All Time GOAT poll

I'm gonna go with GSP.

He beat the best of the best who ever competed in mma at welterweight. He cleaned out a division of killers, facing legit number one contender after another. And he's also avenged every loss and beaten every man he's ever faced.

He's also never pissed hot, I thought "grease gate" was laughable and he's proven himself to be a stand-up guy and a decent human being. And he's like 40 years old could still come out as the odds favorite against Usman or Khabib. And he damn well could beat them.

Fuck you all.

GSP is an MMA GOD!!
You make a good argument. I would wager had he finished more opponents, more would "vote" for GSP. He was a solid champion who was victorious against some tough fighters. However, I would still vote him below 1)Jones and 2) Fedor and above 4)Anderson.
Anderson didn't beat the type of competition GSP did.

So the third best WW of all times,tied with BJ and well behind Matt Hughes #2 and Royce Gracie #1, is now supposed to be, the best ever...?Regardless of weight classes...?Dude fought one eye Bisping, in his only fight outside the WW division and got banged up pretty badly.... Fedor would molest Bisping even at the state that he is now. . de fuck,dudes? wakey wakey and smell thy coffee

Why are you rating GSP as high as 3rd best? He's clearly not even a top ten all time WW -- possibly not even a top 20.

You're rating GSP way too high, maybe you should be drinking your own coffee ...

I'll repeat myself:

GSP is the GOAT,

26-2 in MMA, 20-2 in the UFC,
Avenged both loses,
Holds record for the most UFC title wins (13),
Tied first for the most UFC title fights (15),
Tied second for the most UFC wins (20),
Tied third for the most consecutive UFC title defences (9),
Two division champion,
Did not lose a round between 2007 (Matt Serra) to 2011 (Jake Shields),
Second for the most consecutive rounds won (33),
Won first belt in 2006, last belt in 2018, on top for 12 years,
Retired on top.

Want more?

Most strikes landed in the UFC (2591),
Most takedowns landed in the UFC (90),
Most guard passes in the UFC (114).

Anyone who disagrees with GSP being the GOAT, disagrees with facts.

I stopped myself from replying with an argument because this is an absolute perfect description of the goat - GSP... and a perfect reply to the thread.

DatSamboKid is spot on, you would be arguying against facts.

Fedor outgrappled a prime Nogueira and outstruck a prime CroCop...........

I have Fedor as my goat but honestly comparing opponents or making weight comparison (being undersize etc) is just dumb since mma math doesnt work. The main reason I have Fedor over GSP is the fact that he always believed he is best in all skills area and was not scared to engage with any opponent or in any area, He would jump into guard of Nog and Werdum and Bigfoot or will stand and strike with Cro Cop who was the most feared striker back then. However, St Pierre's 'style' would involve a lot of strategy and a lot of 'grinding'.. He avoided Nick Diaz striking and try to tire him down, for 3 rounds, dry humped loads of opponents, just to take them out of there.. Nulified them..Never beat them in their own strengths.I mean you could imagine Fedor outpointing Werdum in stand up as St Pierre wrassled Thiago Alves or jabbed Koscheck to 'death'...but he didn't and jumped right into his guard,cause he was fearless - knew he is the best.

Other than that I can get why people favour GSP. He has a solid career. They are propably the same people that thought that Anderson was the GOAT, 5 years ago..

St Pierre has been an amazing fighter and well deserved for the spot of goat for perhaps the 'under 200' pounds. I can see why people would choose him.

To me he is now tied with BJ and still behind Royce and Matt

ill just leave this here:

"Fedor is the greatest, no doubt," Junior Dos Santos.

