All-time greatest white boxer?

Interesting point because GGG is half white and half asian (Korean). So would he considered white or asian? Is 50% white enough to be considered white? Because if it is then you could have Andre Ward who is also half white being put forward as a potential candidate. How does Andre Ward identify himself in terms of race? I think in America if you are half black then you are considered to be part of the black race or at least that's the impression I've got.

Most of that stems from the one drop rule. Whiteness is rather arbitrary and the understanding of it clearly changes with time. A lot of people in the American public wouldn't have considered Benny Leonard (Benyamin Leiner) or Willie Pep (Guglielmo Papaleo) as "white" when they fought. Many Latin America fighters who wouldn't be recognized as white even today in the US would be universally recognized as white within their own countries.

Most of that stems from the one drop rule. Whiteness is rather arbitrary and the understanding of it clearly changes with time. A lot of people in the American public wouldn't have considered Benny Leonard (Benyamin Leiner) or Willie Pep (Guglielmo Papaleo) as "white" when they fought. Many Latin America fighters who wouldn't be recognized as white even today in the US would be universally recognized as white within their own countries.
Ok that makes sense but what would be your opinion on whether or not GGG is considered white even though he is half asian? I mean he looks fairly white.

Ok that makes sense but what would be your opinion on whether or not GGG is considered white even though he is half asian? I mean he looks fairly white.

My opinion would be that it doesn't really matter. Asians or "whites" (or Kazakhstanis, Russians, Slavs, Koreans, and so on) can claim him as their own if they want and it makes little to no difference to me. At the end of the day he's a great fighter and a good ambassador for the sport.

GGG was born is Asia and has a parent from Asia. That makes him clearly of the same race as someone from Japan, Sri Lanka or Israel.

GGG is not white .......... just look at him.

I thought he was pure Kazak but it seems he's 1/2 Russian 1/2 Korean unless someones lying because to me he looks exactly where he's from Kazakhstan.

I don't know if Russians look down on Kazaks so there some sort of denial but he looks Kazakstani, funnily enough which is where he was born.

....... but I'll take his word for it.

marcel cerdan. fought his way through the divisions and he was still a killa in the higher weight classes. classic textbook style and a big punch.

So this thread looks like it’s licking joe rogans undies but if the first three names I read for best white boxer ever are wlad, joe and Conor cmon man.

What constitutes a "white" fighter?.. . .Black Americans consider another a brotha is you have a faint look of African features and/or speak with an Ebonics accent. . . . .Native American Indians will enroll you in a tribe with 1/16 bloodlines.
Jack Dempsey was a quarter Cherokee. So was Joe Louis: "Our grandmothers, long before the (Civil) war, were never less than half white. Our grandfathers, for the most part, were the big white landowners and the big Indian warriors.
"We were all at least three-fourths white and the the rest is more Indian than African.

Muhammad Ali's mother was half Irish and he claimed to be black.
Sugar Ray Leonard revealed that he is of a quarter Indian decent.
Joe "The Boss" Hipp's mother was half German and he embraced Indian ethnicity.

So is Dempsey a white fighter?. . . .Who is really what?. . . . or is there a category for those who are a quarter of anything else? What percentage white does one have to be?. . . .and do they have to be whites of Nordic decent? or Aryans? or Anglo-Saxons?. . . and is a black fighter who speaks like an Englishman like Lennox Lewis really black because he does not have a Americanized Ebonics accent?

Last edited:
What constitutes a "white" fighter?.. . .Black Americans consider another a brotha is you have a faint look of African features and/or speak with an Ebonics accent. . . . .Native American Indians will enroll you in a tribe with 1/16 bloodlines.
Jack Dempsey was a quarter Cherokee. So was Joe Louis: "Our grandmothers, long before the (Civil) war, were never less than half white. Our grandfathers, for the most part, were the big white landowners and the big Indian warriors.
"We were all at least three-fourths white and the the rest is more Indian than African.

So is Dempsey a white fighter?. . . .Who is really what?. . . . or is there a category for those who are a quarter of anything else? What percentage white does one have to be?. . . .and do they have to be whites of Nordic decent? or Aryans? or Anglo-Saxons?. . . and is a black fighter who speaks like an Englishman like Lennox Lewis really black because he does not have a Americanized Ebonics accent?
Well stated. What I would say is look at a country like South Africa, without googling ethnicity tell me the best cricketers from the last 20 years who get called colored

Tossup between Clinton Woods and Kubrat Pulev.

The Professor, Azumah Nelson

275px-Azumah161748761.jpg

You've basically outlined what a crock of shit 'race' is. It's as much a social construct as anything scientific. Maybe the whole race obsession will fade as people get more mixed as seems to be happening. That can only be a good thing in my book.

You've basically outlined what a crock of shit 'race' is. It's as much a social construct as anything scientific. Maybe the whole race obsession will fade as people get more mixed as seems to be happening. That can only be a good thing in my book.
race is not a social construct.

Marciano never lost gotta go Rocky ....... but Dempsey was a monster as well.

Back