Almost Died Yesterday

I bought a 96 jeep wrangler ebay several years ago. Drove it about year. Come home one day n parked it in the garage. 45 min. later, my entire house was on fire. The whole roof was engulfed n most of the downstairs. Alarm went off. I grabbed my mac book pro n my boston terrier (we were marathoning Lost). My wife n her friend got the other dogs out. I hadto eescape through a second floor upstairs window.

Plus, I was 4 days into opiate withdrawals.

Turns out the jeep caught fire; it burned the whole house down, I lost everything.

But, looking back it was a good change. I got a new house in a great neighborhood with better neighbors.

I'm guessing that it was one of those times that you weren't scared while scrambling around and grabbing the Mac and dog because you didn't have the time to be frightened? But afterwards it was scary as hell. Amirite?

Nothing more emasculating than screaming for help out of pure fear. I've been there. Glad to hear you're okay, and congratulations on the post-near-mortum celebrations.

Indeed, I remember thinking "god, I don't want to die screaming like a B"

I thought I'd share and curious to hear other stories.
I was under my jeep replacing my shocks yesterday at 10AM, when the jeep rolled and fell on me. I had the vehicle up on jack-stands on level ground, so I'm not sure how it happened. So it rolled and came down on me, I was on my side when it happened. It pressed me flat to my back, but kept my pelvis locked on its side. I remember just screaming HELP, but I knew everyone in my neighborhood was at work. After thirty seconds, I couldn't scream anymore, so I pushed as hard as I could and managed to get my hips out. The wheel hub than hit the ground. I was still stuck, but it was no longer resting on me. Luckily, the garbage men came by within a few minutes and got it off me. Hospital said I had some bruised ribs and some nasty scrapes on my hip, but I'll be alright. When I was walking out, I remembered thinking "God, I want to get hammered and laid tonight." ...and I did.

Did you have all 4 tires off the ground at once?

Now tell me, you obviously thought you were going to die. What were you thinking? Pam Anderson?

On the contrary, it was kinda like that scene in Fight Club where he is getting burned. I freaked out and thought i would get crushed to death, then I pictured a bunch of fruit and some other stuff getting crushed, just the guts and juices getting popped out.

I was 18 loosening the torsions on my 92 toyota prerunner with no stands. I was just loosening it a little and thought I would be fine. The driver side torsion stripped out sending my frame down pinning my head to the asphalt. My buddy had to pull my head out. I had just gotten 32in tires earlier that day from having 30in. If I still had the old tires my head would have popped like a virgin cherry. Pretty sure I have permanent head trauma from it.

2 weeks later I was camping in the desert. I went to leave at 4am to make it home early. I got lost for 3 hours with no gas or cell service. Once I found a road I got to about 75mph when my right front tire rod sheered completely off leaving me rolling down the highway, into a gully, up and hill over a barbed wire fence and landing upside down on a boulder before landing on all fours. I was pinned in my truck underneath my steering wheel, I finally got myself out after 30 minutes and waiting on the side of the road passed out for 2 hours until someone finally saw me and took me to the hospital. Cracked skull and 14 staples later I was released.

Got a few more but im tired of typing.

You're an accident looking for a place to happen!

Old trick I do when working under a car, if there's a wheel off the car/lying around put it under the car on it's side so if the jack falls you still have at least a foot of room.

Yeah, good idea. I'll either do that or use some concrete blocks.

That's what happens when you don't set the parking brake and block the wheels. I would suggest letting someone else do the work on your car unless you wanna become the next Darwin award.

I had the brake on and the wheels blocked. Like I said, not sure how it happened, but I'll be more careful. Not going to pay a mechanic a few hundred for a job I can do in 1.5hrs.

Nothing quite like hearing death calling out for ya, huh? It's an interesting experience, to say the least. The reflection after such an occurrence is rather unique and stimulating.

I've had more than one such experience. Felt death calling for me to slip away into the darkness; pleading with me to just let go. It's an oddly sobering thing to go through. You can taste the finality of it. You can feel the end. It shook me to my core, yet, at the same time, shored up the ground I stood upon. Gangsta shit...

I thought I'd share and curious to hear other stories.
I was under my jeep replacing my shocks yesterday at 10AM, when the jeep rolled and fell on me. I had the vehicle up on jack-stands on level ground, so I'm not sure how it happened. So it rolled and came down on me, I was on my side when it happened. It pressed me flat to my back, but kept my pelvis locked on its side. I remember just screaming HELP, but I knew everyone in my neighborhood was at work. After thirty seconds, I couldn't scream anymore, so I pushed as hard as I could and managed to get my hips out. The wheel hub than hit the ground. I was still stuck, but it was no longer resting on me. Luckily, the garbage men came by within a few minutes and got it off me. Hospital said I had some bruised ribs and some nasty scrapes on my hip, but I'll be alright. When I was walking out, I remembered thinking "God, I want to get hammered and laid tonight." ...and I did.

borat_855_18535194_0_0_12672_300.jpg

I'm guessing that it was one of those times that you weren't scared while scrambling around and grabbing the Mac and dog because you didn't have the time to be frightened? But afterwards it was scary as hell. Amirite?

U right. I guess its pure instinct. But I did have the sense to grab my mac. I was also shirtless wearing basketball shorts.

I'm glad you're alright. Next time see if you can go to a self-service garage and do your own maintenance there. Safety is job #1. Always.

Old trick I do when working under a car, if there's a wheel off the car/lying around put it under the car on it's side so if the jack falls you still have at least a foot of room.

Same thing I do. On another forum a guy had all four up and posted a question on the forum...never came back. Car crushed him and no one was around to help.

Glad you came out ok.

Glad you're not dead TS. Two- or three-hundred posts from now, though, all bets are off.

Jack stands are not something you should skimp out on. Never use the jack as a stand and also use wheel chocks.

image-head_wheel-chocks.jpg

You're an accident looking for a place to happen!

Quiet possibly! Im 12 years out from that shit. I have a stable family and a decent career. Well Ill see what happens tomorrow. I just gave a full knife bag(including over $400 worth of shit) to someone I dont even know but thats how its done in the industry. I learned to love to give rather been willing to take.

Call me a pussy, its cool, probably give you the shirt of my back.

Quiet possibly! Im 12 years out from that shit. I have a stable family and a decent career. Well Ill see what happens tomorrow. I just gave a full knife bag(including over $400 worth of shit) to someone I dont even know but thats how its done in the industry. I learned to love to give rather been willing to take.

Call me a pussy, its cool, probably give you the shirt of my back.

Random as Fuhh.

What's that?

Floor jacks
FloorJacks-e1299256447247.jpg

Jack stands
images+(10).jpg

You use the floor jack to lift the car, but then put stands under it just in case the jack loses pressure (fairly common, or at least common enough to prep against to be safer)

Floor jacks
FloorJacks-e1299256447247.jpg

Jack stands
images+(10).jpg

You use the floor jack to lift the car, but then put stands under it just in case the jack loses pressure (fairly common, or at least common enough to prep against to be safer)

Yeah I use jack stands and a tire for extra safety but jacks have wheels(most of them) and they lose pressure so of not rely on them.

Back