Alliance of American Football: What went wrong?

Discussion in 'Sports Bar' started by CastletonSnob, Jan 26, 2020.

1. CastletonSnob Green Belt

It's been almost a year since the AAF launched, and I have to wonder: What went wrong? Why didn't it even last a season?

2. WandySaku2 Purple Belt

I think it's pretty simple: people only care to see the best.

There's this idea that people are football crazy and want it even when the NFL is off-season. That idea hasn't worked in the past and there's nothing that says it'll be any different now.

The NFL would have to seriously do something egregious for football fans to align with some upstart league.

3. TeenageMutantLesnarTurtle Brown Belt

Historically these NFL alternative leagues crash and burn fast. The XFL (part 2) will probably be next. To be honest i'm not entirely sure why it keeps happening that way because with the NFL season being so short you'd think there would be a market for more football, but history has not been kind to people that attempt to prove that.

4. Pliny Pete Puts Butts In Seats

They ran out of money because they rushed the product to market before they were ready in order to beat Vince's XFL

5. n...not crazy Silver Belt

I'll never understand why they can't get anything together. People just don't show up, it looks bad, and it gets worse from there. I have ideas but ain't nobody asking me for help anytime soon :)

6. Dizzy Titanium Belt Platinum Member

There needs to be a backing by the NFL to turn one of these leagues into a legit developmental one.

Them standing independent is never going to work.

7. Philo-Publius Gold Belt

The product was rushed, and the guy in charge of it (Charlie Ebersol) probably had no idea how to negotiate business deals with vendors. They probably negotiated bad business deals, which resulted in obscene spending that tanked the league.

8. Philo-Publius Gold Belt

There will never be any money to be made from a league that has a developmental relationship with the NFL. The only way that works is if the NFL subsidizes its own developmental league. It did that once with NFL Europe and ultimately decided it wasn't worth the cost.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2020
  9. Bobby 3 Sticks Brown Belt

They paid for their timeslots
    They rented large ass stadiums they weren't filling
    They paid a fuck ton for equipment
    They tried to have a swindler fund them

Should I keep going?