Alternative to rashguard?

Discussion in 'Gear & Equipment Discussion' started by mrpopenfresh, Oct 19, 2010.

1. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

Ok so I'm a little tired of rolling with a cotton shirt. Even my smaller ones get caught up alot with all that moving around. A rashguard is abviously the best Idea, but I have a body shape that dosen't look so great in spandex. Not that I'm fat, but it's like a Fedor belly, you know russian style to keep in the energy during winter.

Is there something not so form fitting that could work just as well? I've seen loose rash guards, but that seems totally useless.

2. Dake

Dake Blue Belt

Just get a rashguard amigo. People won't care about your gut in one, they'll just be glad they're not choking on sweaty cotton shirt anymore.

3. floridalawdog

floridalawdog Green Belt

I buy my rashguards 2 sizes too big, because I cant stand the tight feeling they give me when fitted.

4. stille78

stille78 White Belt

5. Tone C

Tone C Silver Belt

loose fit grappling shirt as suggested^

6. dizzydean

dizzydean Blue Belt

Wear a long sleeved rash guard & then a lightly tight short sleeved shirt on top. That way your physique won't be too obvious.

7. Black Marble

Black Marble Yellow Belt

I like the looser fitting rash made by Nike. Works great under the gi and no gi

8. Nickynoneck

Nickynoneck Purple Belt

I know what you mean about the body image thing but iwear a rashguard no says anything , trhey know iam there to excersie and loose weight , really this isnt highschool its a bjj gym .

9. NoLimits1987

NoLimits1987 White Belt

+1 for nobody will care if your belly can be seen thru ur rashie, but If you absolutely cant get over your image problem then I would either try the sprawl loose fit like suggested, or if you are trying to save money I found some decent "not as tight" performance shirts at tj maxx and ross for like 15 bucks. It is no Manto or Rupture, but it has held up well and does what it is supposed to.

10. ChiliDavis65

ChiliDavis65 Blue Belt

I do this. Though I'm in slightly worse shape than Fedor. I like a tight rash guard too, so I buy a rash guard and t-shirt a size too small and wear that to train. The t gets sweaty but at least it's not against my skin. Also, I bathe regularly so even if I sweat it up a bit I'm not too smelly.

Edit: It's not that I care what my belly looks like in a rash guard, but we share a gym with the volleyball team, and I'd prefer them not to know what my belly looks like in a rash guard.

11. mrpopenfresh

mrpopenfresh Red Belt

You know my physique isn't horrible, and I won't say it's body type because I know that with a strict diet anyone can be lean, but I've seen Josh Barnett in a rash guard and it dosen't look great. And you know I really don't care about what people think because it's true that it's about training, and other people there are doing th same thing, not giving a damm. I guess I'm a little fashion conscious or something.

12. MMABullrider

MMABullrider White Belt

Underarmor Loose gear... same material as heat gear, but sizing and fit like a normal tshirt.

13. jaystorm

jaystorm Yellow Belt

I second the UA Tech tees!! They feel like cotton tees, very comfy. The UA outlet store has various colors for $14.99 or Modell's carry's them for $20. Also I've purchased 4 dry wicking tees from
    NHB Gear - Jiu Jitsu Gear - MMA Gear - MMA Equipment - Kimono - Gi - Rash Guard - Custom Gi Patches - UFC - Mixed Martial Arts - BJJ for $20. They look and feel like cotton tees but don't stretch out while you're rolling. You can also personalize them, I sent them a pic of my school's patch and they put an excellent sublimated print on the tee for an extra $10. I also use both of these brand tees over rashguards to increase the belly fat burning properties!! :)

14. jaystorm

jaystorm Yellow Belt

I second the UA Tech tees!! They feel like cotton tees, very comfy. The UA outlet store has various colors for $14.99 or Modell's carry's them for $20. Also I've purchased 4 dry wicking tees from
    NHB Gear - Jiu Jitsu Gear - MMA Gear - MMA Equipment - Kimono - Gi - Rash Guard - Custom Gi Patches - UFC - Mixed Martial Arts - BJJ for $20. They look and feel like cotton tees but don't stretch out while you're rolling. You can also personalize them, I sent them a pic of my school's patch and they put an excellent sublimated print on the tee for an extra $10. I also use both of these brand tees over rashguards to increase the belly fat burning properties!! :icon_chee