Allright next three months I only get to lift once maybe twice a week

yocan

Orange Belt
@Orange
Reaction score
I'm going active duty USMC on Monday. 3 months to get ready for afghanistan.

I'm a pack mule for a sniper platoon. (I'm a machine gunner, they need a machine gunner for rear security.... I'm the oldest junior machine gunner in the company so I'm the best fit and I'm big so good pack mule)

If I fail out of a run, I'm fucked. and by fucked I mean no recommendation for marsoc. Thrown into a different platoon halfway through build up due to being a failure..... not exactly inspiring confidence in my fellow Marines.

This isn't getting strongner, its attempting to mantain what I have.

So with that in mind. I know I"ve got to lift. but if I lift crazy I'm going to get screwed on Monday morning when they do the make the drinkers puke workout they seem to do every week. I'll be lifting hopefully Saturday morning/afternoons. I will be running a lot, and walking around with a lot of weight, a lot. I'm carrying 50 lbs of armor give or take (haven't seen it yet I get it on Monday) and A saw (probably)

So yeah what should I do? I was thinking alternate days (if I get to lift 2 times in a week I'll do both if not every other week)
Primary
deadlift 5X3
Press 3X5
Supplement
Cable Row (suggestions on reps/sets)
Single leg squats 3X15 each leg
need one more

B workout
Squat 5X5
Sumo deadlift high pull 3X10 (first set is a warm up at 95 then try to get 145, usually get 10 the first set 8 or so the 2nd)
dumbbell bench 3X8 (just going to do 90 lbs to mantain worrying about getting tired here)
shrugs 3X8
Weighted pull ups 3X8

My worry here is overtraining. So this is more or less mantenance. The deadlift/squat I haven't gone real heavy in a while due to being hurt so I can without wearing myself down get back to 90% of where I was before getting hurt. The press I suck at I"m going to try to get that higher. Everythingn else is just mantaining. I know bench is usually a primary but I'm planning on lifting it like a supplementary. (can't really do barbell bench due to an injury)

If I'm being retarded say so, if this makes relative sense tell me. If I need to change something tell me why. I'm really trying not to wear myself out.

Last edited:
I would keep it as simple as possible. Limit weight training to once a week with emphasis being on intensity during that one workout, with proper recovery post-workout. You really don't need any added stress, and I feel lifting heavy twice a week along with the training you'll be doing will put you over the edge.

Back Squats 3X5
Push Press 3X5
Rack Pulls 3X5
Weighted Crunches 3X10

Then eat and sleep as much as you can.

I'd do something like this:

Squats (either 6 sets of 3 at 80%, 6 or sets of 2 at 85%, maybe finishing with a couple higher rep sets)
Clean and Press (either 6 sets of 3 at 80%, or 6 sets of 2 at 85%)

Assitance work (5x5-10, potentially done as alternate sets to save time)
A posterior chain exercise (good mornings, back extensions, glute bridges, glute ham raise are all options)
A upper body pulling exercise (either some version of pull-ups, or row)
A unilateral lower body exercise (lunges, set-ups, or single leg squats)

If you can do a second day

Squats to 70%, 5x5 (could be done as different variation of squat than day 1)
Clean and Press 70%, 8x3

Assitance work (3x5-10, potentially done as alternate sets to save time)
A posterior chain exercise (good mornings, back extensions, glute bridges, glute ham raise are all options)
A upper body pulling exercise (either some version of pull-ups, or row)
A unilateral lower body exercise (lunges, set-ups, or single leg squats)
*use different variations than day 1

First and most important - good luck in Afghanistan. Come home safe.

Now, Wendler's 5/3/1 includes two templates for working out 2 X per week, and a 1 X per week template.

If you are interested, I will post them here.

Oh, and if you head over to the Starting Strength site, they have a video of a round table discussion with Rippetoe, Wendler etc discussing how to modify strength training for Military personnel.

Seems like too much squatting / deadlifting (inc. the sumo variant) considering all the work and conditioning you'll be doing as part of your duties. I'd be concerned about exhausting my CNS.

Tosa's routine looks good to me given your circumstances - one moderately heavy day and one lighter day should be manageable. Wendler's 5/3/1 is an awesome program as well, I've never done the 2x a week variation but had great success with 3x and 4x.

Also not to derail this thread, but where in Edinburgh do you lift at KnightTemplar?

Seems like too much squatting / deadlifting (inc. the sumo variant) considering all the work and conditioning you'll be doing as part of your duties. I'd be concerned about exhausting my CNS.

