All Time GOAT poll

The goat is jon Jones. He fought the best and dominate most with their style (not bisping.)If Jon wasn't a tit this pole would be like 98%

GOAT is subjective; there's simply nothing close to consensus on what the criteria are, let alone who best matches them. Which means expecting 98% of people to agree on it is like expecting 98% of people to agree on what the best rock band is, or the best book, or the best movie etc. People simply never come to consensus on subjective things -- which is kind of what makes these threads entertaining; its the diversity of opinion that keeps them interesting.

He's in the top four in my books, but I don't expect my opinion to be anything close to universal.

Damn millennials voting without seeing Fedor crush everyone for 10 years.

I would have said gsp but I see Jones is on his way up to greatness(very talented fighter as well), if he can stay clean, and not cheat(illegal roid use/enhancement drugs), I think he could do great with some super fight match ups (ie.vs cain velasquez) as well, I want to see happen. I think he uses his reach well, I think if he worked and focused on his boxing a LOT more he would/could be the best or one of the GOAT

I would have said gsp but I see Jones is on his way up to greatness(very talented fighter as well), if he can stay clean, and not cheat(illegal roid use/enhancement drugs), I think he could do great with some super fight match ups (ie.vs cain velasquez) as well, I want to see happen. I think he uses his reach well, I think if he worked and focused on his boxing a LOT more he would/could be the best or one of the GOAT

A 10 loss guy and PED abuser.

A guy that in his 18th career fight was fighting a guy that was 0-1. How is that even possible?

The guy who has become the poster child for PED abuse and pulsing jokes.
I could care less about guys losing after their prime years.

Anderson held the title for 2,457 days. He was unbeatable. Muhammad Ali losing later in his career doesn’t take away from his greatness.

Fedor also beat multiple ufc champions in that same time frame and went unbeaten for 28 fights. He fought the absolute best.

Jones is the best fighter we have seen at the moment. You can argue PED all you want, but every top athlete is on something.

GSP was finished by Matt Serra and he couldn’t even finish Dan Hardy. How is that possible?

Anderson held the title for 2,457 days. He was unbeatable. Muhammad Ali losing later in his career doesn’t take away from his greatness.

Fedor also beat multiple ufc champions in that same time frame and went unbeaten for 28 fights. He fought the absolute best.

Jones is the best fighter we have seen at the moment. You can argue PED all you want, but every top athlete is on something.

GSP was finished by Matt Serra and he couldn’t even finish Dan Hardy. How is that possible?
If the only knocks against GSP are losing to a guy 12 years ago and not finishing a 23-6 guy, I’m ok with that.

If the only knocks against GSP are losing to a guy 12 years ago and not finishing a 23-6 guy, I’m ok with that.
That’s why the GOAT argument will always be opinion and not fact. I don’t put him there but respect why you do.

I agree completely about what you say about Anderson, Fedor and Jones.

But GSP's losses are as easy to explain as Anderson's and Fedor's -- and anyone who watches sport should be used to the sight of great athletes having a bad day. Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Lebron James, Tom Brady, Babe Ruth, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali -- they all had bad days. Even Jones only scraped through a couple of his wins.

The top four in my books (in no particular order) are Anderson, Fedor, GSP and Jones. Not because they were unbeatable on a bad day, but because they were unbeatable on their best days.

I agree completely about what you say about Anderson, Fedor and Jones.

But GSP's losses are as easy to explain as Anderson's and Fedor's -- and anyone who watches sport should be used to the sight of great athletes having a bad day. Michael Jordan, Wayne Gretzky, Lebron James, Tom Brady, Babe Ruth, Sugar Ray Robinson, Muhammad Ali -- they all had bad days. Even Jones only scraped through a couple of his wins.

The top four in my books (in no particular order) are Anderson, Fedor, GSP and Jones. Not because they were unbeatable on a bad day, but because they were unbeatable on their best days.
I will admit that I am biased. I was just so underwhelmed by how he won, that I don’t feel he deserves to be talked about with them. Your post is dead on, though, and reflects the opinion of an educated sports fan. Only a casual believes losses to Father Time count. They don’t. It’s what you did when you were at your greatest/peak.

People who weren't watching Fedor during his prime Pride years don't understand how devastating he was. For such a thick man, he moved like a combination of a grizzly bear and a silverback gorilla. His technique in standup and grappling was all so fluid and quick, no hesitation. Devastating puncher also. I blame his somewhat quick downfall to the disintegration of his team. He, his brother, and Sergei all rose and fell around the same time. His brother made a nice comeback though, toughened by prison!

I will admit that I am biased. I was just so underwhelmed by how he won, that I don’t feel he deserves to be talked about with them. Your post is dead on, though, and reflects the opinion of an educated sports fan. Only a casual believes losses to Father Time count. They don’t. It’s what you did when you were at your greatest/peak.

