All Time GOAT poll

and there's declining because you're not applying yourself the same way and declining because you got old. or even declining because for a particular fight you weren't at your best for whatever reason. or because others around you are improving. with fedor it's debatable what the catalyst was and likely a combination. tyson wasn't in his prime when he lost as well. but it obviously wasn't because of a physical drop in capacity.
Sure even at the time there were rumors he had gotten lazy and complacent with training. At the same time though, he was a small hw that relied on speed and reflexes.

He was always going to start looking bad once his speed started to go.

Sure even at the time there were rumors he had gotten lazy and complacent with training. At the same time though, he was a small hw that relied on speed and reflexes.

He was always going to start looking bad once his speed started to go.
he didn't lose to werdum because his speed started to go though.....

Did I say somewhere that he did? He lost that fight because he was too aggressive. Around the Werdum fight he sudd3became a headhunter and stopped using his grappling or trying to set anything up.

However even earlier than that, it was obvious he was slowing down. His own camp said so around the arlovski fight, and although he won vs arlovski and rogers he looked off.

Did I say somewhere that he did? He lost that fight because he was too aggressive. Around the Werdum fight he sudd3became a headhunter and stopped using his grappling or trying to set anything up.

However even earlier than that, it was obvious he was slowing down. His own camp said so around the arlovski fight, and although he won vs arlovski and rogers he looked off.
i think it's overstated about headhunting. he was very methodical against aa and not overaggressive. against rogers he took the fight to the ground, and he did so against bigfoot too. werdum wasn't headhunting or not grappling.....

No, because his reflexes were slowing (they start slowing depressingly enough at age 13, and really start slowing after your early 20's).

for instance:
https://sites.google.com/site/1314s1p4g1/lab-1

He famously got into trouble many times even in Pride, but was able to escape by reacting before his opponent could take complete control. By the time he fought Werdum his reflexes were already slow enough that he couldn't escape.

Of course, just as the case with Roy Jones Jr, that is a pretty solid criticism against him -- an athlete in any sport who can't adjust for slowing reflexes is never going to have great longevity, given how inevitable and large the decrease is going to be for everyone once the early 20's is past.

If you react much quicker than your opponent you get used to having a get out of jail free card, which can lead to sloppy technique. That seems to have happened with Fedor.

I haven't seen any GSP fans say he was not in his prime V Hughes or Serra. I am sure there might be the odd straggler but none of the main stream fans i know of.

I am a huge GSP fan and know he was in his prime for both losses.

Prime is not a singular point in time. It has an upcurve and down curve around a peak and his Hughes loss was on the upcurve, his Serra loss was near his peak.

But I have yet to see an Anderson fan admit he was in his prime V Chonan or Takase (he was) and Fedor did not lose in what most hard core Fedor fans (I am one) considered his prime run before talk of him being out of prime was pretty common.

There are quite a few who say GSP was still learning when he lost to Hughes, and some (though fewer) who say it was also true for his loss against Serra.

Some Fedor fans (including me) were pointing out he was already out of prime after his Hunt fight, and it was a common statement after the Arlovski fight.

And yes, I don't think I've ever seen one of Anderson's fans say he was in his prime in his early losses.

I agree prime isn't a single point, and deciding on what it means (is being at 99% still prime -- in that case Usain Bolt was still in his prime when he only came in 3rd in his last race)? The problem is that in high level sport the difference between the top ten is typically less than 1%, so what for most people would be an unnoticeable change is enough to make someone go from Olympic gold medalist or NBA MVP to someone who will never win another Olympic medal or NBA MVP.

Because people are admitting they think Jones is better than GSP (who for some unknown reason is top 3 in the poll)

It's not an unknown reason why people voted Jones no 3.
They think Jones would barely beat OSP without picograms.

Last edited:
GSP is the goat and most exciting because Jon Jones is a RL screw up who's wasted his best potential fighting years on shenanigans and found a way into failing multiple drug tests; barring this, Jones would be the uncontestable GOAT of all GOATS and a new term would need to be made to reflect his glory. However, as it stands, GSP is the one. It's so sad, because Jones is such high workrate, expertise, master - he's the Michael Jordon of MMA. His big saving grace is that nobody truly bested him, his only loss coming from a "Greg Hardy" moment.

Can’t believe DC isn’t getting a nod. I’d put him in the top 3 or 4 in the conversation as GOAT...above JJ’s picogram cheating ass or Silva’s tainted dick pills lying ass. Can’t have a ridiculous asterisk next to your name and be a GOAT.

Count the numbers. Your boy lost.

This isn't directed at anyone in particular, but I bet it still made you mad. Yes, you.

Only HW counts, its Fedor, everyone else would get wrecked in the HW division, P4P is fantasy

in the mma world he's taken very seriously and seen as the best fighter in the world. you're confusing sherdog with the mma world.......
He isn't seen as the best fighter in the world, he's seen as the best PED abusing cheater in the world.

GSP is the goat and most exciting because Jon Jones is a RL screw up who's wasted his best potential fighting years on shenanigans and found a way into failing multiple drug tests; barring this, Jones would be the uncontestable GOAT of all GOATS and a new term would need to be made to reflect his glory. However, as it stands, GSP is the one. It's so sad, because Jones is such high workrate, expertise, master - he's the Michael Jordon of MMA. His big saving grace is that nobody truly bested him, his only loss coming from a "Greg Hardy" moment.
Can't say that since he may have lost a ton or not been anywhere close to what he has displayed had he not abused his PED training wheels.

Most Dominant - Jones
Best Career - GSP
Most Exciting - Silva
Best Peak - Silva/Fedor
Most Risks - Silva/Fedor

Are there really 70 people on Sherdog who have Aldo/MM above GSP, Fedor, Jones and Silva in the GOAT discussion? <45><45><45>

why is there an asterisk by Fedor? I'm not reading through the whole thread, the OP didn't mention why.

Best part of this poll and thread is seeing Silva homers get fucking bodied. That's right boys less than 10%

You're just an extremely vocal minority. It isn't some consensus Silva is goat. You're losing ground every single day, and between all the losses and test fails he's going to be out of the conversation soon.

<GrassoBless>

Back