all this jbj not wanting to fight gus looks like a marketing move by the UFC

daffy_duck.jpg

Jones is just trolling imo

Why would the fight of the year need more hype than it already has?

Only explanation I can think of would be Jones doesn't want to fight so soon and would rather fight Cormier who just fought which would probably push the bout back.

the fight will happen

this reminds me of silva sonnen II

shale announced that AS was ducking him, and he sold looooots of tickets with that

Dana did say similar stuff when he was making Silva/Sonnen 2. Dana was talking about taking Anderson's belt away. Waiting for him to say that about Jones.

But I think it is more likely Jones is being difficult because he wants to and can.

same logic could be applied to the wand/chael fight also.

Because they're going to put it on an extremely weak undercard.

It won't be stacked like 175.

Gus/Jones II already stands to break one million PPV buys regardless. All this other nonsense does nothing but make Jones look stupid.

I think it's pretty obvious Jones is just trolling. Remember how Anderson use to be during his reign as champ? That mantel has been passed down to Jones now.

Gus/Jones II already stands to break one million PPV buys regardless. All this other nonsense does nothing but make Jones look stupid.

I'm not sure why you think thats a given. The first one did fairly poor PPV numbers for a Jones fight. The rematch will do much better but 1,000,000+ PPV buys is A LOT for the UFC these days.

the fight will happen

this reminds me of silva sonnen II

shale announced that AS was ducking him, and he sold looooots of tickets with that

Did Sonnen actually say that?

If he did, I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of people believed it. Their first fight was pretty competitive.

If you replace 174's main event with Jones/Gus, i'd take the under if you are setting it at a million. More like 700K

Come to think of it, yeah, you might be right.

They did the same thing with Weidman/Silva 1. Pretend Silva is trying to avoid the fight for a while in order to build drama and fan interest as Weidman wasn't a draw.

I can kinda see it.

Jones plays into the heel role by trying not to fight Gus, UFC uses it to hype the rematch, fight happens anyways and has some extra help for it to sell.

Back