Am I a bad person?

Lol at knew it. You can't know something didn't happen. It is entirely possible a small scratch/dent could have been made.

I would be fucking pissed if someone "tapped" my car and just drove off. Get out and check it. It would probably take 10 seconds at the most, to me it would be at the very least a common courtesy to make look like you care you just hit and potentially damaged someone else's property.

at least make it look like you care bro...:icon_cry2
Dawson_Crying.gif

I was reversing into a tight space in a parallel-parking scenario today and it was pretty close to the limit space I can get our large car into. I edged very slowly backwards but just kissed the bumper of the other car and realised I wasn't likely to finish the parking. Several cars were waiting to get past so I gave up and parked around the corner and started to walk.

Next think I knew this dude draws up asking me if that is my car. I say it is and he starts off with "you just ******* well hit my car and drove off!"

Me: "I didn't "hit" it but merely touched it very gently, I'm sure there's no damage"
Him: "That's not the point, you couldn't know that without getting out"
Me: "Well I can because I know how soft the touch was"
Him: "Oh you're some ******** crash expert are you?"
Me: "No I've just got common sense, let me take a look" - walk around the back of the car. No damage. Even the dirt on the bumper wasn't marked.
Me: "There's no damage like I said"
Him: "I'm disappointed in human nature. People like you make me sick"
Me: "Look, fuck you mate. It's not damaged. What's yours fucking problem?"

He drives off in the direction of my car around the corner so I think I better walk back and make sure he's not doing anything stupid. He turns around and comes back up the road and opens his window. By this point I'm pissed off so I glare through he window and say "What?!"

Him: "I was parked there near the funeral directors to arrange my dad's funeral and I didn't need to dealing with a wanker like you"
Me: "Oh. Right. Listen..."
Him: "....I'm not f****** listening to you you ****"

Drives off

So I'm left with feelings of annoyance mixed with guilt. If I thought I'd damaged his car I'd stop, check and if it was leave a note. I've done this before.

But on the other hand I can see his point of view. And of course had I known he was arranging a funeral I would have backed down instead of getting angry with his insults.

Bad person, badly handled, justified? What would you have done and said?

Fuck that guy for being an asshole. No excuses.

If he was planning his father's funeral he was probably in an emotional state anyways. I wouldn't sweat it, OP. I'm sure several of us have tapped a bumper before. I have, no big deal.

you should have kissed him n the lips & said "see? no damage.".

You hit his car and took off so he has every right to be mad at you.

There's very much a teenager vs. adult mentality here.

Next time get out and inspect the car. If no damage and he's not around, then go. If there's damage, leave a note with your information. He had every right to be pissed off at you. Just apologize a bunch and go on your merry way.

well TS if you ask the question then I'll answer... YES you are a fucking idiot who doesnt think of anybody else but your fucking self... as a common human fucking courtesy when you "touch" somebody elses car you get down, look around to see if the owner is nearby and simply... FUCKING SIMPLY raise your hand and a simple "sorry man" would do... like I said just fucking simple HUMAN COURTESY, only self absorved IDIOTS assume that I dont have to apologyze if I "touch" somebody elses car with my own car.... thats it, like I said you "asked" the question and I gave it, dont even tell me shit now

Not sure if you're a bad person but you're definitely a bad driver.

Driving level: Asian

You're like most everyone: some good traits, some areas that can be improved.

I do think it would have been smart to check but I wouldn't say your a bad person.

I was reversing into a tight space in a parallel-parking scenario today and it was pretty close to the limit space I can get our large car into. I edged very slowly backwards but just kissed the bumper of the other car and realised I wasn't likely to finish the parking. Several cars were waiting to get past so I gave up and parked around the corner and started to walk.

Next think I knew this dude draws up asking me if that is my car. I say it is and he starts off with "you just ******* well hit my car and drove off!"

Me: "I didn't "hit" it but merely touched it very gently, I'm sure there's no damage"
Him: "That's not the point, you couldn't know that without getting out"
Me: "Well I can because I know how soft the touch was"
Him: "Oh you're some ******** crash expert are you?"
Me: "No I've just got common sense, let me take a look" - walk around the back of the car. No damage. Even the dirt on the bumper wasn't marked.
Me: "There's no damage like I said"
Him: "I'm disappointed in human nature. People like you make me sick"
Me: "Look, fuck you mate. It's not damaged. What's yours fucking problem?"

He drives off in the direction of my car around the corner so I think I better walk back and make sure he's not doing anything stupid. He turns around and comes back up the road and opens his window. By this point I'm pissed off so I glare through he window and say "What?!"

Him: "I was parked there near the funeral directors to arrange my dad's funeral and I didn't need to dealing with a wanker like you"
Me: "Oh. Right. Listen..."
Him: "....I'm not f****** listening to you you ****"

Drives off

So I'm left with feelings of annoyance mixed with guilt. If I thought I'd damaged his car I'd stop, check and if it was leave a note. I've done this before.

But on the other hand I can see his point of view. And of course had I known he was arranging a funeral I would have backed down instead of getting angry with his insults.

Bad person, badly handled, justified? What would you have done and said?

Nah, it isn't about you. It's about him losing his dad. Don't take it personally

never heard of you. you sound alright though. were you drunk?

Door dings and parallel parking bumps are expected because most drivers are careless people. They have no problem with damaging others property.

Not in the UK. Any touch is fighting talk. Zero contact ever.

Just give him a kiss and a reach around and you'll feel better about yourself.

Back