"Fedor is the best P4P fighter in the world." (paraphrased) - George St. Pierre on INSIDE MMA

-"Fedor is the best pfp fighter in the world." - Randy Couture, former UFC LHW & HW Champion

-"Fedor is the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world aside from BJ Penn, those 2 are the best fighters in the world." - Rampage Jackson, former UFC LHW Champion

-"Fedor is my favorite." - BJ Penn, UFC LW Champion, former UFC Welterweight Champion and BJJ world Champion

-"Probably the best ever lived....he's a living legend right now and I don't think there's a man on this planet who can beat him; the man is unreal. Pound for pound the best in the world." - Diego Sanchez, hooterandgreenway radio show

-"NOBODY wants to fight Fedor." - Wanderlei Silva, former Pride MW Champion and GP winner

-"Fedor is just too dominant, too good at punching people in the face. The way he punches people man he's trying to kill people, with both hands. He's in a whole different class by himself." - Brandon Vera

-"If there's one man I'd ever question fighting, it's him [Fedor]." - Dan Henderson (what a Hero,Dan is)

-"He's the fastest I've ever seen. Much faster than Mirko. And he's got a great reaction. Technically he may not have such a big advantage, but physically he is the fastest heavy guy in MMA history. He tries a punch, misses it, then immediately shoots again, Cro Cop for example didn't even see them coming. He must practise that a lot, because it's not easy to improvise that kind of thing. He is really with a good combination of styles, he can go from one art to the other, that's what makes him different." – Antonio Rodorigo Nogueira

Liddell: 'I'll fight anyone, Silva? Yeah sure, Quinton Jackson? Sure, Randy Couture? Sure'

Reporter: 'What about Fedor Emelianenko?'

Liddell: 'Well if I have to...I'll fight him...if I have to'

-"I was amazed at how good Fedor is... I don't even think he's human.", "I've never been hit that hard before." and "This guy is unreal, I don't think anyone's gonna beat him for a while." - Tim Sylvia

-"It's FEDOR dude!" - Eric Pele

-"He is the BEST." - Mark Coleman, former UFC HW Champion and Pride GP Champion

-"The best in the world, no doubt." - Phil Baroni

-"Look, I've fought many people from around the world, so I've seen many strong fighters. But like him, never." - Renato Sobral

-"Fedor is on top now, it's hard to beat him now." - Pedro Rizzo

-"Our great champion, he is the BEST in the world." - Josh Barnett, former UFC HW Champion and ADCC Champion

-"Fedor has no equals in Sambo or MMA." - Aleksander Mikhailin, 3-time World Judo Champion and Fedor's former training partner

-"Fedor would be absolutely great in K-1." - Ernesto Hoost, 4-time K-1 World Champion

-"Fedor has no weakness! I have seen so many fights, and even the best fighters in the world have a flaw in their game but I have yet to find one in Fedor Emelianenko." - Bas Rutten, former king of Pancrase and UFC HW Champion FSN

-"Fedor is the most incredible fighter you'll ever see." - Frank Trigg

-"Fedor is pound-for-pound best in the world." - Shamada (Pride referee)

-"Fedor is a machine." - Don Frye

-"The best fighter to climb into ANY areana is Emelianenko fedor. He is in his own league and you can't compare nobody." - Kevin Randleman, former UFC HW Champion

-"He is the best and undefeated... His striking game and his ground game is the best, so that's why he is the best... He is the sh*t " - Mark Hunt, K-1 World Champion

-"He's the total package; looks can be deceiving. He's incredibly strong, his hips are amazing, probably his best asset. Hard to hold down, hard to do anything with the guy.........shit he's just the best, that's why he's the best. He gets in position to throw the big bombs, he throws just as hard on the ground as he does on the feet. That's why he's the world Champion." - Mark Coleman

-"He has a fast eye, good for counter-attacking. And in every fight he shows up with something new under his sleeve. Against Filipovic he used a great clinch-strike combo: he'd go for the uchi-mata, quickly following with a powerful hook." - Pedro Rizzo

-"He's tough to beat for anybody and right now, he should be ranked the top guy in the world. He'd probably beat the (heck) out of both guys [Lesnar or Mir]... He'd probably beat up both guys pretty badly." - Dan Henderson

-"He's so well-rounded, but I think his mind is a big part of his success..His mind is probably one of the strongest minds in the game. He fights differently than other people. His punches come from all different directions and you have no clue where they're coming from. His hips are great. He's the complete package this guy is as close to unbeatable as there is in this sport right now. " - Mark Coleman

-"He has a unique mindset, because he's a very calm, very tranquil fighter.. He's very relaxed and just does his job. He never panics. That's a huge difference between him and other fighters." - Shogun

But what the fook do they know,right? : )

<WellThere>

Ok I am calling it.

