All-time greatest white boxer?

I'd puke if I ever see Joe listed alongside those great, great fighters. Not when he admitted himself he only wanted money fights. Nopeeee!

Joe was a great fighter. Maybe he won't make it on an ATG list but certainly greatest of the last 50 years. Most of the names people were throwing out there pre-date video or radio broadcasts. Calzaghe is a "modern" great.

I wasn't aware he made that comment, but let's not bullshit here, there is no fault in a professional fighter wanting the biggest money he can get to step into the ring. Consider all it takes to get to the top and stay there, not to mention the risks to ones health. It is prize fighting after all, and as much as we over romanticize the warriors of old, if they had the option and opportunity to pick fights that would maximize their money the way modern fighters do they damn well would have.

Joe was a great fighter. Maybe he won't make it on an ATG list but certainly greatest of the last 50 years. Most of the names people were throwing out there pre-date video or radio broadcasts. Calzaghe is a "modern" great.

I wasn't aware he made that comment, but let's not bullshit here, there is no fault in a professional fighter wanting the biggest money he can get to step into the ring. Consider all it takes to get to the top and stay there, not to mention the risks to ones health. It is prize fighting after all, and as much as we over romanticize the warriors of old, if they had the option and opportunity to pick fights that would maximize their money the way modern fighters do they damn well would have.

He isn't one of the greatest white fighters. Not when there are 15-20 that can be rated above him.

He isn't one of the greatest white fighters. Not when there are 15-20 that can be rated above him.

I can see your point, but I think he makes it into the conversation. And like I said in the modern era he makes it in the conversation of great fighters regardless of race.

I can see your point, but I think he makes it into the conversation. And like I said in the modern era he makes it in the conversation of great fighters regardless of race.

when is the modern era? He still is hardly a top 50 fighter in the modern era.

In my mind the modern era would encompass the past 50 years or so. I would put him in the top 50 of that era.
Top 50 of the modern era isn't that great. I'd say the top 25 out of the best 50 of the modern era is actually "great" Holyfiled, Spinks, Holmes, Whitaker, Jones, Monzon, Delahoya, Benitez, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Toney, Hopkins, Duran, Tyson, Pedroza etc.

Top 50 of the modern era isn't that great. I'd say the top 25 out of the best 50 of the modern era is actually "great" Holyfiled, Spinks, Holmes, Whitaker, Jones, Monzon, Delahoya, Benitez, Hagler, Hearns, Leonard, Toney, Hopkins, Duran, Tyson, Pedroza etc.
lmao I forgot Ali.

Ali, Chavez, Arguello, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Morales, Barrera, Sanchez, Gomez, Ortiz, Saldivar

Good god. Too many greats even in the last 50 years. Calzaghe just didn't stack up.

lmao I forgot Ali.

Ali, Chavez, Arguello, Mayweather, Pacquiao, Morales, Barrera, Sanchez, Gomez, Ortiz, Saldivar

Good god. Too many greats even in the last 50 years. Calzaghe just didn't stack up.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe you could elaborate on why you wouldn't put him in that class? I've already said my reasons for doing so earlier in the thread.

Ranking all time greats is difficult because there are so many names you have to rely on stories of to put them on the list. It's like they are an all time great just because people have always said they were, but the truth tends to dilute itself over the decades.

I respectfully disagree. Maybe you could elaborate on why you wouldn't put him in that class? I've already said my reasons for doing so earlier in the thread.

Ranking all time greats is difficult because there are so many names you have to rely on stories of to put them on the list. It's like they are an all time great just because people have always said they were, but the truth tends to dilute itself over the decades.

You really need an explanation as to why a guy like Chavez or Sanchez needs an explanation ovr Calzaghe?

I see your point I guess its a controversial topic I guess, What would you say your reasoning for the the 60-00 era of heavyweights being mainly black, would you put it entirely down to social economic situation of black males, as am guessing there's a lot of poor white kids out there who try there hand at boxing.

Maybe Joe Louis inspired more blacks to get into boxing (Then Ali did the same a little later on)?

Marciano maybe only encouraged Italian-Americans instead of whites?

So maybe the majority of HW boxers during that time period were black that's why they had most success?

You really need an explanation as to why a guy like Chavez or Sanchez needs an explanation ovr Calzaghe?

Nope, I didn't say that. I just asked if you would elaborate on why Calzaghe doesn't belong on a list of the 50 greatest of the past 50 years.

Nope, I didn't say that. I just asked if you would elaborate on why Calzaghe doesn't belong on a list of the 50 greatest of the past 50 years.

Because there havent been 50 great fighters worthy of accolades. Like I said, 30 or so After that they pick up the scraps.

Back