All those little Aches and Pains

Welcome to "old age". Before long you'll feel this way whether you work out or not.

Things you do immediately post-workout will make the biggest impact. Make sure you rehydrate immediately and stretch after each workout. Ice, hot tub, tiger balm, massage (probably not a good idea at same time) will all help to a degree. Fish oil is pretty good and might bypass your phobia.

Hey guys

Just wondering waht everyone does in terms of aches and pains and general knocks from training? I'm finding more and more that I'm waking up sore as hell the next day from training and I don't really like to take medication such as Ibuprofen (I don't want to become reliant on tabletc etc, weird phobia) so I'm thinking of things more "natural".

So what do you do to cure your little aches and pains? Any kind of creams/balms? Monthly/Weekly Massages? Morning Stretching? A good old fashioned hot bath?

Look ofrward to your replies!

oh come on, hurting in the morning makes you know training last night was good :)
just suck it up, thats wat i do, you know when you go to train that night you will feel much better, until the next morning anyway...
maybe try taking protein right after the workout and have a cold shower to help with muscle regeneration

i train 4-6 hours, six days a week, both striking arts and BJJ. I also weight train 2x per week. Here's my routine to help with fast recovery.

for buises and sore muscles, i take "arnica" it comes in little pellets at 30c doses. I take 5 pellets, 3x per day. arnica increases red blood cells which helps to rapidly remove bruises. They cost around 7 dollars a vial. each vial has around 200 pellets. use it cause it works great!

i also take 5 grams of glutamine, 3x per day. which helps with faster recovery. this is important if you workout out more than 4 days a week, it is a must! Glutamine is a protein that helps specifically with fast recovery.

during training, i mix 5 grams of creatine with dextrose added. half way through the workout i consume. this replenishes ATP stores in the muscles and helps revive energy. ATP is basically sugar that is stored in the muscles for emergency energy use. training very hard taps into your ATP stores. once they are depleted, you will get light headed and feel like you are going to pass out if it's not replaced. replenishing the ATP stores with a creatine powder with dextrose added is vital to keeping all your cylinders firing and helps promote fast recovery.

immediately after training, i mix 50 grams whey protein powder with water. you have a window of about 30 minutes after hard training, where your muscles are aching for nutrients. this is the best time for a good protein shake. but make sure to use 100% whey protein. whey protein breaks down very fast (15mins) and can be utilized by the body quickly versus cassein protein(milk protein) which takes roughly 2 hours to break down. read the labels on your protein powders and drinks!

once a month i get a deep tissue massage. once every two months i get a chiropractic adjustment.

This is good advice, but you don't have to take the whey protein within a half hour (although this is ideal) you can take it up to a couple hours after your workout.

Also, whey protein is a fast acting protein that is great for building muscle, but it should not necessarily be the only protein you take. Casein protein is a slow acting protein, this is true, but it is a protein that you can take hours before training that will still feed your muscles during training. Casein will help slow the process of catabolism (muscle-breakdown) because it acts as almost a time-released protein during your training sessions.

What's the reason fish oil is so good? I have never heard of that.

And yeah Tiger Balm works :)

You guys should check out the D&S forum, they will tell you fish oil is basically a necessity. I think 10g might be excessive, I only have 2.5 grams a day. Up to 5 is pretty typical though. I wouldn't take any nsaids, as consistent use of them can hinder muscle growth and recovery in the long term. I only take aspirin if I'm absolutely dying.

Also, protein right after definitely helps...I've started drinking gatorade + protein during lifts and basically any workouts that won't make me nauseous, and it really makes you feel less sore for the rest of the night and the morning after. Especially if you don't eat a solid meal RIGHT after training, you should add some protein to your PWO or during-workout drink.

What's the reason fish oil is so good? I have never heard of that.

And yeah Tiger Balm works :)
one of the byproducts of fish oil is glucosamine. if you take some kind of glucosamine/chondroitin product, it will usually have a shell fish warning label. fish oil also has trace amounts of creatine which helps with recovery as well. most importantly, it has omega 3's and 6's. which are quality fats that your body needs for proper health. If you are allergic to fish oils, you can replace with flax seed oil, works just as well.

i take "Animal Flex" which is great for joint/tendon repair.

Fish Oil
Potassium Gluconate
creatine mixed with fruit juice (on super heavy days)
Protein
Multivitamins

Also, whey protein is a fast acting protein that is great for building muscle, but it should not necessarily be the only protein you take. Casein protein is a slow acting protein, this is true, but it is a protein that you can take hours before training that will still feed your muscles during training. Casein will help slow the process of catabolism (muscle-breakdown) because it acts as almost a time-released protein during your training sessions.
You are 100% right. I usually take a good Casein protein mix right before i go to bed, i use Muscle Milk. tastes great. You will be amazed how fast your body can recover if you have the right nutrition to back it up. The biggest problem is that most work our bodies to the ground and then don't give it the right tools to repair the damage.

Stretching, lots of tape on the toes and fingers, massages from the girlfriend, and a painkiller of your choice (advil, vicodin, herb... whatever works for you).

Fish oil is good, but it makes my skin oily and gives me pimples...

Ice is pretty good.

Back