It is official.

Fedor had a good run, but in no universe does the GOAT get dummied and saved by the judges from a guy like Maldonado.

Jons and Silva? HAHA. The Barry and Lance of MMA. `Nuff said.

Silva with his pathetic 8% LMFAO. He wouldn't even be GOAT if he passed all his tests.

It's ALLLLL OVER!

<Goldie11>

GSP is the MMA goat.
QVVX9zh.gif

Better call the WAAAMBULANCE... there is an epidemic of butt hurt out there.
<Waaah>

Chose GSP because he did get a title in two different weight classes. If Jones moves up and gets the HW title then he will be GOAT for sure.

Prime Fedor did not lose to Serra. Or anyone else. For a decade.

You fuckin' kids get off my lawn!!!

giphy.gif

Does that mean that every win and loss is identical? Should Trevor Berbick be considered to be better than Muhammad Ali because he beat him at the end of Ali's career?

Not a good comparison imo.

1. Trevor Burbeck was the last fight of Ali's career while Fedor is still fighting 9 years after his first (legit) loss.

2. Ali looked physically slower and was starting to show the effects of brain damage while Fedors movement never really changed.

3. Fedor is definitely passed it these days, but in 2009 his losses imo were more attributed to him not putting the effort in and not evolving his training like everybody else did. His ability was still there.

<WellThere>

Ok I am calling it.

It is official.

Fedor had a good run, but in no universe does the GOAT get dummied and saved by the judges from a guy like Maldonado.

Jons and Silva? HAHA. The Barry and Lance of MMA. `Nuff said.

Silva with his pathetic 8% LMFAO. He wouldn't even be GOAT if he passed all his tests.

It's ALLLLL OVER!

<Goldie11>

GSP is the MMA goat.
QVVX9zh.gif

Better call the WAAAMBULANCE... there is an epidemic of butt hurt out there.
<Waaah>
1 fight in 6 yrs
If you dont fight you wont lose
<seedat>

1 fight in 6 yrs
<seedat>

llloooolll. .. .. Pick your fighters and just wrassle with them to a decision.. .keep doing that... Finish someone after like 8 years... = GOAT

haha

1 fight in 6 yrs
<seedat>

Retire in mid 30's like a normal athlete.

or....

Can it up on a semi retirement tour fighting the Jaideeps, Moldandos, Mirs, and Sonnens of the world. Fight anything resembling a top fighter and get embarrassed.

tumblr_plz3si4SLJ1udfb8oo1_400.gif

maxresdefault.jpg

Retire in mid 30's like a normal athlete.

or....

Can it up on a semi retirement tour fighting the Jaideeps, Moldandos, Mirs, and Sonnens of the world. Fight anything resembling a top fighter and get embarrassed.

tumblr_plz3si4SLJ1udfb8oo1_400.gif

maxresdefault.jpg
There is no shame in it like you trying to pretend. Retire and cherrypicking opponent is the worse case here.
Care a lot for your legacy and record = no fighting spirit.

There is no shame in it like you trying to pretend. Retire and cherrypicking opponent is the worse case here.
Care a lot for your legacy and record = no fighting spirit.

Is that why Fedor fought guys Zulu in his prime?

No cherry picking there, just fighting spirit. <45>

Not a good comparison imo.

1. Trevor Burbeck was the last fight of Ali's career while Fedor is still fighting 9 years after his first (legit) loss.

2. Ali looked physically slower and was starting to show the effects of brain damage while Fedors movement never really changed.

3. Fedor is definitely passed it these days, but in 2009 his losses imo were more attributed to him not putting the effort in and not evolving his training like everybody else did. His ability was still there.

Disagree about the first two for sure, and mainly about the third (though you're right about some fans thinking his ability was still there).

1) The TK loss was a legit loss. Its a sport, you win and lose by the rules in sport -- and by the rules Fedor agreed to fight under he lost the first fight to TK. Its like the Saint's loss to the Ram's in this year's NFL play-offs -- it was a horrible missed call by the ref, but the loss is still considered to be legit because that's the way sport works.

