Alternate Reality: MayMac Doesn't Happen

Cylence

Flying Arlovski Belt
@purple
Reaction score
I've never seen this discussed in depth here before, so I wanted to get a conversation going and see what some thoughts are on it.

Pretend the Floyd Mayweather and Conor McGregor fight never happened, for whatever reason. What do you think would have happened in the UFC had that fight never taken place?

A few bullet points about that time frame for those of us with faulty memories, like myself.
  • Conor McGregor is the UFC Lightweight Champion, he is 28 years old, and fresh off a dominating win over former champion Eddie Alvarez. Before that, he split a pair of fights with Nate Diaz.
  • Tony Ferguson is widely viewed as the number one contender to the lightweight crown. He is on a nine fight win streak, is 32 years old, and is fresh off a close but clear decision win over Rafael dos Anjos.
  • Khabib Nurmagomedov recently made his return to the sport after a two year layoff, but has only one win of note since that time in Michael Johnson. Drubbing of sacrificial lamb Darrell Horcher not included. He is 28 years old, and is riding an eight fight win streak.
The rankings, courtesy of Fight Matrix, for January 2017, are as follows.

1. Conor McGregor
2. Eddie Alvarez
3. Tony Ferguson
4. Rafael dos Anjos
5. Edson Barboza
6. Khabib Nurmagomedov

Who does Conor fight next? Is it the rightful number one contender Ferguson, or does the UFC make a trilogy fight with Diaz for the lightweight crown? If this happens, what happens to Tony/Khabib? Would they book them in a contenders fight instead of Tony fighting Kevin Lee and Khabib fighting Barboza?

This division was logjammed for a hot minute because of MayMac and has only recently returned to normalcy, so I just want to see what you guys think would have happened.

FHk0YLZ.gif

honestly would care way more if the alternate reality was the one where PRIDE won

Alternate reality? You should see a doctor. It will do you good.

Why speculate on something like this? You should see a doctor. It will do you good.

Yeah. Sorry for trying to discuss a "what could have happened" about MMA.

On a MMA forum.

My bad.

McGregor would probably fight Ferguson, or whatever non-wrestler would get the title shot. RDA would be a real possibility considering he dropped out of the title fight prior against McGregor. Khabib doesn't have a legit case and is a bad style match-up so he wouldn't get the fight for probably longer than our current reality dictated.

On a MMA forum.

My bad.
Yes, stop making these silly threads.

By the way, here is another one:
What would have happened to the UFC’s LHW division if Jon Jones’ parents never had met? Discuss.

McGregor would probably fight Ferguson, or whatever non-wrestler would get the title shot. RDA would be a real possibility considering he dropped out of the title fight prior against McGregor. Khabib doesn't have a legit case and is a bad style match-up so he wouldn't get the fight for probably longer than our current reality dictated.

That's a fair take. I don't think they would have given it to RDA, just based on the two fight losing streak.

But you're right, I do think they would have tried to stall Khabib for as long as possible both due to what you said and the fact that I don't think they fully trusted him after the layoff, but what better way to do that than have him fight what is believed to be his hardest stylistic match up in Tony? It would have eliminated a tough contender for Conor, pleased the fans with the compelling match up, and given the UFC an excuse to do the trilogy with Nate.

Conor, after all, did say that the third fight was going to be at lightweight.

Yes, stop making these silly threads.

By the way, here is another one:
What would have happened to the UFC’s LHW division if Jon Jones’ parents never had met? Discuss.

This is literally the first thread I've made in years. <45>

If you don't like this one, I guess you could always go share your valued opinion in another. Although you will be missed.

he would fight GSP for the WW belt
or he would fight Pacquiao

or more realistically: he fights donald cerrone because tony ferg would trip on a wire and would need to be replaced last minute

That's a fair take. I don't think they would have given it to RDA, just based on the two fight losing streak.

But you're right, I do think they would have tried to stall Khabib for as long as possible both due to what you said and the fact that I don't think they fully trusted him after the layoff, but what better way to do that than have him fight what is believed to be his hardest stylistic match up in Tony? It would have eliminated a tough contender for Conor, pleased the fans with the compelling match up, and given the UFC an excuse to do the trilogy with Nate.

Conor, after all, did say that the third fight was going to be at lightweight.

Wasn't aware of the exact details of the time period, talking about RDA obviously.

But yeah...that would be interesting. In an alternate reality McGregor vs Diaz trilogy for the LW title? Diaz gets a real chance to win a UFC title he never really got close too (BMF doesn't count lol). Would be kind of nuts, even if it isn't pure merit based.

honestly would care way more if the alternate reality was the one where PRIDE won
<PlusJuan>

Things would be so much better... No USADA... Yellow cards... Spectacle... Decent HWs...

I'd trade conor's entire career just for one more final conflict.

Wasn't aware of the exact details of the time period, talking about RDA obviously.

But yeah...that would be interesting. In an alternate reality McGregor vs Diaz trilogy for the LW title? Diaz gets a real chance to win a UFC title he never really got close too (BMF doesn't count lol). Would be kind of nuts, even if it isn't pure merit based.

Oh, yeah, it would have been fucking wild. And imagine if he won? Nate gets a belt while Nick, Gilbert and Jake all failed to do so. Not the craziest thing in the world, but very few people would have predicted that one.

He would probably seat at the top and wait for the friendliest challenger to come up.
RDA vs EdAl (since both were the previous champions)would be my guess.

Bibs, Barbosa and Tony would be put in a eternal loop of fights until one loses twice in a roll.
Then they “never deserved anyway”talks would come.

He also probably would ask for a GSP superfight for a WW tittle that,if he wins,he would use to ask for a super fight against the actual WW tittle holder at the time.

Meanwhile top 10 LWs fight each other.

I don't think he would have fought a contender as the champ. Too much to lose and not enough to gain. I think they would have given him a title shot at Welterweight or at least a big fight there, maybe GSP.

he would fight GSP for the WW belt
or he would fight Pacquiao

or more realistically: he fights donald cerrone because tony ferg would trip on a wire and would need to be replaced last minute
GSP for the WW belt? You don't think Tyron would've minded?

He would have beaten Tony and Khabib, 205 Color was on another level to those guys. A bit of a shame Mayweather happened, it robbed us of about 3 years of Color fighting in his prime.

Hate to be this guy, but Diaz has fought for the LW title before against Benson Henderson... let's just say he didn't do very well.

On a MMA forum.

My bad.
Yeah man Christ it’s an MMA forum. What were you thinking !?! Lol <[analyzed}>

Back