Am I currently on the path of overtraining?

Biscuit Oliva

Orange Belt
Reaction score
It's summer and I have a lot of free time on my hands to train and I was wondering if following the class schedule below would be going overkill on training? I'd appreciate the help.

Monday & Wednesday
  • 2 (or 3) mile run
  • MMA Conditioning & Boxing
  • MMA
  • Muay Thai
Tuesday & Thursday
  • 2 (or 3) mile run
  • MMA Conditioning & Boxing
  • MMA
  • Rippetoe's Starting Strength
Saturday
  • 2 (or 3) mile run
  • Muay Thai
Sunday
  • 2 (or 3) mile run
  • Rippetoe's Starting Strength

Depends....how do you feel? With so little information how the fuck can we say for sure? Even with the information, how the fuck can we say for sure?

Well, depends on a few factors such as your age, what kind of condition you're currently in, and just how much time each day you will be devoting to this schedule. You should be ok with what's listed here as long as you aren't pushing yourself too far.

If you went from doing nothing to that schedule over a period of a few weeks, that is a little much.

If you slowly added a workout every few months to get there, your body should adapt and you will be OK.

Also, with that kind of schedule, any stresses of work or family will make it more difficult to keep up the intensity of these workouts.

Depends....how do you feel? With so little information how the fuck can we say for sure? Even with the information, how the fuck can we say for sure?

LOL, I love that you managed to say the same thing (profanity) twice in a such a short space!

If you went from doing nothing to that schedule over a period of a few weeks, that is a little much.

If you slowly added a workout every few months to get there, your body should adapt and you will be OK.

Also, with that kind of schedule, any stresses of work or family will make it more difficult to keep up the intensity of these workouts.

Agreed

If you're say 20-23, don't work/student on your holiday then as long as you eat and sleep like a fat man with a sleep disorder, you'll be fine IMO. Just build into it and eat more green veggies then you ever thought possible.

More info on circumstances if you please

I think this is OK if you are splitting the sessions up during the day. Maybe the running and conditioning the first session and the technique training the second?

I do see a lot of room for improvement however...but all in all, this may be OK if split to two sessions.

Agreed

If you're say 20-23, don't work/student on your holiday then as long as you eat and sleep like a fat man with a sleep disorder, you'll be fine IMO. Just build into it and eat more green veggies then you ever thought possible.

More info on circumstances if you please

Agreed.
I was going to say if you have all of that time, you should have enough time to eat and sleep a lot more than normal. I'd also make sure you are stretching more than normal. I'd be sleeping at least 10 hours a day doing that workout, stretching 3 different times for around 15 minutes at a time, and taking in a lot of veggies + protein. I don't know what your lifestyle is, but I wouldn't be drinking either if you are doing that much.

We need to know:
-Your age
-Your training history (experience, some base #'s to determine fitness, like run times or pullups)
-What MMA, MT, Boxing entails
-Times of the day
-Sleep time
-Diet

Obviously very complicated and noone can give you the answer. However, as stated previously, if you are literally only training, it is possible. Especially if you are doing AM cardio, and the different training periods are timed right. A good diet that is at least maintainence level will help. 8-10hrs of sleep will help. Naps will help. No vitamin/mineral deficiencies will help.

Your odds of burnout, injury, or general overtraining symptoms are high. I wouldn't let that concern me. Take advantage of your time and do what you can. If you develop chronic insomnia, lack of hunger, intense fatigue...back off.

Personally, I wouldnt be able to maintain that schedule. I train 2 a days a good part of the week, but that is past the point where I feel like I would be getting anything out of it.

If you have been training for a long time, and have built up to that, thats one thing. If you are getting started and are just trying to do everything at once, I would advise you to be more patient and realize that this stuff's more of a marathon than a sprint to get everything done.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Freddie556
Back