Am I benching enough?

You list a lot of pulling motions. I'd say you need to concentrate on pulling types of lifts for that stuff.

Well, I do a lot of back stuff. I was just using that as an example of what kind of musclke i'm trying to build, functional, not showy.

I do cable cross-overs whenever possible, but there's one working cable machine for a shitload of people.

Functional strength rarely involves cable crossovers... I mean REALLY rarely... The only time it would involve cable crossovers is if you're competing for a cable crossover competition. For any other goal its a horse shit exercise.

Urban said:
Functional strength rarely involves cable crossovers... I mean REALLY rarely... The only time it would involve cable crossovers is if you're competing for a cable crossover competition. For any other goal its a horse shit exercise.

That's a really good idea. You could hold the first annual "World's Strongest Cable Crossover Man". You would make millions.

I hate BTN pressing, but the Brazil guy is right for two reasons. A. the Ted Arcidi thing is true, he pressed behind the neck as often as three days a week B. The trannies in his avatar turn me on

Massgrunt's original question was if he was benching enough, and I think he meant a rep / set thing. I'm curious about his original question because I'm almost EXACTLY doing what he's doing. I mean, I just hit 205lbs last week. I start with 135x10 for my warmup, go for my max, then like 155x8, 165x5, 175x3. Something like that. Does 5 sets, with a max attempt thrown in, with the 10 to 3 rep range sound good? My goal is also exactly Massgrunt's: Functional strength and muscle endurance (for me, pushing a guy off of me in a grapplng match). I do other chest stuff too, mostly for muscle endurance stuff (incline bench, cable crossovers, pushups), and I do military presses too.

But, the question, I think, is about the sets and reps on the bench.

YOu guys should look up the Westside for Skinny Bastards article. I think it is just what you are looking for,

dont max out every bench work out. that wont be to helpful. take like btw 80 to 90% fo that and train with that. that will make you stronger. and proper form. jour joints and rotator cuffs will thank you.

CarnalSalvation said:
I hate BTN pressing, but the Brazil guy is right for two reasons. A. the Ted Arcidi thing is true, he pressed behind the neck as often as three days a week B. The trannies in his avatar turn me on

Yeah, but the majority of guys who can bench over 700 lbs. raw don't incorporate BTN lifts in their workout. One guy's opinion without scientific explanation= case study.

I believe in an EMG the BTN presses showed more activity in the lateral and posterior deltoid's, and isolated the shoulders more (which is probably it's major benefit since that would mean it's the only free weight pressing motion to extensively work these muscles, unlike the isolated extensions and raises...but like the extensions and raises, it's actually a less complex lift). You can give it a try, but considering it's hazards and minor benefits over standard military lifts and press machines where you can scoot forward to start with the shoulders back (but on a controlled track), it's not considered worth it by the CSCS's and Physical Therapists I work with.

Madmick said:
Yeah, but the majority of guys who can bench over 700 lbs. raw don't incorporate BTN lifts in their workout. One guy's opinion without scientific explanation= case study.

I believe in an EMG the BTN presses showed more activity in the lateral and posterior deltoid's, and isolated the shoulders more (which is probably it's major benefit since that would mean it's the only free weight pressing motion to extensively work these muscles, unlike the isolated extensions and raises...but like the extensions and raises, it's actually a less complex lift). You can give it a try, but considering it's hazards and minor benefits over standard military lifts and press machines where you can scoot forward to start with the shoulders back (but on a controlled track), it's not considered worth it by the CSCS's and Physical Therapists I work with.

I respect your opinion - you're certainly entitled to it. BTN presses certainly aren't for everyone, as a matter of fact I have two herniated discs because of them. However, every big bencher that I'm aware of has advocated them. Arcidi, Lain, Kovaks, Clark, etc. They're not an absolute necessity, and as mentioned they are a difficult exercise to perform. It's just a matter of personal preference.

Training to Failure is the only way to go if your looking to put on serious size and strength. Braziluvr is 100% correct about that and if you think otherwise you have absolutely no clue what your talking about...