Tosa's routine looks good to me given your circumstances - one moderately heavy day and one lighter day should be manageable. Wendler's 5/3/1 is an awesome program as well, I've never done the 2x a week variation but had great success with 3x and 4x.

Also not to derail this thread, but where in Edinburgh do you lift at KnightTemplar?

Edinburgh University Gym at the Pleasance, mate. Before that it was Marco's in grove Street. You?

Sweet, I used the Edinburgh University gym last year when I lived in Newington. Now I'm using Pure Gym (which doesn't have half the gear of the Uni) but is much more convenient - open 24 hours and near my bus route.

How's the university gym since the renovations were completed? Was waaayyy to crowded for me last year.

Sweet, I used the Edinburgh University gym last year when I lived in Newington. Now I'm using Pure Gym (which doesn't have half the gear of the Uni) but is much more convenient - open 24 hours and near my bus route.

How's the university gym since the renovations were completed? Was waaayyy to crowded for me last year.

It's great; the Vault has a load of Benches and Olympic Bars, plus the DB's go up to 70 kilos each. The ceiling is quite low, so you can't Press overhead unless you're sitting down. I tend to use FW1 for Press anyway.

The downside is the Incline Benches are fucking ridiculous; the angle is so steep it's practically a Shoulder Press!

It can be very busy, depending on what time you go at. Actually, that's my main complaint; the gym closes early on Saturday and Sunday. Oh, the swimming pool hours are a fucking joke!

Is the Pure gym the one where the old Edinburgh Royal Infirmary used to be?

If I fail out of a run, I'm fucked. and by fucked I mean no recommendation for marsoc. Thrown into a different platoon halfway through build up due to being a failure..... not exactly inspiring confidence in my fellow Marines.

To me it looks like this may be your goal ie avoid falling out of a run. If it is then trying to maintain your strength by doing two routines a week may be the wrong thing to do.

The first few weeks of training are typically when people drop out or get injured so I'd only try and do one day per week until you find out just how tough it's going to be. I would also start running and getting into shape for what they will want you to be doing.

At the beginning at least, DO NOT DO SQUATS, or even deadlifts over the weekend.

If you know that you are going to be running on Monday morning, running with muscle soreness in your legs will NOT be doing yourself any favors, especially if you are worried about falling out to begin with.

Start off relatively light to offset DOMs. Train 1x-2x per week. At least 2 days apart.
5-8 sets x 1-5 reps works fine for me. On some days you can do 20 reps of 1 set.

Workout #1
Squat or Deadlift
Clean & (Push) Press/Jerk
Weak Point Training

Workout #2
Bench Press
Barbell Row
Weak Point Training

Workout #3
Step-ups or Lunges w/ weights
Pull-ups weights optional
Dips weights optional

Weak Point Training could be rotator cuff, flexibility, etc.

At the beginning at least, DO NOT DO SQUATS, or even deadlifts over the weekend.

If you know that you are going to be running on Monday morning, running with muscle soreness in your legs will NOT be doing yourself any favors, especially if you are worried about falling out to begin with.

I honestly thought I was doing myself a favor by squatting hard and DLing hard before Air Assault School, where you can get recycled for dropping out of runs and rucks.

It didn't help, and in fact I think it hurt me more than anything. I was very sore before coming in. My Ruck time for the 12 miler was sub 2:30 and I was running 7 minute miles comfortably before I started substituting rucks/runs for sq/dl. I managed to get recycled through AAS because I dropped out of the three mile hill run and the 12 mile ruck.

It was hard for me to understand that being Army Strong meant continuing to run, ruck, and do BW exercises and not reverting back to Powerlifting to train for a summer school.

I know Air Assault School is nothing like deployment training, but it is similar in the fact that you can not drop out of runs or ruck marches. I think you should be shooting to not only keep up in runs, but be a high-speed performer on the runs and PT if you want to go MARSOC. I would not be squatting or deadlifting on saturdays if keeping away from injury and keeping up on monday runs is important to you. Atleast not for a while.

I'm very sleep deprived right now, so Im sorry if none of this makes sense.

I honestly thought I was doing myself a favor by squatting hard and DLing hard before Air Assault School, where you can get recycled for dropping out of runs and rucks.

It didn't help, and in fact I think it hurt me more than anything. I was very sore before coming in. My Ruck time for the 12 miler was sub 2:30 and I was running 7 minute miles comfortably before I started substituting rucks/runs for sq/dl. I managed to get recycled through AAS because I dropped out of the three mile hill run and the 12 mile ruck.

