Am I doing too much cardio?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Staring At Fate

Refuse To Lose.
Reaction score
Let me start off my post with some info on my current schedule. I just started training boxing and try to go at least once a day for a one hour class, but some days go in the morning and night for a total of two hours. Three times a week I like to take my dog on a run up this big hill behind up the street from my house that takes about 20 minutes and a lot of heavy breathing. I'm trying to make some big gains but I think I'm doing too much cardio to accomplish that. I have about two protein shakes a day and am trying to increase what I eat but if I want to make gains am I going to have to sacrifice running/training? I weight about 145-50 and take creating also, I forgot to add I go to a regular GYM to lift about three times a week as well.

Well we all are different. You could eat more and gain or exercise less and eat the same and gain. Test it too see if it works and if you don't get any gains trying eating some more and if you don't gain then cut down on a little bit of the exercise.

Let me start off my post with some info on my current schedule. I just started training boxing and try to go at least once a day for a one hour class, but some days go in the morning and night for a total of two hours. Three times a week I like to take my dog on a run up this big hill behind up the street from my house that takes about 20 minutes and a lot of heavy breathing. I'm trying to make some big gains but I think I'm doing too much cardio to accomplish that. I have about two protein shakes a day and am trying to increase what I eat but if I want to make gains am I going to have to sacrifice running/training? I weight about 145-50 and take creating also, I forgot to add I go to a regular GYM to lift about three times a week as well.

Are you asking about gaining weight or gaining strength?

Focus on gaining strength, and the size will follow. If you are following a progressive strength program and are making gains, I wouldn't worry too much about your cardio interfering.

1.) I just started training boxing and try to go at least once a day for a one hour class, but some days go in the morning and night for a total of two hours.

2.)Three times a week I like to take my dog on a run up this big hill behind up the street from my house that takes about 20 minutes and a lot of heavy breathing.
Muscle growth or strength increase? I'm going to assume muscle growth, unless you state otherwise.

It really depends on what your training consists of for boxing. It it's heavy in cardio, then yeah, it's probably going to effect you. However, if your running is the main portion of your cardio, that won't do shit, as far as muscle growth is concerned.

Technically, long duration cardio does dampen gains; it doesn't make it "impossible", unless you are a marathon runner or something, but can/will make your gains less than optimal.

Depends what kind of gains you want. Want to build muscle? Lose fat? Gain endurance?

I want to gain strength however I do want to put on some size as well. Should I cut down on running and since I'm already doing two hours of boxing a day?

Eat more and you could probably cut out the hill running if you're boxing 2 hours/day...

What if I eat a big meal after running? That way I would still be getting a good run in? Thanks for the input everyone...

Boxing in itself is great for cardio/conditioning. I'd cut down on the running, continue the weights if you want to put on muscle. Make sure your protein intake is at least 1g per pound of bodyweight.

1. This is the wrong forum.
2. You haven't read the stickies in the S&C forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back