Alternatives to squats?

Discussion in 'Strength & Conditioning Discussion' started by c0r1nth14n, Jul 12, 2010.

1. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

I'm almost afraid to post this.

My plan was to begin Starting Strength today. My Muay Thai gym has a weights section, and I thought it had everything I needed. Unfortunately, when I went to begin today, I realized it didn't have a squat rack. This seems like such basic equipment that I guess I hadn't thought to check. I asked my coach about this, and he told me not to do weighted squats. There's a language barrier there so I'm not sure why, but he said to do 3 sets of 50 deep air squats. If that was too easy, I could use an empty bar. Apparently this is what all the pros at my gym do - but I'm not a pro, when it comes to lifting I'm a total noob.

I've been reading up on Starting Strength and I was determined to follow it to the letter, but between time and money, I can't realistically get to another gym 3 days a week for this. I can do the bench press, deadlift, press, and power clean... but not weighted squats. So what I'm wondering is, what would you recommend to substitute for a squat? I know that nothing will fully replace it, and I'm sure some people will tell me to just find a way to do it, but that's not happening in the next 6 months. I'm sure the air squats will work my legs, but I doubt they'll work them as hard, or that they'll work the core. Does anyone have any helpful advice? Thank you very much.

2. DrBdan

DrBdan Something clever

Power clean the weight up and do front squats.

3. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

4. callador

callador Blue Belt

I don't know how big you are, but could you squat out of another piece of equipment? If you had a bench press that had long enough uprights you could start from the bottom position of the squat and so a sort of box squat. There might be some other piece of equipment in there where you could do the same.

That being said, don't hurt yourself or get in trouble doing it.

5. c0r1nth14n

c0r1nth14n Blue Belt

6. ManhattanBeast**

ManhattanBeast** Orange Belt

I do squats using smith machine now, its better on the knees. Always go parallel

7. BoxingFan123

BoxingFan123 Purple Belt

while i am a fan of deep air squats when i can't squat i don't find them to be an everyday replacement to squatting

squat from the bench

8. PariahSmithee

PariahSmithee Yellow Belt

When i see posts like this i thank god for the shadow forum.

9. plugchop

plugchop Blue Belt

[​IMG]

10. miaou

miaou barely keeping it together

Ban.

11. callador

callador Blue Belt

I never tried the smith machine for squats, since it seems that it would be harder on your knees. You are forced to travel in the set path of the machine, which could potentially hurt you. For example: If I did a normal wide stance competition squat in there, I don't think I could even get down all the way without being in some weird position. I would have to set me legs way out in front of me in that machine to get parallel.

12. tinker_190

tinker_190 Brown Belt

???

13. facedancer

facedancer Warning: ***hole

There's so much high a mighty in this forum it's hilarious.

Dozens of people just salivating at the opportunity to to be master of the interwebz.

14. wordjitsu

wordjitsu Tyranny Response Team

In my bunker, with my guns, food and potable water
  15. pliftkl

pliftkl Green Belt

I don't disagree with the instruction on that video, as far as it applies to stability ball squats, but I'm not sure that's really going to translate into getting your form correct for squats. Squats use your body to move a weight straight up and down. The stability ball squats, on the other hand, involve leaning against a ball and not pushing in a direction that is in opposition to gravity.

There are plenty of good instructional videos out there on the squat, including some by Rippetoe.

16. thelyricalmaste

thelyricalmaste Green Belt

If you have dumbbells then do lunges. You can also bring the weights together in front of you like a close grip deadlift but otherwise maintain a good squatting posture.

It won't be as ideal as a squat rack since you can't handle as much weight, but you can have decent strength gains with a pair of heavy dumbbells.

17. MatterOverMind

MatterOverMind Pulling for you

The alternative to squats is being a weak pussy.

18. Bennayboi

Bennayboi Yellow Belt

qfe

19. N3ver3nder

N3ver3nder Yellow Belt

How high can you get the bench rack? You might be able to get the barbell high enough where you can do a good morning type movement to rack/unrack. Otherwise cleaning up to the chest and front squats are an option, or get a training partner to clean it up to chest and then you take it off them on your back as though they are a rack, or getting to people to hold the bar at either end.
    If you give it a bit of thought I'm sure you'll be able to figure out a way you can replicate training with a rack.