the cocaine in the leaves is isolated from the rest of the properties of the leaf.

so saying that coca leaves have positive effects and are not that harmful is the same as saying that cocaine is fine in moderation.

Wrong.. cocaine is in coca leaves.. to make the white powder we are used to seeing, the cocaine in the leaves is isolated from the rest of the properties of the leaf.

so saying that coca leaves have positive effects and are not that harmful is the same as saying that cocaine is fine in moderation.

Yeah, cocaine is made by extracting the small abount of the substance from the rest of the leaf... so guess what... you need a HUGE amount of leaves to end up with the powder. That's why it's damn near physically impossible to overdose from a large amount of cocoa leaves, or to even get any kind of real high from it, while it's EXTREMELY easy to die from snorting smaller amounts of cocaine (smaller in relation to the cocoa leaves you would need to consume to get that same amount of cocaine).

And your example of a president using cocoa leaves is pointless. He wasn't alive for the isolation of cocaine from cocoa leaves. If he were alive today, he wouldn't be stupid enough to snort lines of coke. Powerful, addictive drugs just don't lend themselves well to moderation.

None of this should be a surprise to you. It's just common sense... just like it's common sense that a sport in which people try to hit your head repetedly is bad for your brain.

You are probably fine..

Boxing is actually safer than countless other sports including football, basketball, and even cheerleading.

That said, most boxing problems arise from pre-existing conditions or extreme dehydration. You should get a check up to make sure that you do not have a pre-existing condition.
Cheerleading is a sport? Less safe than boxing? Umm.. Granted you can fall on your head, but I've never even heard of anyone dying from cheerleading. Let alone a couple of them annually..

Cheerleading is a sport? Less safe than boxing? Umm.. Granted you can fall on your head, but I've never even heard of anyone dying from cheerleading. Let alone a couple of them annually..

cheerleading is the most dangerous "sport" period.. there are countless stories of young females breaking their necks..

Penn & Teller even dedicated a full episode of Bull Shit to cheerleading.

Yeah, cocaine is made by extracting the small abount of the substance from the rest of the leaf... so guess what... you need a HUGE amount of leaves to end up with the powder. That's why it's damn near physically impossible to overdose from a large amount of cocoa leaves, or to even get any kind of real high from it, while it's EXTREMELY easy to die from snorting smaller amounts of cocaine (smaller in relation to the cocoa leaves you would need to consume to get that same amount of cocaine).

And your example of a president using cocoa leaves is pointless. He wasn't alive for the isolation of cocaine from cocoa leaves. If he were alive today, he wouldn't be stupid enough to snort lines of coke. Powerful, addictive drugs just don't lend themselves well to moderation.

None of this should be a surprise to you. It's just common sense... just like it's common sense that a sport in which people try to hit your head repetedly is bad for your brain.
tap dance all you want... the fact is that in moderation, cocaine is not any more dangerous for you than a pitcher of coffee.. and even when it is abused, it kills a lower ratio of the people that try it than cigarettes.. and yes.. it is swifter than cigarettes when shit does go wrong, but the end result is the same.

So, both are bad for you, and both are extremely addictive.. however, the numbers do not lie. Cigarettes are worse.

but we've gotten away from why I brought this crap up in the first place. I could have used any drug as an example.. I could have used steroids which can not be linked to any deaths despite all the propaganda.

The point was that there are many things out there that are deemed acceptable by society which are worse than things we have been conditioned to believe are unacceptable.

This can be directly related to the acceptable levels of trauma we are okay with in our sports... most people look at football and see the padded up guys and think it's less dangerous than boxing.. well that's simply not true. The pads and helmets encourage reckless behavior with your body and that is why football players get so many injuries from head to toe... but football is "America's sport" so we turn a blind eye to the trauma we are supporting. We forget about all the big names that we've seen fall to the field, never to walk again. .. and we discard the fact that each one of those we see happen at the pro level represents a fraction of what has happened throughout all levels of the sport.

Amateur boxing is relatively safe. Pro boxing is more dangerous do to dehydration, longer fights, and less protection. but even pro boxing is safer for you than football because, as I have said before, boxers(even the bad ones) make efforts to limit the impact of incoming shots while football players lower their head and shoulders and try to increase the impact....

so it blows my mind that every school in the country from middle school up has a football team, but boxing is considered this horribly dangerous sport.. and that was all I was trying to say..

so.. yeah.. pretty much done talking about it now.. we have started to go in circles here.. no new information is being placed on the table.. so I'm out unless you got something new to add.

tap dance all you want... the fact is that in moderation, cocaine is not any more dangerous for you than a pitcher of coffee.. and even when it is abused, it kills a lower ratio of the people that try it than cigarettes.. and yes.. it is swifter than cigarettes when shit does go wrong, but the end result is the same.