That Fedor kept figthing after his loss to Werdum says more about his need to keep fighting than his ability to keep fighting. The same was true for Ali (even before the Holmes' fight it was clear he shouldn't keep fighting, but like most fighters he felt driven to keep trying). In fact, its pretty rare for fighters to quit when they should quit. It'd be a lot better if they did -- most CTE's come from the last years of fighting, when their reflexes have slowed to the point where they're getting hit in ways that didn't happen before.

2) Fedor looked so much slower even two years before his loss to Werdum (in his fights against Arlovski and Rogers) that his boxing coach had to publicly admit it -- and coaches never admit one their fighters or athletes is getting worse unless they think its so obviously that there's no point in denying it.

And in fact people were already pointing out that he was slowing down in his win over Hunt several years before the Arlovski and Roger's fights.

3) True that many fans thought it was due to him not caring anymore -- but fans think a lot of things. There are some fans of his that think he's still as good as ever (same is true for GSP and Anderson). As I said, even his coach was forced to admit he was slowing down two years before he lost to Werdum.

One major difference between Ali (who's probably the most gifted combat sport athlete in modern times) and Fedor is that while both were initially reflex based fighters (60's Ali was fantastically gifted), when their reflexes slowed (starts happening in your late teens, by your early 30's they're down significantly for almost everyone according to sports physiology studies) Ali was able to re-invent his style, becoming champ again. Of course 70's Ali wasn't as good as 60's Ali, but he was still great. Fedor though never revamped his style, he kept trying to fight in his 30's with the same style he had in his 20's -- with the same results that other reflex based fighters like Roy Jones Jr and in fact most lighter weights had ... he went from being very hard to hit to very easy to hit.

Now I think you can make a good case for saying that one strike against Fedor as a GOAT candidate was that he couldn't adjust his style for getting older. Greats in just about every contact sport learn to do that, but Fedor either couldn't or wouldn't.

Last edited:
Is that why Fedor fought guys Zulu in his prime?

No cherry picking there, just fighting spirit. <45>
You brought example totally out of context. Fedor fought zulu in pride for the same reason gsp or any other fighters fought most of their opponents in ufc - it was made by org.

You brought example totally out of context. Fedor fought zulu in pride for the same reason gsp or any other fighters fought most of their opponents in ufc - it was made by org.

Yes what an org that Pride was. No freak show squash matches or fixed fights there. Nothing but deserving contenders for Fedor. I'm sure him and his manager played no part in deciding his matchups. Finkelchtein was so hands off with his carrer path. :rolleyes:

Yes what an org that Pride was. No freak show squash matches or fixed fights there. Nothing but deserving contenders for Fedor. I'm sure him and his manager played no part in deciding his matchups. Finkelchtein was so hands off with his carrer path. :rolleyes:
There's no indication fedor cherrypicked anyone in pride and its clear that process was ruled by the management team during his whole career (multiple interviews).

On the other side we have GSP who called out bisping as soon as he saw an easy fight and valuable addition to his legacy. After that - fighting other guys? Nah

Dont get me wrong I respect GSP and have no problem when someone thinks hes GOAT. But come on, bashing fedor while he continues to fight long after his prime is some biased shit.

Last edited:

Pride, like the UFC, mainly worried about money in making its matches. Every prize fighting promotion does that. Fixed fights were as common in Pride as the UFC. Again, see 'every prize fighting promotion' above. For that matter, there've been referees in the NBA that have been paid to help one team one, and probably every other major sport.

The one thing about Pride was though that their tournaments made it impossible to duck -- you fought the winners, whoever they were. And during Fedor's Pride run, the UFC HW champs were Arlovski and Tim Sylvia. Most think the Pride HW pool was better.

The thing about GOAT is that its completely subjective. Everyone gets to make up their own criteria. Its possible for someone to have GOAT criteria that makes their twelve year old cousin Ralph the MMA HW GOAT. But we're usually too lazy to state our criteria, so a lot of the time people talk past each other.

Back