Alvarez is turning into

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the UFC is throwing him to the Wolves and hopes he loses 3 in a row. They paid a lot of $$$ for Alvarez. If they can cut him after 3, they can resign him at a drastically reduced rate.

They could sign him for less money because he would be worth less money to them. Not a good way to do business.

He's sick. Why see him fight if he is just going to not perform.

Tito made over 1 million dollars in disclosed pay during a stretch he went 1-7-1

Eddie is not even close to that yet, calm down.

That was at a time when Penn and Couture could have pulled similar numbers regardless of opponent. For the amount they paid him, Toney was a bust.

Did bj or randy ever do 500k+ when gsp/Tito/chuck/silva/Brock wasn't on the card? Just wondering.

maybe

Tito made over 1 million dollars in disclosed pay during a stretch he went 1-7-1

Eddie is not even close to that yet, calm down.

But Tito was a needle mover and worth every penny.

Last edited:
They could sign him for less money because he would be worth less money to them. Not a good way to do business.

I think they'd be happy either way But I agree, they'd be happier if he wins. If he wins, they win, if he loses they still win. They'll just put him closer to the bottom of the ladder and let him kick the crap out of some non-contenders for awhile. It's not like Eddie's got a compelling plan "B" to fall back on now.

Shit post. Flu sucks

Exactly. No one wants to see a fighter with the flu.

1291372414_mma-fighter-vomits.gif

That was at a time when Penn and Couture could have pulled similar numbers regardless of opponent. For the amount they paid him, Toney was a bust.

Yeah, that was the very end of that whole thing. Toney wasn't bust. He was paid to come in and job to Randy Couture.

The fact that Alvarez and Melendez are making so much money is sort of evidence that the UFC could definitely pay their fighters more.

I haven't had the flu since I was in elementary school, so excuse me if I'm wrong about this, but isn't the flu like a 24-72 hour thing? Alvarez's fight is scheduled for almost two weeks from today. Isn't it too early to throw in the towel and say he can't fight? Shouldn't he see how is fairing in a few days before pulling out?

This epitomizes a big part of what's wrong with MMA these days: unless guys are 100% on top of their game and coming off of perfect camps, they pull out of fights.

Alvarez could easily fight but he is scared to lose.

Cowboy is going in there back to back on 2 weeks notice and fighting a guy who he has lost to twice putting his win streak on the line. No doubt cowboy won't be 100%.

I haven't had the flu since I was in elementary school, so excuse me if I'm wrong about this, but isn't the flu like a 24-72 hour thing? Alvarez's fight is scheduled for almost two weeks from today. Isn't it too early to throw in the towel and say he can't fight? Shouldn't he see how is fairing in a few days before pulling out?

This epitomizes a big part of what's wrong with MMA these days: unless guys are 100% on top of their game and coming off of perfect camps, they pull out of fights.

True. The UFC could send a clear message by cutting Alvarez. Since he lost to Cerrone, I believe his contract could be terminated. By pulling out with the flu, the UFC could deprive him of a couple hundred grand and send a message that fighters should be willing to get in there at less than 100%

The conspiracy theorist in me thinks the UFC is throwing him to the Wolves and hopes he loses 3 in a row. They paid a lot of $$$ for Alvarez. If they can cut him after 3, they can resign him at a drastically reduced rate.

Honestly, I think it's more giving him bad stylistic match ups, much like they did when Lombard first signed. You saw what Lombard made in his last fight compared to his first contract. He made $300k at UFC 171 (show/win money) and only $106k show/win this time.

I just got over the flu last week. I was sick as hell for 3 straight days and couldn't even keep water down for about 24 hours. By the time it was done I was a shell of myself and needed the past 4 days to get back to normal. Still trying to recuperate from it.

So yeah, the flu last 72 hours but it still takes a good 8-10 days to completely recover and regain lost nourishment and fluids.

100k plus ppv points? next fight was supposed to be on free tv (i wonder why, eh?)

biggest waste of money? what about lombard at 300k win or lose? sheesh, that guy was super duper when he joined the ufc. uh doy. there were def many more guys that were way worse for the pay they were given.

ANDDD WTF!? why are ppl complaining that he pulled out due to a flu?

training camps are like 4-6 weeks long, right? the fight is in 2 weeks. 1 week from now, he will be 85-100%, leaiving him about a week to train again. within that week he will have to drain his body AGAIN of the liquids he had to restore from the flu that drained his body a week prior. are u guys kidding or really that dumb to not understand that his body would have gone through a lot if he decided to go on with the fight?

Last edited:
He was losing to Henderson anyway.
Wonder what happens to cowboy?

Henderson beat him twice already.
Second one was really easy as well.

Back