All this talk about Askren coming to the UFC has got me thinking...

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by ChitownImport, Oct 12, 2013.

1. ChitownImport

ChitownImport Yellow Belt

Dana White loves to shit on Bellator. And to a certain degree, I get it. He doesn't want to legitimize another fight league. Do you think he would ever entertain the idea of a Bellator vs UFC card? It would certainly require him to swallow some of his pride, which is not something he particularly enjoys doing. That being said, there is one huge motivator. $$$. I could see a card like this being one of the largest PPV cards of all time. With this in mind, how would Bellator champs fair against UFC champs?

Eduardo Dantes vs Renan Barao (yeah, of course I didn't put Cruz here..)
    Pat Curran vs Jose Aldo
    Michael Chandler vs Anthony Pettis
    Ben Askren vs GSP
    (I also stopped at 170 for obvious reasons)

I think BFC would go 1-3, or 2-2 with a little luck, with Chandler, Curran, and maybe even Askren having a shot at winning (please let's not make this a GSP/Askren thread).

And one last question, as if I haven't raised enough already. If it's not listed above, who is your dream BFC vs UFC matchup?

2. ProBoxingInsidr

ProBoxingInsidr Silver Belt

no win proposition for ufc. win every fight and who cares? you are the ufc. lose and you legitimize a competitor who is considered the minor leagues

3. JosephDredd

JosephDredd Gold Belt

After Pride, Dana isn't about to play get-along with other leagues.

4. Lunkee

Lunkee Jävligt snygg!

i like askren he reminds me of fermented fish <3

5. Concrete

Concrete Steel Belt

No, the UFC gains nothing from it.

6. donfryeismyhero

donfryeismyhero Brown Belt

This^^^

7. ChitownImport

haha, ok. I point taken with the "nothing to gain" replies. I wasn't suggesting that the card would have all of the champs on it. I would think more like one Championship fight, with 8-10 other fights. This way, there is less to lose for the UFC. Most likely, it would be Chandler or Curran because the are the most highly ranked, and their credibility can't really be denied. Any chance of this?, or do I deserve another "no, UFC has nothing to gain". I probably deserve another "no", but I can dream...

8. fight4god

fight4god Green Belt

The only one that would have a chance is Chandler.
    And this is a lose lose situation for the UFC

9. serenewarfare

serenewarfare White Belt

lol. Pettis wrecks Chandler every day of the week. And this is coming from someone who likes Michael Chandler.

10. Tchernobog

Tchernobog Purple Belt

/thread

11. Jonny Bones

Jonny Bones Purple Belt

That would be cool but there's literally no way this would ever happen. Plus aren't Barao and Dantes homies?

Bellator would be lucky to go 1-3 IMO, Chandler being their only hope.

12. ChitownImport

I'm not so sure on this... Chandler's handspeed would be a significant advantage for him. And I also think Chandler would be the best wrestler Pettis has faced. Pettis has not yet proven himself over a top level wrestler yet. Keep in mind, he lost to Guida... (a loss is a loss, regardless of how shitty the fight was).

13. serenewarfare

serenewarfare White Belt

I thought he won the Guida fight personally, seeing as every time he was taken down, he was the only one active on the ground and did enough on the feet. I think Chandler, while really good, is too aggressive to beat Pettis. Alvarez caught him in their fight based off of that and if he is overly-aggressive against Pettis, it would be over quick.

14. ALAN PARTRIDGE

ALAN PARTRIDGE NO LONGER REGISTERED

sounds good

15. Loisaida

Loisaida Green Belt

UFC has nothing to gain from this. Dana is just hoping Funky comes over and gets mowed through by someone so he can point and do the "I told you so" dance.

16. laleggenda27

laleggenda27 Brown Belt

Well, the obvious answer is no. Everybody is saying that the UFC would have nothing to gain from this kind of partnership, but I'm not sure I agree. In the long run, cross promotion might benefit MMA as a whole, in which case the UFC would inevitably reap benefits. But it seems clear that the UFC doesn't share this view, so the answer is no, it won't happen.

For the record, I would love to see a card like this. And I think that the lighter weight Bellator champions would be VERY competitive, despite many sherdoggers' proclamations to the contrary. You'd think that the successes of WEC and Strikeforce fighters would convince people that the UFC isn't the only game in town. I'd slightly favor Chandler against Pettis and I think Curran would pose a legitimate challenge to Aldo in a 5 round fight. Dudu gets outclassed by Barao or Cruz and Askren would be GSP's easiest fight since he became champ - with zero striking and zero power, Askren doesn't even possess the proverbial puncher's chance that the other wrestlers in the division enjoy.

17. serenewarfare

serenewarfare White Belt

I don't think that the prevailing opinion is that Bellator champs would be scrubs, but (at least in my mind) the guys who are champions in the UFC are the best in the world at their respective weight classes. Nothing to do with UFC as a whole being better, just that their best are better than Bellator's.

18. TFanatic

TFanatic Silver Belt

Chandler is the only one with a somewhat reasonable chance.

Though I would like to see Volkov in the UFC after some more seasoning.

19. countrytime86

countrytime86 Green Belt

True, I think him letting chuck get assraped in pride by rampage left a sour taste in Dana's mouth.

20. Aliens

Aliens Blue Belt

Easily my favorite fight