Am I anti-feminist for not supporting Ronda Rousey

No, you're not. If someone calls you anti-feminist solely because you don't like Ronda, they're silly fucks that shouldn't be given attention. Move on.

I got into a debate with a herd of yentas because I told them I found Ronda's attitude obnoxious and arrogant. From seeing her on TUF to watching her press conferences and interviews, she has always struck me as someone putting on a show to hide deep and profound insecurities. The post fight interview on fight pass with her and her mother talking about how they "could have finished it quicker" was overwhelmingly annoying.

When did she become some figurehead of the feminist movement? Why can't we focus on the chancellor of Germany or the CEO of Pepsi instead of this bipolar Kanye West/Diego Sanchez amalgam?

Am I an asshole for not liking Ronda? Am I anti-feminist to say that I can't wait for the day that a girl shows up that can knock her head of? When did supporting or not supporting a specific fighter become a political statement, instead of being a simple fan of the sport?

I have always respected eloquence and humility in fighters, and she is lacking on both accounts. I can't wait till there is a female Couture or Barnett or Edgar. Till then, I am stuck being labeled a chauvinist pig.

Has anyone else butted heads with this phenomenon?

Not unless you consider "feminist" synonymous with a word that rhymes with witch ( A good case can be made for that). It depends on how you define the word.

The very fact that you were in a "debate" about Ronda Rousey's character (and are now making a thread complaining about it) makes me 99% sure that you are one of the "I actually care more about talking about fighter's personal lives than I do watching fights" fans that are plaguing mma in modern day. This entire thing was a melodramatic bunch of bs. Watch fights, don't watch any hype, don't try to argue with the marks, and for the love of God don't take something that's ridiculously stupid so personal. Do you see yourself as a sexist? No? Then if you know that, who cares what anyone else thinks?

No, Ronda receiving a push from the UFC is the same as a private company seeing an opportunity to make millions by effectively utilizing an asset. In the end, it's all about those Benjamins.

Of course they are seizing the opportunity to make millions [And fair enough]. Thats not the focal point of my post though. The focal point is the nonsense marketing and the condemning of anyone who points out what is truly happening. I guess if they didn't shoot down anyone who points out the reality, this myth wouldn't exist and the money wouldn't flow. It's still sickening though. Like a movie villain blatantly scamming the public and getting away with it.

10998657_652948164851522_4240078310829868693_n.jpg

I'm anti-feminist. I'm pretty much against every group of people who wants special treatment.

That said, she isn't what I would call a feminist. She's just a strong, influential women. I don't think those are the same thing.

I would think feminists probably just recognize that there are certain inequalities between the sexes and want to level the playing field. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to realize that these inequalities overwhelmingly favor men, generally speaking. Feminism to me is giving women a much-needed boost towards an equal society.

I consider myself a feminist, which I tend to think of as a subsection of humanism. Obviously feminism has gotten a bad reputation and stereotype as butch lesbians who hate men or something. Of course it is impossible to capture every individual's view when addressing such a large group of people, but that's my two cents.

TS just sounds like he doesn't like Ronda as a person, which is fine and certainly not anti-feminist. There are plenty of people on these forums and sports fans in general who belittle women in sport and I would consider that potentially anti-feminist perhaps.

The very fact that you were in a "debate" about Ronda Rousey's character (and are now making a thread complaining about it) makes me 99% sure that you are one of the "I actually care more about talking about fighter's personal lives than I do watching fights" fans that are plaguing mma in modern day. This entire thing was a melodramatic bunch of bs. Watch fights, don't watch any hype, don't try to argue with the marks, and for the love of God don't take something that's ridiculously stupid so personal. Do you see yourself as a sexist? No? Then if you know that, who cares what anyone else thinks?

You put too much thought into that.

Wouldn't absolute equality mean not separating the men and the women?

Rousey VS Cruz UFC 200

If you pretended men and women were equal physically, they are not. Most true progressives allow that certain jobs require certain minimum physical abilities and that more men will have them than women. Women are actually better at some things too. Guys that talk about being "alphas" sometimes are too worried about looking tough to negotiate well.

I got into a debate with a herd of yentas because I told them I found Ronda's attitude obnoxious and arrogant. From seeing her on TUF to watching her press conferences and interviews, she has always struck me as someone putting on a show to hide deep and profound insecurities. The post fight interview on fight pass with her and her mother talking about how they "could have finished it quicker" was overwhelmingly annoying.

When did she become some figurehead of the feminist movement? Why can't we focus on the chancellor of Germany or the CEO of Pepsi instead of this bipolar Kanye West/Diego Sanchez amalgam?

Am I an asshole for not liking Ronda? Am I anti-feminist to say that I can't wait for the day that a girl shows up that can knock her head of? When did supporting or not supporting a specific fighter become a political statement, instead of being a simple fan of the sport?

I have always respected eloquence and humility in fighters, and she is lacking on both accounts. I can't wait till there is a female Couture or Barnett or Edgar. Till then, I am stuck being labeled a chauvinist pig.

Has anyone else butted heads with this phenomenon?

No. If someone thinks you are then they are the politically correct over thinkers. You are totally eye to eye with me on why you don't like her. No matter what anyone says the way a fighter carries them self outside the cage is more important then winning. Its not a matter of opinion its called being able to see things for what they are rather then the smoke cloud created to confuse people and attract them. She has no honor,respect or humility. Plus she is getting weird with her personality. Do you notice her eyes and body language during some interviews, she is so full of herself its ridiculous.

You really take no interest in the back stories of any fights/fighters or pre-fight hype?

So for example, Cat Zingano vs Amanda Nunes: Cat was coming off a long layoff due to an injury that cost her a TUF coaching gig and title shot on one of the biggest cards ever. Then while she was out her husband committed suicide.

She comes back and gets beaten down in the first round only to come back and stop Nunes in the third to earn back her title shot. Then she has a heartbreaking loss to Rousey and now has to come back and prove she can do better.

I just feel like you're missing out on such a huge aspect of the sport, that adds so much more to the competition.

If you pretended men and women were equal physically, they are not. Most true progressives allow that certain jobs require certain minimum physical abilities and that more men will have them than women. Women are actually better at some things too. Guys that talk about being "alphas" sometimes are too worried about looking tough to negotiate well.

I agree, but feminists don't.

They're better than men at their specialities, and they're equally as good as men in what men do.

They're better than men at their specialities, and they're equally as good as men in what men do.

Depends who you consider "feminists" not every woman that wants to not be sexually harassed at work is a "FemiNazi", I am not saying you fit that category either.

Absolutely, especially in jobs like a firefighting, police, mechanics, military, logging, construction, collecting garbage, farming, ranching and everything in between. Women are just as qualified as men.

Feminism is a political ideology. Disliking a sporting figure does not make you an anti feminist. If you said that patriarchy theory has had an adverse effect on our legal system and education, that would be anti-feminist.

Back