1. We now have a new forum called Fantasy Matchup Discussion. Access it here

Almond mild allergy..anyone else?

Discussion in 'Dieting / Supplement Discussion' started by redjako, Oct 16, 2010.

1. redjako

redjako Red Belt

I notice I get swollen / painful lips, a weird "after effect" in my mouth from chowing on raw almonds (even smoked / salted, raw is "worse").

Its mild, but I've stopped eating them. I don't feeel any effects, like light headedness or anything, but my mouth goes nuts.

Anyone else get this?

Doesn't happen with peanuts / peanut butter (natural), cashews, pecans, etc.

2. oyaji poi

oyaji poi oyaji belt

It sounds like you have an oral allergy. I have the same to some types of apples, pears, peaches, and plums. I have a true allergy to all nuts (but not peanuts because they're more similar to a bean than a nut). This oral allergy to some fruits only developed in my late-20's. It started first with apples, then over the past few years more and more fruits have become problematic. I hope the same doesn't happen with you.

A couple of articles are it here:

Food allergies get curiouser and curiouser -- Signs of the Times News

A Pesky Allergy to Fruit and Vegetables - US News and World Report

3. Arpie

Arpie Orange Belt

Maybe try the desensitisation method, get an IGF and ALCAT panel done and look at underlying causes.

4. redjako

redjako Red Belt

Danke!