Alternative to tire for hammer swings?

Lopyswine

Green Belt
@Green
Reaction score
okay, so I live in an apartment complex. I cant store a tire in my place or in the parking lot.

What would you guys recommend I purchase/buy to substitute for a tire for sledge hammer swings?

I am open to anything reasonable. I just really need something.

Heavy rubber exercise mats will help a bit if you fold them over, not as well as a tire but they will save the joints some pain

Just get a medicine ball and do med ball slams.

That Ross training rip off vid posted not too long ago had a bunch of thick deadlift mats cut into squares and stacked on top of eachother with some tape holding them together.

Play around with "no impact" swings where you stop the sledge before it hits the ground.

Not as dynamic but very hard...

Or do it bubble boy style and hit the dirt.

Or if you have a forest somewhere nereby, get a tire, then get a small chain and a lock. chain the tire to a tree and see how long it stays there, its not like you are going to pay for the tire or anything...

Or get a friend who has a backyard...

Thats some ideas for you.

Go to a junkyard - beat tires if you want.......or anything else you see.

Seriously, just find a place that has a big rock - make that rock smaller.

Another alternative is chopping fire wood. Obviously you don't need to, since you live in an apartment, but maybe you have some friends/relatives that need wood chopped. Hell, you might even get paid to do it.

An exercise ball filled with tapioca pudding.

i use a sturdy cardboard box and just stack it with newspaper and hit that. it absorbs the impact so there's no rebound (a problem i have with tire swings), and it's also easier on the joints than hitting some completely immobile object (like a rock or something) because the newspaper gives a little.

OK I thought I might make some real advice too.

The problem with swinging a sledge around is that its small, heavy head makes a lot of PSI when it hits things, therefore causing damage. If you were to take an axe handle and make a plywood stopsign-like large-area striking surface, pad it up a bit and sandwich in some heavy stuff for weight, you could hit a mattress or whatever without doing so much damage.

It might look a bit silly and not have the practical use of a sledgehammer, but we don't care about that in our strength training implements or workouts, do we?

I've always wanted to jump in a pool of chocolate milk and just start drinking and swimming...anyone else?

Lactose intolerant. But it would make a great Youtube video, with the swimming and the puking and diarrhea and such. Kinda like a human "mentos and diet cola" show.

Lactose intolerant. But it would make a great Youtube video, with the swimming and the puking and diarrhea and such. Kinda like a human "mentos and diet cola" show.

That would make a good Orbit gum commercial...for a good clean feeling, no matter what.

Back