Almond mild allergy..anyone else?

redjako

Red Belt
@red
Reaction score
I notice I get swollen / painful lips, a weird "after effect" in my mouth from chowing on raw almonds (even smoked / salted, raw is "worse").

Its mild, but I've stopped eating them. I don't feeel any effects, like light headedness or anything, but my mouth goes nuts.

Anyone else get this?

Doesn't happen with peanuts / peanut butter (natural), cashews, pecans, etc.

It sounds like you have an oral allergy. I have the same to some types of apples, pears, peaches, and plums. I have a true allergy to all nuts (but not peanuts because they're more similar to a bean than a nut). This oral allergy to some fruits only developed in my late-20's. It started first with apples, then over the past few years more and more fruits have become problematic. I hope the same doesn't happen with you.

A couple of articles are it here:

Food allergies get curiouser and curiouser -- Signs of the Times News

A Pesky Allergy to Fruit and Vegetables - US News and World Report

Maybe try the desensitisation method, get an IGF and ALCAT panel done and look at underlying causes.

It sounds like you have an oral allergy. I have the same to some types of apples, pears, peaches, and plums. I have a true allergy to all nuts (but not peanuts because they're more similar to a bean than a nut). This oral allergy to some fruits only developed in my late-20's. It started first with apples, then over the past few years more and more fruits have become problematic. I hope the same doesn't happen with you.

A couple of articles are it here:

Food allergies get curiouser and curiouser -- Signs of the Times News

A Pesky Allergy to Fruit and Vegetables - US News and World Report
Danke!

Back