Alternatives to Squats and Deadlifts while injured?

KnightTemplar

Green(Goblin)Belt
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sorry to Post another Thread, but this is following on to the one I Posted on Cardio while recovering from a broken foot.

I've since been advised by several Members to lay off Squats and Deadlifts because lifting that kind of weight with a broken foot may make the injury worse. Although I am loath to drop Squats and DL's from my program, I can see their point. Last thing I want to do is make the injury worse and end up with an even longer recovery time.

All suggestions gratefully received. Thanks in advance.

my injury was a lot different in that it was a broken clavicle, so i couldn't bear too much weight on my upperbody

it was all leg presses and various less circuit trainings...with a broken foot i don't know if you can do leg presses but you should be able to do leg curls/ leg extensions and the like

GHR = Glute ham raise.

Would altering the volume make a difference in the exclusion of squats and dls?

One legged-deadlifts, and one legged leg press or pistols squats. GHRs might work too. Do stuff like seated press. Maybe not Barbell bench since you might need an arch, but incline or DB bench would work too.

Also, eat lots of veggies.

here's the one legged deadlifts: YouTube - One Leg SLDL

you can just use a bar instead of a dumbbell.

Lots of core work. Glute ham raises, even if you have to improvise (the first time I did them, it was with my ankles tucked under a chair, knees on a pillow). In your case leg extensions would even be acceptable. Seated GMs if that doesn't put to much pressure on your foot. Leg raises, back extensions, reverse hypers...

One legged-deadlifts, and one legged leg press or pistols squats. GHRs might work too. Do stuff like seated press. Maybe not Barbell bench since you might need an arch, but incline or DB bench would work too.

Also, eat lots of veggies.

here's the one legged deadlifts: YouTube - One Leg SLDL

you can just use a bar instead of a dumbbell.

Interesting point: I use leg drive when I Bench. I may have to stop this as well. Fuck.:mad:

Glute ham raises, hypers, reverse hypers. hey, maybe youll deadlift more afterwards !

leg press?

he says he cant squat because of a foot problem and u recommend leg presses? u'll give ppl more injuries with ur stupid advice

do leg extensions and hamstring curls, and move the contact part up to ur shin, this will take the foot out of the equation

Leg Press was never an option, for exactly the reason you just outlined. I have no problems with Leg X and Curls.

The alternative to squats and dead lift while injured is rest, but Tosa's advice and exercises will at least keep you active.

I wouldn't do any one legged versions because I think it'd compound the strength imbalances that having a broken food would already cause.

How long you down for? If its just a few weeks maybe you could just load up on the upper body stuff. Go crazy one the bench or something.

Where is your foot broken? If it is the 1st or 5th metatarsal, dont fuck around. They have a tendancy to bug you for life if they dont heal just right.

How long you down for? If its just a few weeks maybe you could just load up on the upper body stuff. Go crazy one the bench or something.

Where is your foot broken? If it is the 1st or 5th metatarsal, dont fuck around. They have a tendancy to bug you for life if they dont heal just right.

3rd Metatarsal according to the Doc.

Do shitloads of leg curls and leg extensions. Only until you're healed though.

this happened to me as well, I kept up my core training and worked the extensions and leg curls hard didn't lose very much strength as a result

Back