Am I crazy? (career related)

This is a concern of mine.

My end goal is to become a professor, but the chances of becoming one (any time soon that is) is slim to none.

My biggest gripe with most jobs is the fact that I follow somebody else's schedule. Going into the same place at a designated time, working 8 hours, and waiting for the weekends really freaks me out (no matter how much I may enjoy the actual job itself).

A part of me thinks I am being really spoiled/selfish. I am really fortunate in the sense that I don't have others depending on me financially, so I have alot more flexibility in the type of work I take on.

I know these are some serious first world problems, but when it comes down to it, I don't know what I "love" to do. With that being said, how many people can honestly say that they get to do something that they are passionate about for a living? At some point, you just have to commit to something.

My wife, aunt, n cousin are professors. My wife has been an adjunct professor for 4 years now. Its tough and competitive. They usually will hire full time the people who have been adjunct the longest, not the best. She started when she was 24. She gets paid roughly $1500 per class each semester. She has all online classes now since we had a baby.

She loves teaching but she has to find classes each semester.

Ive seen professors adjunct for 15 years before they get a full time job. Plus, the college just pays you per contract so its less expensive for them.

If you wanna be a prof, then keep moving towards that dream

I do this every 2-3 years as well. I am crazy however.

I've "bounced" my whole career too. It's been a richer life experience for me as a result, but I do have some 'splainin to do when I'm interviewed, though. Only once have I stayed at a job more than three years.

Who cares if you jump around? Is it preventing you from getting something you want (financial security, family, career advancement, etc)? If not, do whatever you like. If moving up in a certain role isn't important to you, then why should you feel bad about switching around if you're paying the bills? Doesn't sound like you're living off anyone else or hurting anyone by your lifestyle.

Back