Am I a bad person?

Discussion in 'Mayberry Lounge' started by Codger, Jan 21, 2015.

1. Codger

Codger Brown Belt

I was reversing into a tight space in a parallel-parking scenario today and it was pretty close to the limit space I can get our large car into. I edged very slowly backwards but just kissed the bumper of the other car and realised I wasn't likely to finish the parking. Several cars were waiting to get past so I gave up and parked around the corner and started to walk.

Next think I knew this dude draws up asking me if that is my car. I say it is and he starts off with "you just ******* well hit my car and drove off!"

Me: "I didn't "hit" it but merely touched it very gently, I'm sure there's no damage"
    Him: "That's not the point, you couldn't know that without getting out"
    Me: "Well I can because I know how soft the touch was"
    Him: "Oh you're some ******** crash expert are you?"
    Me: "No I've just got common sense, let me take a look" - walk around the back of the car. No damage. Even the dirt on the bumper wasn't marked.
    Me: "There's no damage like I said"
    Him: "I'm disappointed in human nature. People like you make me sick"
    Me: "Look, fuck you mate. It's not damaged. What's yours fucking problem?"

He drives off in the direction of my car around the corner so I think I better walk back and make sure he's not doing anything stupid. He turns around and comes back up the road and opens his window. By this point I'm pissed off so I glare through he window and say "What?!"

Him: "I was parked there near the funeral directors to arrange my dad's funeral and I didn't need to dealing with a wanker like you"
    Me: "Oh. Right. Listen..."
    Him: "....I'm not f****** listening to you you ****"

Drives off

So I'm left with feelings of annoyance mixed with guilt. If I thought I'd damaged his car I'd stop, check and if it was leave a note. I've done this before.

But on the other hand I can see his point of view. And of course had I known he was arranging a funeral I would have backed down instead of getting angry with his insults.

Bad person, badly handled, justified? What would you have done and said?

2. scrubido

scrubido Brown Belt

If you have to ask then yes.

3. A.A. Riggs

A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

You probably did him a favor giving him the opportunity to let off a little steam during a difficult time.

4. paynebringer

paynebringer Titanium Ape Planet Belt... Always Defend ♠♠♠

If that was all verbatim you did nothing wrong, you seemed to have stayed cool until buddy started acting sideways. You couldn't have known he was arranging a funeral, having a death in the family doesn't give you a complete dick pass.

5. Kühle Hand Luke

Kühle Hand Luke Mr. Cool Hand Luke Ice

sounds like this whole thing could have avoided if you did the right thing from the start.

6. A.A. Riggs

A.A. Riggs sweet ... sweet meat!

7. heavyarms21

heavyarms21 Ryozanpaku Belt

I think you could have checked right away rather than leave .

8. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

You're fine.

As far as I'm concerned, it's acceptable to tap a bumper in a parallel parking situation. That's what bumpers are for.

His father's death is neither here nor there. Like the dude up above said, it doesn't give him a dick pass.

9. Zer

Zer Gold Belt

Trust me, this doesn't hold up in court

10. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Black Belt

Just a speck of sand in an endless desert of agony
    You should have given him something to cry about.

[​IMG]

11. Shael

Shael Silver Belt

"crash expert" made me chuckle. You probably could have checked the car instead of assuming no damage was done. It would at least look like you were concerned about it.

12. Plutoburn

Plutoburn Alpha booze head

A dude stole my parking space (I was waiting for it and I even put up signal to show I was waiting for the space). And he said he was going to visit his sick mother in a hospital nearby.

It makes me sick that people would hide behind someone/something like that as an excuse for their bad behaviour.

13. Higus

Higus Gold Belt

I'd be annoyed as hell if someone tapped my car and drove away without even stopping. OP sounds like a butt head.

14. nemosson

nemosson Green Belt

Everyone bumps in big cities!

15. Grrrr

Grrrr BE NICE

Bumpers aren't there because you can't parallel Park. It's not acceptable to fk up someone else's property.

16. adapt

adapt Just the Tip

Nope. He's obviously pissed about whats going on with his life. Doesn't excuse his dick behavior and the bumper tap isn't necessarily kosher but we've all been there and there's no need to check for damage. Shit, its so common in Philadelphia and they call it the "Philly bump".

17. nemosson

nemosson Green Belt

From Philly, so true indeed. Unless someone hears cracking or whatever, no one cares here.

18. AgentSmecker

AgentSmecker Black Belt

Just a speck of sand in an endless desert of agony
    To be fair I think the guy had the right to be pissed off. I've got a bump on my drivers side wing cos some toolbag pranged it and drove off while I was in doing my shopping. I've also lost count of the times I've been sat parked up and some half-wit pulls up alongside me and proceeds to open their door right into the side of mine. Most times they act like it didn't even happen. Accidents will happen but I at least expect a polite apology. I hate people when their not polite.

19. Codger

Codger Brown Belt

I'm not sure I would have bothered to check such a slow touch under any circumstances but I think my decision was solidified by the fact that I'd have been blocking the whole road and was late and was feeling the parking pressure from having misjudged the size of the space.

Prolly should have got out just to publically demonstrate concern even tho I knew it was fine.

20. jackietreehorn8

jackietreehorn8 fine

Obviously if there's damage that's a different story.

He knew there was no damage though. An experienced parallel parker knows what they can get away with. It's more than you think. Your precious bumper will be fine brother, I promise.