am i doing things too quick?

ninja edita

White Belt
Reaction score
Need some opinions so even though it might seem like I answer my own question here I'd like to hear what u think.

I started training again after basically three years of doing nothing this January.

Dunno if u will have seen any of my other posts or my log if you go in there but I have already injured my back a couple of times and I have a sprain of some sort in my wrist.

Today I did my second sprint session and pulled a quad worse than I did last sprint session(my first).

The first time I did my back doing deads I started with lots of warmups and the weight was 60kg lighter than my previous 5x5 working weight from last time I trained.

Dunno where the wrist has gone wrong.

I built up to a mile warm up and started adding sprints after a couple of sessions and today I have stretched before sprinting but I had to pull up at the end of 100m.

I have been back in training now about four months. I have never struggled like this and I'm starting to feel like I'm gonna be plagued by minor injuries that keep throwing me out of a routine.

Anybody with advice on making something work running/sprinting wise would be good to hear.

Also advice from any body who's experienced a similar or worse drop off in natural ability would be good to hear if and how you dealt with it or even overcame it.

Flat sprints take way more of a toll than most people give them credit for. If you're banged up and you keep pulling muscles, I would strongly urge you to switch to hill sprints. That will limit your stride frequency and reduce your chances of injury dramatically.

For deads we'd need a video.

Seems like you've got some mobility/flexibility roadblocks that need to be addressed, but again we'd need video.

If you haven't run for a long time, and were never much of a runner, it can be a good idea to just spend a few months jogging before you start more intense work. In addition to building your aerobic capacity, you'll strengthen the connective tissue involved which will help to prepare it for more demanding running. Obviously, flat sprints have different mechanics from jogging but the same places are going to be stressed.

As for the back, well, it's better to build up to something round about what you can do now, not what you could do three years ago. For your first few sessions you probably want to get some reps in at what is reasonably heavy for you right now. If it goes well you'll be able to progress quickly if you want to.

Plus the obvious thing- take a video of your pull. Make sure that you're not stiff-legging, and that you are not bending your back on the way up.

If you are starting at a reasonable weight, progressing cautiously, your technique and back position is okay, and you are still getting injured, then you probably need to assess your posture, and also go all Bodybuilding-style on your back (which is actually an awesome thing to do anyway).

If you haven't trained for 3 years and you were never very strong to begin with, then you should pretty much assume that you have no strength at all and just go with the barbell.

I've had a couple of times where I had to take a short (generally a month) time off going to the gym. Each time I returned I just restarted with the barbell. A month or two later and I am stronger than when I dropped off.

There's nothing wrong with taking your time. Not getting injured and being able to go to the gym over the years is far more preferable than trying to go too fast and getting injured.

If you haven't run for a long time, and were never much of a runner, it can be a good idea to just spend a few months jogging before you start more intense work. In addition to building your aerobic capacity, you'll strengthen the connective tissue involved which will help to prepare it for more demanding running. Obviously, flat sprints have different mechanics from jogging but the same places are going to be stressed.

NOTED.IF I DO THREE TRACK SESSIONS A WEEK DO U THINK ADDING 200M A SESSION IS FAIR ENOUGH?

As for the back, well, it's better to build up to something round about what you can do now, not what you could do three years ago. For your first few sessions you probably want to get some reps in at what is reasonably heavy for you right now. If it goes well you'll be able to progress quickly if you want to.

Plus the obvious thing- take a video of your pull. Make sure that you're not stiff-legging, and that you are not bending your back on the way up.

NO VIDEO BUT MY FORM IS GOOD, HAVE BEEN TUTORED. CHEERS.

If you are starting at a reasonable weight, progressing cautiously, your technique and back position is okay, and you are still getting injured, then you probably need to assess your posture, and also go all Bodybuilding-style on your back (which is actually an awesome thing to do anyway).

I AM BOOKED IN AT PHYSIO SO WILL BE ASSESED AND WILL HOPEFULLY FIND OUT.

Thanks

With respect to "building a base" for running, the normal way isn't do do track sessions and slowly add extra sprints or make sprints longer. It is to do "long/slow distance", e.g. to jog 45 minutes + several times a week, for 2-3 months, at a reasonably easy pace. The idea is to increase distance run and time running, and frequency, so that overall mileage in the week goes up steadily, and let speed take care of itself (to run about as fast as you can while still keeping it easy and sustainable over the course of the run). You might start off just running twice a week, maybe covering 12-14km in a week, and by the end be running 4-5 times and doing 40-50km in a week (this may sound like a lot but it is not much for a runner).

In addition to everything else that's been pointed out, Hill Sprints are generally safer than Flat Sprints. The upward angle acts as a limiting factor; it's less likely you will reach a speed where you can injure yourself. The reduced impact(because of shorter strides)also makes HS easier on the knees.

With respect to "building a base" for running, the normal way isn't do do track sessions and slowly add extra sprints or make sprints longer. It is to do "long/slow distance", e.g. to jog 45 minutes + several times a week, for 2-3 months, at a reasonably easy pace. The idea is to increase distance run and time running, and frequency, so that overall mileage in the week goes up steadily, and let speed take care of itself (to run about as fast as you can while still keeping it easy and sustainable over the course of the run). You might start off just running twice a week, maybe covering 12-14km in a week, and by the end be running 4-5 times and doing 40-50km in a week (this may sound like a lot but it is not much for a runner).

I didn't mean to add the 200m as sprints I meant just to add em on as distance to my current mile/1600m,I don't know how far from 45 mins I am,but I will use that as a target over the next few months.

Also ive been thinking,I ride the bike two or three times a week, so was thinking would two distance/time based runs would be enough?

Possibly throw in a hill sprint session as others have mentioned?

I'm not really wanting to make running my priority,just to do enough to get results in my base fitness and to put a bit towards my diet and other training towards losing some excess baggage.

Cheers

I didn't mean to add the 200m as sprints I meant just to add em on as distance to my current mile/1600m,I don't know how far from 45 mins I am,but I will use that as a target over the next few months.

Also ive been thinking,I ride the bike two or three times a week, so was thinking would two distance/time based runs would be enough?

Possibly throw in a hill sprint session as others have mentioned?

I'm not really wanting to make running my priority,just to do enough to get results in my base fitness and to put a bit towards my diet and other training towards losing some excess baggage.

Cheers

If you do it twice a week and build up as you can, I am sure you'll be in much better shape for running after 2-3 months.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back