Alves vs. Carano

I didn't see the fight, but damn Alves looks huge in that picture. My friend told me he looked a lot bigger than Hughes. I want to see what the UFC does. I wonder if this will cost him a shot at the title for his next fight. I think it should.

Alves has been caught and suspended using diuretics though. How hard you train doesn't 100% factor into your weight come fight time, fighters have to plan out their cut, especially guys as big as Alves. He either had a very hard time trying to cut wster weight, or he just didn't start his dieting soon enough and came in too heavy to make the weight he needed by cutting water

Your totally right, and I have lost respect for both fighters for not making weight, but I lost more for carano who may have not made weight due all or in part to her shortened training camp, which I see as a lack of committment. Alves on the otherhand, he deffinatly made some mistakes, I don't really question his committment as much

Alves stated in his post-fight interview that he hurt his ankle 10 days before the fight and couldn't do the cardio required to cut the weight. I've never personally cut weight but that sounds like a weak excuse to me. As a pro fighter I would think he should have some sort of plan that includes unforeseen issues, like an injury.

Your totally right, and I have lost respect for both fighters for not making weight, but I lost more for carano who may have not made weight due all or in part to her shortened training camp, which I see as a lack of committment.

I don't know that I would exactly call it a lack of commitment. She was shooting for AG (under contractual agreement) up until 3 weeks before the fight, at which time she started intense training. Personally, I think that much work shows a great deal of commitment. However, I also think she may be trying to juggle too many things at once.

Just my .02

Back