Bubble Boy said:
Massgrunt's original question was if he was benching enough, and I think he meant a rep / set thing. I'm curious about his original question because I'm almost EXACTLY doing what he's doing. I mean, I just hit 205lbs last week. I start with 135x10 for my warmup, go for my max, then like 155x8, 165x5, 175x3. Something like that. Does 5 sets, with a max attempt thrown in, with the 10 to 3 rep range sound good? My goal is also exactly Massgrunt's: Functional strength and muscle endurance (for me, pushing a guy off of me in a grapplng match). I do other chest stuff too, mostly for muscle endurance stuff (incline bench, cable crossovers, pushups), and I do military presses too.

But, the question, I think, is about the sets and reps on the bench.

you have most random warmup ever. if im going for 200 my workout would look like this:

6@45
6@60
6@80
6@100
6@120
4@140
2@160
1@180
1@200

i prefer long warmups, though i wouldnt recomend using less than 5 sets.

Urban said:

Let me just say that you're probably one of the funniest guys I've seen on here in a while. Functional strength>beach muscle any day of the fucking week.

Grunt, get yourself a spare tire and a large sledgehammer. Hit said tire with sledgehammer until failure. Throw hammer at neighbour's who talk shit.

THAT'S FUNCTIONAL!!!

do what works for you and dont worry what people think if you feel you had a good workout and had a good pump even though weight wasnt good then why should it matter? Hell I do my first set of crap with a chest press with 200lbs for 25-30 reps and go from there but sometimes I start with 150 and do reps with that and change things around and feel good about it. Sure I would want to lift more but if its working then your just going to have to try increase or see what you can do about good workouts

TRYHARD 2001 said:
Let me just say that you're probably one of the funniest guys I've seen on here in a while. Functional strength>beach muscle any day of the fucking week.

Grunt, get yourself a spare tire and a large sledgehammer. Hit said tire with sledgehammer until failure. Throw hammer at neighbour's who talk shit.

THAT'S FUNCTIONAL!!!
Works fot Fedor :D

I'm not particularly a fan of cable crossover movements like the ones you guys are talking about. And yes functional strength is better than beach muscle, however nobody wants to spend time in the gym and still look like shit. I'm still a firm believer that BB weight training and free weights are the way to go when trying to effectively build muscle.

Fedorable said:
the best exercise for hauling someone through a truck window is the truck window pull, you need to practice this, just wait til you see someone in a truck at a traffic light and then get out of your car and pull! You will be a master in no time.
Yep, I usually do my truck window pulls on my ME squat/DL day, but I've talked to some people that do the truck window pulls on DE squat/DL day and they've seen good results as well.

Squabbin said:
Training to Failure is the only way to go if your looking to put on serious size and strength. Braziluvr is 100% correct about that and if you think otherwise you have absolutely no clue what your talking about...

just shut the fuck up and get out...

Squabbin said:
I'm not particularly a fan of cable crossover movements like the ones you guys are talking about. And yes functional strength is better than beach muscle, however nobody wants to spend time in the gym and still look like shit. I'm still a firm believer that BB weight training and free weights are the way to go when trying to effectively build muscle.

last i heard the strongest people in the world (strongmen, powerlifters, weightlifters) dont regularly train to failure.

Braziluvr said:
There are dudes who can lift more than me for sure, but I've done 385 X 2, so I'll tell you what I think;
If it's working for you, do it. The method I always used for lifting got me stronger every workout. I never did 'roids, and there was no way I was getting any stronger than what I lifted. Give it a trial, if you don't make progress mix it up. I've never believed in arbitrary numbers, i.e. doing this weight for ten, that weight for six, etc., when you can go harder. I always put on a weight that would give me 6-10 reps and go to failure. Presses behind the neck and dips will help your bench too. Good luck
So far out of all the advise I have been reading on giving advise about lifting I have to agree with this guy the most.
I would add spread your grip out as far as possable and take the arms out of the equasion. You are working your chest not your arms. Other benifit is if your arms are out further you dont have as far to travel with the weight as if the are close together.

Back