It was hard for me to understand that being Army Strong meant continuing to run, ruck, and do BW exercises and not reverting back to Powerlifting to train for a summer school.

I know Air Assault School is nothing like deployment training, but it is similar in the fact that you can not drop out of runs or ruck marches. I think you should be shooting to not only keep up in runs, but be a high-speed performer on the runs and PT if you want to go MARSOC. I would not be squatting or deadlifting on saturdays if keeping away from injury and keeping up on monday runs is important to you. Atleast not for a while.

I'm very sleep deprived right now, so Im sorry if none of this makes sense.
Actually it makes a lot of sense. If I was with a standard line platoon where I came form I'd be top 10% no problem. Because of that I got attached as rear security for a sniper platoon. So its a little different. I have to mantain my size, but keep up with their pace because I'm their SAW gunner. I think the first 3 weeks I"m not going to lift heavy at all thinking barbell complex from here followed by a marsoc short card to mantain flexibility. Then after the first three weeks I'm hopinng I'm in, and then I"m going to lift. I really like tossas suggestion probably go lighter than the percentage he said though. The stretch routines he has given me in 3 of my threads are all getting written down and are going to be done one over a every 48 hours we arenn't in the field.

In truth I'm starting to think a barbell complex routine might actually be best for me for the weekends all the way through. That followed by the marsoc short card which is bodyweight exercises and stretches. Which turns out to be 30 minutes of work a little cardio under weight, and a lot of stretching. So you know what I"m talking about here it is.
1. 30 Push-ups
2. 30 Air squats
3. 30 Crunches
4. 10 Burpees
5. 10 Windmills
6. 30 Push-ups
7. 30 Mountain climbers
8. 30 Flutter kicks
9. 10 Burpees
10. 10 Cherry pickers (4-count)
11. 30 Push-ups
12. 30 Star jumpers (or jumping jacks)
13. 30 Back Extensions ("supermans")
14. 10 Burpees
15. 10 Chain breakers
16. 30 Push-ups
17. 30 Lunges
18. 30 Hello dollies
19. 10 Burpees
20. 10 Trunk twists
21. 3 Max sets of dead-hang pull-ups or flexed-arm hangs (thinking of doing them weighted)

each exercise after the burpees is a slow breath and stretch out exercise.

(1) It's fine to adjust the percents. If you do, I'd suggest following Prilepin's table. Also, if you're looking to maintain strength, you should include some work at 80% or higher every other week, minimum.

(2) While I have no military experience myself, I do recall Spiral saying he found the strength work he did/does helped him avoid/minimize various aches and pains from the more endurance oriented activities.

Actually it makes a lot of sense. If I was with a standard line platoon where I came form I'd be top 10% no problem. Because of that I got attached as rear security for a sniper platoon. So its a little different. I have to mantain my size, but keep up with their pace because I'm their SAW gunner. I think the first 3 weeks I"m not going to lift heavy at all thinking barbell complex from here followed by a marsoc short card to mantain flexibility. Then after the first three weeks I'm hopinng I'm in, and then I"m going to lift. I really like tossas suggestion probably go lighter than the percentage he said though. The stretch routines he has given me in 3 of my threads are all getting written down and are going to be done one over a every 48 hours we arenn't in the field.

In truth I'm starting to think a barbell complex routine might actually be best for me for the weekends all the way through. That followed by the marsoc short card which is bodyweight exercises and stretches. Which turns out to be 30 minutes of work a little cardio under weight, and a lot of stretching. So you know what I"m talking about here it is.
1. 30 Push-ups
2. 30 Air squats
3. 30 Crunches
4. 10 Burpees
5. 10 Windmills
6. 30 Push-ups
7. 30 Mountain climbers
8. 30 Flutter kicks
9. 10 Burpees
10. 10 Cherry pickers (4-count)
11. 30 Push-ups
12. 30 Star jumpers (or jumping jacks)
13. 30 Back Extensions ("supermans")
14. 10 Burpees
15. 10 Chain breakers
16. 30 Push-ups
17. 30 Lunges
18. 30 Hello dollies
19. 10 Burpees
20. 10 Trunk twists
21. 3 Max sets of dead-hang pull-ups or flexed-arm hangs (thinking of doing them weighted)

each exercise after the burpees is a slow breath and stretch out exercise.

Roger. That. Good luck man, and keep us updated with your status.

Got nothing for ya just wanted to say thanks for your service. Kick ass and come home safe.

Back