Alternatives to BJJ

Status
Not open for further replies.

wushurichard

White Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys, I have no BJJ training and was wondering if there was a good alternative. I am looking at Judo, Sambo, Ninjutsu, Wrestling or JuJutsu. what would you feel the best out of these arts would be?

thanks you

Hi guys, I have no BJJ training and was wondering if there was a good alternative. I am looking at Judo, Sambo, Ninjutsu, Wrestling or JuJutsu. what would you feel the best out of these arts would be?

thanks you

Are there all these types of gyms close to u but no bjj gym?

Are there all these types of gyms close to u but no bjj gym?

i am merely looking for an alternative form of grappling that is suitable

do you have any suggestions ?

Unorthadoxity is a tool in modern mma

Why not go to a few and see which you like better?

At the end of the day, your interest and love of the sport, your instructors, the location of training and the training partners is what will keep you motivated.

are you trolling?

.... if not. judo

thanks you

You're only asking half the question...the missing half is best *for what*? MMA, self defense, no gi tourneys?

I will say you can likely toss Ninjitsu out right off the bat though unless you are trying to get into exotic weapons, etc.

You're only asking half the question...the missing half is best *for what*? MMA, self defense, no gi tourneys?

I will say you can likely toss Ninjitsu out right off the bat though unless you are trying to get into exotic weapons, etc.

well i am already trained in a number of weapons but they are undenyable practical, therefore the mix of practical unarmed combat and weapons that ninjutsu would bring is good.

you ask my purpose, well i am learning for general improvement in the martial arts and to learn some grappling that is unorthodox as bjj is so widely spread

thanks for the response, do you train ?

Judo, sambo, and wrestling are all great grappling arts. Depends on your preference, like what you want to focus on. I can't say that any of those three is categorically better than the other. I can however say that wrestling is usually not trained as a martial art, and will be hard to start from scratch unless you're in school or training at an MMA gym.

you ask my purpose, well i am learning for general improvement in the martial arts and to learn some grappling that is unorthodox as bjj is so widely spread

On that front, I don't think wrestling or judo are unorthodox at all. BJJ practitioners commonly cross train takedowns from both. Wrestling is probably the most orthodox, as the takedowns in MMA are very heavy on wrestling. Maybe judo is slightly more unorthodox, but again the high percentage throws are widely known and trained among grapplers. And the ground technique in judo is all found in BJJ, with a different emphasis and less time spent on it in judo. Maybe you'll find more unorthodox stuff in Sambo with the leglock attacks, but their takedowns are something of a mix between judo and wrestling as well. So what do you mean by unorthodox?

Judo

but u are a troll no doubt...

Just can't take anyone seriously who puts Wrestling, BJJ, Judo, Sambo on he same page with Ninjutsu. Troll much lately ?!

Anyway, just wanted to point out that this is a dangerous idea to have:
Unorthadoxity is a tool in modern mma

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back