We all have our biases, and greatness is notoriously subjective. Possibly I'm just used to considering guys who win consistently in unspectacular fashion being called great -- your singles hitters like Ty Cobb and Pete Rose in baseball, guys who set up plays more than scoring goals in hockey like Jean Beliveu and Sid Crosby, great defensive players in basketball like Bill Russell and Hakeem Olajuwon, and of course whole teams like the old Pittsburgh Steelers who won the Superbowl by grinding out wins with an amazing defense.

For that matter, it also describes the British Navy during their empire -- few spectacular wins, but they always ground down their opponents until they won (the saying was that the British lost every battle but the last).

GSP at his best was like that -- he shut down his opponents. I see greatness in that; winning is for me more important than how you win. And of course during their primes Anderson, Fedor and Jones also consistently won; they were all unbeatable at their best.

We all have our biases, and greatness is notoriously subjective. Possibly I'm just used to considering guys who win consistently in unspectacular fashion being called great -- your singles hitters like Ty Cobb and Pete Rose in baseball, guys who set up plays more than scoring goals in hockey like Jean Beliveu and Sid Crosby, great defensive players in basketball like Bill Russell and Hakeem Olajuwon, and of course whole teams like the old Pittsburgh Steelers who won the Superbowl by grinding out wins with an amazing defense.

For that matter, it also describes the British Navy during their empire -- few spectacular wins, but they always ground down their opponents until they won (the saying was that the British lost every battle but the last).

GSP at his best was like that -- he shut down his opponents. I see greatness in that; winning is for me more important than how you win. And of course during their primes Anderson, Fedor and Jones also consistently won; they were all unbeatable at their best.
I lived the GSP run. Believe me, I was witness to every single pre-fight show that proclaimed every opponent was going to be the one to beat him. Yet, no one could even avoid being embarrassed by him. It was never even close during his peak of the run. I guess I feel like he held back. I felt he could have easily finished some of those fights, but he played it safe. He was better than that in my opinion.

The Ty Cobb reference is certainly relevant, but to me Cobb did everything to the fullest of his ability. He held nothing back, his abilities were just not what the masses consider spectacular, but a true fan recognizes he was the greatest at what he did. I feel like Georges did not fight to the fullest of his ability because he played it safe. Whether that was because he had so much to lose, or that he just wanted to win and didn’t care how he did it, I don’t know. But I consider him to be 1 notch under those guys, and I group them all as one entry of GOAT because I can’t pick one that was more unbeatable than the other.

I’m not one of those that discredits him because I favor others. He was incredible at his peak and would embarrass any current WW champion while in that form. People that think otherwise are delusional. I don’t know anyone under 185 that ever beats him.

I completely agree that all 4 of them were unbeatable. All I’m saying is I have my picks as #1 as a tie, and GSP #2 in GOAT ranking.

but to me Cobb did everything to the fullest of his ability. He held nothing back, his abilities were just not what the masses consider spectacular, but a true fan recognizes he was the greatest at what he did. I feel like Georges did not fight Whether that was because he had so much to lose, or that he just wanted to win and didn’t care how he did it, I don’t know. But I consider him to be 1 notch under those guys, and I group them all as one entry of GOAT because I can’t pick one that was more unbeatable than the other.

I’m not one of those that discredits him because I favor others. He was incredible at his peak and would embarrass any current WW champion while in that form. People that think otherwise are delusional. I don’t know anyone under 185 that ever beats him.

I completely agree that all 4 of them were unbeatable. All I’m saying is I have my picks as #1 as a tie, and GSP #2 in GOAT ranking.[/QUOTE]
With GSP retired now, who do you think is the all time greatest at this time?

GSP

Fedor

Anderson Silva

Jon Jones

Mighty Mouse

Aldo

If your selection for the greatest fighter of all time is not in the poll, feel free to vote for other explain why.

Fedor hits rock bottom

https://mol.im/a/7309295

but to me Cobb did everything to the fullest of his ability. He held nothing back, his abilities were just not what the masses consider spectacular, but a true fan recognizes he was the greatest at what he did. I feel like Georges did not fight Whether that was because he had so much to lose, or that he just wanted to win and didn’t care how he did it, I don’t know. But I consider him to be 1 notch under those guys, and I group them all as one entry of GOAT because I can’t pick one that was more unbeatable than the other.

I completely agree that all 4 of them were unbeatable. All I’m saying is I have my picks as #1 as a tie, and GSP #2 in GOAT ranking.

Fedor hits rock bottom

https://mol.im/a/7309295[/QUOTE]
I’m sure he’ll come out of prison with a few Pride tattoos but better than ever. He’ll probably look like his brother but without hair.

Back