Almost got pounded out in BJJ class

Are you sure you didn't insult his mother or something?

man, i'm all for it. but if both of us know it in advance.

i love mixing strikes in, it changes the game completely.

but if i'm rolling with someone in a bjj class where noone even mentioned any striking and right in the middle of the roll he starts hitting me in the face and neck as the guy described, he's just being an unbelievable prick and should have his arms broken.

Agreed.

If you want to roll with punches, no problem.

Get mouthpieces, and cups, and gloves, and no problem. Discuss whats cool, and what isnt.

But if it hasnt been discussed with your partner, then thats a dick move.

Next time, triangle, and elbows across the dome. 3-9 o'clock elbows, and he wont be pulling that shit again.

I always wear a mouthguard. Still managed to cut me up inside of bottom lip though as I don't wear a full one - I wear it just in case of accidental knees, etc.

Because I am a white belt people tend to take my guard work for granted but I have done jits three or four years off and on - it's one of the better parts of my game. This guy just got mad. I think there is probably a lot of pressure to be almost purple and rolling with a new group!

I don't care for all that. I just wrestle because it is fun.

Any stripes I've been given I dutifully let fall off in the washing machine. LOL

I like your style my dude.

this happened to me once, but it was my bad because we were in an MMA gym and wearing gloves. I'm a white belt and I was rolling with a BB who was training for a fight. I just replied in kind, which was fine bc I was on top.

Then we scrambled and I got kneebarred. :redface:

Last edited:
Because I am a white belt people tend to take my guard work for granted

Explain the "work" part of that sentence for me. First thing that came to mind to me was you had a locked him locked in guard and were not working or trying anything but to keep this higher belt in your guard. Huging, squeezing with all your might.

Nothing wrong with that depending on what you guys were supposed to be doing.

Doesn't change the fact of of what he did is complete B.S. and should be addressed!!!!!!!!

I would not care about it.

Old school JJ, couple of slaps to make sure that you aware that you are open for strikes = no big deal.

Back in the days, guys that fought MMA represent the team and the school.

You are just the punching bag...nothing personal!

haha reminds me of the differing opinions when BJ Penn and Dave Camarillo write about Ralph Gracie in their books:

Camarillo is like "Ralph started beating the shit out of me WTF"

BJ is like "Ralph was just trying to toughen us up to prepare us for competition. Some guys who were into the martial arts aspect more than fighting, like Dave, didn't like it, but I thought it was awesome"

haha reminds me of the differing opinions when BJ Penn and Dave Camarillo write about Ralph Gracie in their books:

Camarillo is like "Ralph started beating the shit out of me WTF"

BJ is like "Ralph was just trying to toughen us up to prepare us for competition. Some guys who were into the martial arts aspect more than fighting, like Dave, didn't like it, but I thought it was awesome"

I wish he would try that shit with BJ after he started doing MMA. He would have gotten the living shit kicked out of him really badly in front of all of his students.

now THAT would have been epic.

Some dude, who has like 5 amateur MMA fights, in my class kicked another dude in the rips because he wanted to avoid getting his guard passed.
Result: Bad bruising on the rips and the coach threw the "kicker" out of the class and said something like "next time you're coming here with your MMA shit you're out!"

I think that's the way a BJJ coach should react to shit like that.

next time break his posture and throw elbows to the top of his head, then go look for a new school cuz that'll probably get u kicked out

I wish he would try that shit with BJ after he started doing MMA. He would have gotten the living shit kicked out of him really badly in front of all of his students.

now THAT would have been epic.

Why? I think it would have been terrible. What good could possibly come from BJ beating up Ralph?

Why? I think it would have been terrible. What good could possibly come from BJ beating up Ralph?

The question I have is, would he do that if he were rolling with a current BJ?

If he did, do you think BJ should just keep his hands covering his face, or would you expect him to defend himself?

If he did, what do you think would happen?

What if somebody pulled out a camera phone?

So to answer your question, the only that could really come out of it would be a classic youtube video and probably numerous threads/gifs/motivational jpgs

The question I have is, would he do that if he were rolling with a current BJ?

If he did, do you think BJ should just keep his hands covering his face, or would you expect him to defend himself?

If he did, what do you think would happen?

What if somebody pulled out a camera phone?

So to answer your question, the only that could really come out of it would be a classic youtube video and probably numerous threads/gifs/motivational jpgs

If that were to ever happen (and it never will) I see it ending in a hefty assault lawsuit, now that BJ is a professional athlete and can afford a lawyer.

I've never trained with Ralph, but I doubt he still does that to his students.

As other posters stated before, if we both agree with some LIGHT strikes before, I'm ok with it, as long as the other dude is not trying to rip my head off or something stupid. If somebody start doing this stuff on me without agreement, I would just stop the roll and ask WTF is wrong.

I'm there for fun. Shit like this is surely not. If I would have liked to be punched in the face, I would have gone to Boxe or MMA classes.

I've never trained with Ralph, but I doubt he still does that to his students.

yeah I was there on and off for a total of 5mo and I never saw anything like that. then again I didn't really see him that much, it was mostly ran by Kurt who is a class act and a great instructor.

That is absolutely ridiculous. That guy should have been thrown out of class. Don't be intimidated or too respectful of his "rank." The guy is a complete douche for doing that.

Back