Alliance Canada

jackstraw424

White Belt
Reaction score
What do you guys know about Joslins MMA? The head instructor for BJJ is Jeff Joslin and he has a black belt under Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti. I originally wanted to go to Dragon BJJ (an affiliate in kitchener/waterloo) but Joslins has more classes at times that better suit my schedual. So any impression of the gym would be appretiated.
After work wraps up for the season (golf course) I was thinking about going to live with my dad in waterloo and training at Dragon BJJ, is it a dick move to move between 2 affiliate gyms? As far as I know the 2 gyms do seminars together and attend tourneys together so it doesnt seem like a big deal to me.

Jeff Joslin seems like a nice guy and provides great tips on youtube. My friend takes their kid there for karate and raves about it.

Joslin could have been a welterweight UFC contender if not for injuries and bad luck.

He posts on the UG's Canada forum if you want to ask questions directly.

thanks!

Cant find the forum you mentioned. What does UG stand for? sorry, im pretty new haha

Last edited:
You could probably talk to him face to face at the Bravado BJJ Open this Saturday at The Soccer Centre on 7601 Martingrove Road in Woodbridge. A few of his guys are competing and he's probably going to be refereeing too.

Hes in Iowa coaching spencer fisher for UFC 120 right now, so i dunno if hed make the trip back or not (anyone know whose teaching till he gets back?). Itd be easier to go to his gym to talk to him. How do his guys usually do at compititions?

Jacare's lineage....
Jigoro Kano-Count Koma- Carlos Gracie- Rolls Gracie- Then Romero "Jacare" Cavalcanti

Yeah you're fine.

Last edited:
Hes in Iowa coaching spencer fisher for UFC 120 right now, so i dunno if hed make the trip back or not (anyone know whose teaching till he gets back?). Itd be easier to go to his gym to talk to him. How do his guys usually do at compititions?

He's coming back. Cobrhina's doing a seminar on the 25/26th. I'm hoping I can get the money for that. I think he was also going to see if Spencer wanted to take a trip up for it.

Jeff's also on Twitter/Facebook, and he's got a blog page. He also occasionally posts here.

He's coming back. Cobrhina's doing a seminar on the 25/26th. I'm hoping I can get the money for that. I think he was also going to see if Spencer wanted to take a trip up for it.

Jeff's also on Twitter/Facebook, and he's got a blog page. He also occasionally posts here.

Nice, thanks. How do you like the BJJ classes there?

I enjoy them. Each class tends to be dedicated to a particular situation, like for one we'd start with escaping mount to guard, either sweep to mount or work on guard-based submissions. We'd learn each thing separately, and then learn how they work together. They're pretty relaxed there, show respect and work hard, but they're not super strict as far as being on time.

Jeff usually had 3 or so beginner-available classes he taught (in addition to the advanced rank classes and the MMA program), it was Tuesday-Gi, Wednesday-NoGi and a Saturday-Gi, but I just noticed they put out a new schedule last week. The other classes were taught by some of the more advanced guys (what was the monday open no gi was taught by a blue belt who constantly competed; the sunday gi was a brown belt; and the thursday morning/afternoon nogi was dependant on who showed up at that time, the last one I was at had a visiting wrestler who I think was going for the Olympics in 2012). Can't remember names, because I'm a doofus.

The beginner classes didn't usually have free rolling, mostly drilling and resistance-drilling (opponent actively trying to prevent you from performing the move). The open belt and advanced classes tended to roll at the end.

I've been out for just under a month because I lost my job and didn't have enough money to keep it up, but I should be back in the next week or so. I did gi and no-gi (and kickboxing).

good stuff, so do you think the classes are going back to normal once Jeff gets back? It worked out really well with my schedual. Ill definatly have to pop in or give them a call.

Here are some answers for you:

Jeff is in Iowa training Spencer Fisher until Fisher fights. He said he would be bringing spencer back for the cobrinha seminar on the 25th/26th.

The schedule is now and will continue to be what is posted at Hamilton obviously while Jeff is gone people are filling in teaching the classes for him, when he gets back he'll be teaching most of the classes again.

As far as training at Joslins then moving to Waterloo and training at Dragan's gym that should be a non-issue, we're one team. I've trained at Joslins for over 5 years and if I moved to Waterloo I'd be at Dragans the day after I moved.

Edit; I dont know why but I posted the link to Joslins website and it changed it to Hamilton and provided a link, either way just click the link.

I think it's the first time they've changed the schedules in a while, so I don't know. Definitely go up, check out a class.

Hamilton has the updated schedule, and they usually have a bunch printed out (with membership/equipment prices attached) just outside the office.

Back