All-time greatest white boxer?

Probably willie pep, lots of people still think he was the best pfp ever over srr. angie, gil clancy, many others. I don't know, he quit a couple times against saddler, that has to hurt his case and he had no punch whatsoever, those are flaws for sure.

surprised to see anyone still thinks blacks dominate, they haven't dominated since the euros and latinos have taken over for the same reasons fighters always dominate, they are hungrier. Americans, black/white/brown are pussified today.

Who do ya think?

Contenders:

Jack Dempsey
Gene Tunney
Willie Pep
Benny Leonard
Rocky Marciano
Harry Greb
Jake LaMotta
Marcel Cerdan
Mickey Walker
Jimmy Wilde
most of those guys are from eras before boxing really hit it's stride, meaning most of them look funny on film to me. Great? sure, but in context of their times.

Harry Greb. He beat tons of hall of famers and was the only guy to beat Gene Tunney

Max Schmeling I didn't see in OP.

Tommy Loughran is worth mentioning too (he may well have been mentioned, I did not read all the thread).

I wouldn't say either of the above = the best, but both were damn good. Tommy especially, a LHW who got a draw against Tunney that could have gone his way (by many primary sources), and he campaigned successfully at HW beating both Baer and Braddock who became HW champs. He also beat Walker, and Greb (though lost a lot more to Harry).

There should be a well-written book about Tommy...

Who do ya think?

Contenders:

Jack Dempsey
Gene Tunney
Willie Pep
Benny Leonard
Rocky Marciano
Harry Greb
Jake LaMotta
Marcel Cerdan
Mickey Walker
Jimmy Wilde

giphy.gif

CA - NE - LO !!
giphy.gif

bork1} .

Who do ya think?

Contenders:

Jack Dempsey
Gene Tunney
Willie Pep
Benny Leonard
Rocky Marciano
Harry Greb
Jake LaMotta
Marcel Cerdan
Mickey Walker
Jimmy Wilde

Joe Calzage?

He may not have the legend behind him that the guys on your list do but look at his wins.

Undefeated, beat fighters like Eubank, Steve Collins, Bernard Hopkins and the fight I told him to have .......... Roy Jones Jr.

That last bit is a true story.

Also he was the most skilled boxer compared to your list.

Joe Calzage?

He may not have the legend behind him that the guys on your list do but look at his wins.

Undefeated, beat fighters like Eubank, Steve Collins, Bernard Hopkins and the fight I told him to have .......... Roy Jones Jr.

That last bit is a true story.

Also he was the most skilled boxer compared to your list.

Joe Calzaghe was more skilled than Willie Pep and Benny Leonard?

Joe Calzaghe was more skilled than Willie Pep and Benny Leonard?

Pep yeah, I see what your saying but very different types of fighters though.

Its hard to compare LW / WW to Super MW and LHW because the little guys are so quick and have stamina.

Its definitely there for consideration.

Benny Leonard I don't know because I've barely seen his fights.

this isn't an argument of being one of the greatest, but would you guys consider Gennady Golovkin white? Kind of off topic, but while everybody was talking about white boxers I might as well ask
Interesting point because GGG is half white and half asian (Korean). So would he considered white or asian? Is 50% white enough to be considered white? Because if it is then you could have Andre Ward who is also half white being put forward as a potential candidate. How does Andre Ward identify himself in terms of race? I think in America if you are half black then you are considered to be part of the black race or at least that's the impression I've got.

Pep yeah, I see what your saying but very different types of fighters though.

Its hard to compare LW / WW to Super MW and LHW because the little guys are so quick and have stamina.

Its definitely there for consideration.

Benny Leonard I don't know because I've barely seen his fights.

Is it? There is no comparing their resumes; Pep and Leonard are miles ahead in that regard. Calzaghe had a drawish fight with a 43 year old Hopkins where it was only his stamina, workrate, and shoe-shining that pulled him through. Pep, on the other hand, is arguably the greatest pure boxer in the history of the sport. It's pretty hard to put him in the same conversation as either Leonard or Pep.

Back