All Time GOAT poll

thanks for the technical correction, and I know you weren't trying to be a smart ass. I also know you understood my point, basically that gsp has more votes for him than the others in the list.

Actually its not just a technical correction or being a smart ass, there's a real difference between plurality and majority. It comes up regularly in politics -- for instance if there are three people running for an office in a first-past-the-post system its possible (and happens from time to time) that the division is 40%-30%-30%, and the winner gets in with less than even half the people voting for them. And they still talk about mandates despite the fact that the majority of voters didn't want them.

It comes up all the time in engineering applications -- sometimes along the lines of the best bid gets 15% of the votes and the other 85% are split among 20 or so other candidates. The one with 15% did the best, but is still a long way from being the choice that everyone is happy with.

In this case, GSP has a third of the votes. That's better than anyone else, but its a long way from a majority -- again, two times as many people think someone else is the GOAT (though they can't agree on who) than think he is the GOAT.

And I think that's actually a good sign. Is there any agreement on what's the best book? The best movie? The best music? The best sport? The best flavor of ice-cream? No, because there are a lot of good options. The fact that there's nothing like agreement on who's the GOAT of MMA is a sign that there are several very good fighters, which is good for MMA. The only time everyone agrees on the best of anything is when its something almost no one does so there's no competition.

1-most title fight wins ever (14)
2- 2nd longest consecutive defense streak (9)
3- 2nd most UFC victories (20)
4- multiple weight champion
5- won 32 consecutive rounds
6- defeated more UFC champions than anyone else
7- most takedowns and strikes ever landed in UFC history
8- never tested positive on a drug test (unlike many more like Jones and Silva), and was the one begging the UFC to add more tests
9- avenged his only 2 losses ever
10- still fought past his prime (a veeerry risky move), and won

Indeed.

But haters will find a way to twist everything listed. Facts aren't important to them.

Sherdog doesn’t care about facts.
As some of the following posts will prove.

13. Tapped to strikes against Serra

I kid, I kid.

Definitely one of the GOATs

Only three Canadian fighters ever held UFC belts.

13. The Lance Armstrong of MMA.

I'm sorry but this title belongs to Jon Bones
bKjugO.gif

14 - Is the only UFC fighter besides Tim Kennedy to host his own show on the History Channel.
268x0w.jpg

GSP is definitely the GOAT.

Jon Jones is a great fighter and has a fanastic record, but he's eliminated due to multiple PED violations. When you need to hire a team and make new exceptions to allow you to test positive for banned substances and still fight ... you're not in the "GOAT" conversation anymore.

The only way Jon becomes the GOAT, is if he stops testing positive for M3 metabolites or any other banned substances, moves to heavyweight and then wins + defends the belt 4-5 times. If he did that, all while testing clean, then I'd have no choice but to admit he's the GOAT.... no matter how much I Hate him.

Most times vacated a title (2) instead of fighting the #1 contender (Hendricks, IC Whittaker)
That tells me that he’s held multiple titles and didn’t hold up any divisions. Also context, talks before Condit fight about retirement and his health issues after move to 185.
Wouldn’t anyone vacating a title not be facing the number one contender?
But thanks for sharing. Always nice to see fellow GSP fans adding to the conversation!

1) Fedor
2) GSP

But thats still giving GSP mad props. Nice list TS.
You've got a good point.

Fedor gets knocked because the end of his career went badly. Same with Anderson Silva. Also, Fedor's accomplishments are hurt by the fact that Nogeuira and Cro Cop didn't do better in the UFC. They were hyped as the 3 best heavyweights in the world ... but that didn't go so well in the UFC.

GSP would have won against Silva. GSP stand up is at higher level than a lot of people give him credit for. His standup would have allowed him to take Silva down at will and crushe him in a left no doubt decision.

Back