metrics:
size: A2
height: 5'10"
weight: 158 lbs
body type: slim

photo:
alma.jpg

first impressions:
-light, single weave gi. jacket is two piece so there is a seam in the middle of the back. weave feels a little loose to me, which may mean the gi will stretch out while rolling.
-pants are cotton twill, feel very nice and soft. stitching in the knees and near the cuffs. they will not restrict my leg movement.
-reinforcements in all the right places.
-i am a fan of the patches, specifically the heart patch over your left chest, however, the patches feel like they are iron on transfers on a patch (boo!), which are then sewn onto the gi. i am not positive of this, just an early observation.
-it is yet to be seen if repeated washings fade the patches at all. i imagine washing the jacket inside out on cold and hang drying will preserve the patch design the longest, if in fact they are iron on transfers. after the first wash the patches are still fine.
-i have version 2 of the gi, which has patches on the pants, version 1 does not have patches on the pants. it is not the custom gi, as you can see from my first picture above.
-i like the fit a lot. it has a slim fit, which many japanese, myself included, appreciate. a bit baggy in the chest, but it is not a big problem. pants length is perfect. think shoyoroll batch 6, which i have in an A1 and like a lot as well.

stay tuned for an in-depth review after several sessions of rolling.

Last edited:
i'm not sure why you'd make a thread for a review you haven't written yet -- nor why you'd then reply to your thread with no further updates. however, i will say that i'm very interested in the pending review as i've been on the verge of ordering one for some time now.

please do post your thoughts and photos. please remember to included the size, your height/weight/body type, and fit/cut comparisons to any other gis you own or have tried. also let us know if you ordered the plain white or black or the design-it-yourself model, and how long it took to receive the gi once you ordered it.

thanks!!

Cool! Alma is Japanese gi right?
i am not a big fan of their design
but looking forward to ur review

i'm not sure why you'd make a thread for a review you haven't written yet -- nor why you'd then reply to your thread with no further updates. however, i will say that i'm very interested in the pending review as i've been on the verge of ordering one for some time now.

please do post your thoughts and photos. please remember to included the size, your height/weight/body type, and fit/cut comparisons to any other gis you own or have tried. also let us know if you ordered the plain white or black or the design-it-yourself model, and how long it took to receive the gi once you ordered it.

thanks!!

dude, chill out with the forum patrol. i just got the gi, and i know some people here were interested about it so i made a new thread. i replied to reserve the first post for the review section, which i will edit when the review is written, making sure to include your requested information. forgive me for not spending my life on the internets.

Cool! Alma is Japanese gi right?
i am not a big fan of their design
but looking forward to ur review

ya the gi is from japan. i personally like the heart patch over your heart, but i understand that it's not for everyone. will definitely get on the review asap.

dude, chill out with the forum patrol. i just got the gi, and i know some people here were interested about it so i made a new thread. i replied to reserve the first post for the review section, which i will edit when the review is written, making sure to include your requested information. forgive me for not spending my life on the internets.

jeez, pull your panties out of your crack. i'm not the forum patrol, it just seemed redundant to post twice before actually reviewing the gi.

thanks for the so-so review, but skip the attitude next time. sheesh.

jeez, don't get your panties in a bunch. i'm not the forum patrol, it just seemed redundant to post twice without actually reviewing the gi.

thanks for the so-so review, but skip the attitude next time. sheesh.

Last edited:
Looking forward to your final review! Gi looks really sharp. Can you do a side by side comparison with like a Koral or an Isami?

ALMA Heart Gi review
1.jpg

sorry for the delay, it was labor day weekend.

here are some pictures to supplement my first impressions above. i will roll in this gi on wednesday and update the thread with my findings.

2.jpg

ALMA heart gi next to a sliver of Isami double weave.

4.jpg

close up of chest patch

5.jpg

close up of shoulder patch

6.jpg

basic gi label describing gi

7.jpg

skirt trim taping

more pictures:

8.jpg

close up of gi jacket weave

9.jpg

pants

10.jpg

close up of pants cuff

11.jpg

can faintly see the knee pad stitching

12.jpg

pants patch on side of upper thigh (both sides, same as shoulder patches). only in version 2.

13.jpg

close up of pants drawstring.
@SUPERGRAPPLER: cinches up pants real nice, much better than Isami's which tends to bind on me and i can't get the pants tight enough.

even more pictures:

14.jpg

jacket reinforcements

15.jpg

sleeve cuff taping

20.jpg

mannequin
Size: A2
Height: 5'10"
Weight: 158 lbs.
Build: Slim

Last edited:
special request for SUPERGRAPPLER:
Isami double weave comparison
not sure how you knew i would have an Isami gi, but i do, so here are some comparison pictures. both gi's are A2, though Isami has been washed many times, and ALMA only once (all cold, hang dry).

3.jpg

here is the Isami double weave if you don't know

16.jpg

ALMA on top of Isami. almost identical, Isami a bit wider in chest, ALMA sleeves are slightly longer and narrower at cuff.

17.jpg

jacket bottom comparison, very similar

18.jpg

sleeve comparison

19.jpg

collar thickness comparison. ALMA looks slightly thicker. i don't pay collar thickness no attention. you should be protecting your neck regardless of collar thickness.

let me know if you are looking for more info.

thanks meerkatsu, nothing compared to your reviews and site. you do a great job over there.

ps, that's the kataaro belt i emailed you a while back for sizing help. thanks again for the help, i should have ordered a size larger as it shrank a bunch after washing it.

ps, that's the kataaro belt i emailed you a while back for sizing help. thanks again for the help, i should have ordered a size larger as it shrank a bunch after washing it.

Uh-Oh you washed the Kataaro belt?
I think they say something about it on their website that the belt shrinks like crazy. Still at least you did not have to pay what I paid LOL!!

Alma looks cool dude, seems to fit you very well, bet you enjoy rolling in it.

Uh-Oh you washed the Kataaro belt?
I think they say something about it on their website that the belt shrinks like crazy. Still at least you did not have to pay what I paid LOL!!

Alma looks cool dude, seems to fit you very well, bet you enjoy rolling in it.

yeah i know they say don't wash it, but i don't want the nasties growing on my belt. i've been stretching it after washing it as they also recommend, and it seems to have staved off most of the shrinkage.

i'll see on wednesday if i like rolling in it. can't wait.

すごい!

Wow what a fantastic review. That collar is pretty beefy and overall quality looks great. How does it feel for ne-waza?

Back