So, both are bad for you, and both are extremely addictive.. however, the numbers do not lie. Cigarettes are worse.

but we've gotten away from why I brought this crap up in the first place. I could have used any drug as an example.. I could have used steroids which can not be linked to any deaths despite all the propaganda.

The point was that there are many things out there that are deemed acceptable by society which are worse than things we have been conditioned to believe are unacceptable.

This can be directly related to the acceptable levels of trauma we are okay with in our sports... most people look at football and see the padded up guys and think it's less dangerous than boxing.. well that's simply not true. The pads and helmets encourage reckless behavior with your body and that is why football players get so many injuries from head to toe... but football is "America's sport" so we turn a blind eye to the trauma we are supporting. We forget about all the big names that we've seen fall to the field, never to walk again. .. and we discard the fact that each one of those we see happen at the pro level represents a fraction of what has happened throughout all levels of the sport.

Amateur boxing is relatively safe. Pro boxing is more dangerous do to dehydration, longer fights, and less protection. but even pro boxing is safer for you than football because, as I have said before, boxers(even the bad ones) make efforts to limit the impact of incoming shots while football players lower their head and shoulders and try to increase the impact....

so it blows my mind that every school in the country from middle school up has a football team, but boxing is considered this horribly dangerous sport.. and that was all I was trying to say..

so.. yeah.. pretty much done talking about it now.. we have started to go in circles here.. no new information is being placed on the table.. so I'm out unless you got something new to add.

Those numbers are not saying what you think they're saying. As a PERCENTAGE of people who have tried either of them once (puffed a cigarrette as least once, or snorted coke at least once), cigarrettes have a SMALLER PERCENTAGE of deaths. Your just using total numbers, and that's misleading and useless. You agreed when I said that about cocain vs aspirn, so I don't know why you're bringng back your incorrect assumption. And it's not so easy to keep consuming cocaine "in moderation" lol... but you go ahead and try if you want.

And steroids have been linked to hormone inbalances (which can lead to cancers), and organ failure. They can kill you eventually, and even when they don't kill you, they endanger your quality of life.

I agree that football is a stupid, dangerous sport to get into. But you also tried to compare the dangers of boxing to those of low/non contact sports like basketball... and boxing is waaay more dangerous. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Whether other sports are more dangerous or not, boxing for a number of years will leave you with less brain cells than when you started. You said even the worst boxers know how to lessen the impact of a punch... well, even the BEST fighters ended up with brain damage. SOME studies have shown Amateur boxing is safe, others have shown it's not. Competitive boxing is just not a smart choice for a hobby sport... not if you value your brain.

Those numbers are not saying what you think they're saying. As a PERCENTAGE of people who have tried either of them once (puffed a cigarrette as least once, or snorted coke at least once), cigarrettes have a SMALLER PERCENTAGE of deaths. Your just using total numbers, and that's misleading and useless. You agreed when I said that about cocain vs aspirn, so I don't know why you're bringng back your incorrect assumption. And it's not so easy to keep consuming cocaine "in moderation" lol... but you go ahead and try if you want.

And steroids have been linked to hormone inbalances (which can lead to cancers), and organ failure. They can kill you eventually, and even when they don't kill you, they endanger your quality of life.

I agree that football is a stupid, dangerous sport to get into. But you also tried to compare the dangers of boxing to those of low/non contact sports like basketball... and boxing is waaay more dangerous. But in the end, it doesn't really matter. Whether other sports are more dangerous or not, boxing for a number of years will leave you with less brain cells than when you started. You said even the worst boxers know how to lessen the impact of a punch... well, even the BEST fighters ended up with brain damage. SOME studies have shown Amateur boxing is safe, others have shown it's not. Competitive boxing is just not a smart choice for a hobby sport... not if you value your brain.

As far as steroids go.. I will just use a quote from a real sports segment that exposed the propaganda.. "show me the bodies"... not one death has ever been scientifically linked to steroids.

Also, I would never try cocaine. I just find it interesting how we get into this sheep like mentality.. The gubment says it's bad so it must be!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! The gubment says a lot of shit... Cocaine is bad, but viagra is okay... eventhough it has a list of side effects 2 pages long right?... So even though I have never tried any drug heavier than marijuana, I'm not so blind or naive to not notice that the same people that are saying "Just Say No" are supported by companies that are working night and day to make Americans rely on their drugs for restless leg syndrome, social anxiety, lack of sleep, too much sleep, too much cowbell, not enough cowbell, etc etc etc etc etc.

and all the sheep are fine with that... in fact the sheep are quick to snap to the defense of these companies.. but mention the medicinal benefits of mary J around them..lol.. even better.. mention the fact that it's one of the most useful plants in the world..

So.. that whole rant just to point out that I am not telling any of you to try cigarettes or cocaine.. In fact I am saying DON"T try either because both are BAD for you.. but the more socially acceptable of the two is worse for you than cocaine.

Step 1 for any questions about your medical condition... visit a doctor.. not boxing forum.