All Things XFL: A new promotional video says XFL will relaunch in 2022

When the XFL launches in February, in which of the following will you partake?

• Watching games on television

Votes: 45 56.3%
  • Attending live games

Votes: 6 7.5%
  • Buying merchandise

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • Asking local sports bars to show games

Votes: 4 5.0%
  • All of the above

Votes: 5 6.3%
  • None of the above

Votes: 29 36.3%

• Total voters
I hope someone smart buys

If they buy it, they're probably not very smart. Forget for a second that it's already a huge gamble, being a start up league. There's uncertainty with all sports right now, with COVID fucking things up. There's no guarantee that fans will ever be welcomed back to live events.

I'd pay maybe $10 for it...maybe. Depends on if I had a stronger craving for some Chinese food at the time.

If they buy it, they're probably not very smart. Forget for a second that it's already a huge gamble, being a start up league. There's uncertainty with all sports right now, with COVID fucking things up. There's no guarantee that fans will ever be welcomed back to live events.

I'd pay maybe $10 for it...maybe. Depends on if I had a stronger craving for some Chinese food at the time.
Disney, Fox, and some other corporations have tons of money to blow on a risk like the XFL. At the end of the day, if it doesn't pan out, it's just a tax write-off for them.

Well folks....meet your new owner:

....Hit the music

<4><4><4>

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...lion-with-partner-redbird-capital-per-report/

Eef85-hXoAAcDl3

Holy

Shit

Alpha Acquico, LLC (“Alpha Acquico”), a joint venture between The Garcia Companies and Redbird Capital Partners Management LLC. The Qualified Bid of Alpha Acquico is for the purchase of substantially all of the Debtor’s assets for a purchase price of (a)$15,000,000, (b) the assumption of certain specified liabilities, and (c) the payment of cure amounts of up to $8,500,000 for agreements designated by Alpha Acquico to be assumed and assigned by the Debtor in accordance with the designation procedures provided in the asset purchase agreement and order approving the sale.

“PLEASE TAKE FURTHER NOTICE that, no other Qualified Bids were received by the Bid Deadline, and the Debtor hereby provides notice of cancellation of the Auction. The Debtor will seek entry of an order approving the sale to Alpha Acquico at the sale hearing scheduled for August 7, 2020 at 10:00 a.m. (ET)”

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/mor...dders/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=facebook

Some of the XFL's creditors are objecting to the sale, which is creating a snag:

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/alp...itors-object-sale-of-xfl-want-to-rework-deal/

while the Committee generally supports a sale to the Buyer—on terms modified to account for the value associated with the Purchased Claims or to remove the Purchased Claims from the Purchased Assets and that addresses its other comments to the APA—the terms
of the transaction as currently proposed are objectionable, as they are not in the best interests of the estate, would surrender critical sources of recovery for unsecured creditors and are generally inconsistent with market standards.

Some of the XFL's creditors are objecting to the sale, which is creating a snag:

https://xflnewshub.com/xfl-news/alp...itors-object-sale-of-xfl-want-to-rework-deal/

The Rock going to find out the hard way this is not some kind of CraigsList sale he going to run into expensive problems. 15 million sounds like a lot but in the end I bet some of these creditors are athletes and suppliers who will create problems. I remember a former executive from the Company I used to work for bought the Pittsburgh Penguins for 30 million dollars it turned out to be a horror show. Super Mario Lemieux owned a sizable part of the company and to continue playing it was going to cost millions. Roger was the Donald Trump of sports owners with a billion dollars and a spending habit.

"Roger Marino, a man blessed with the ability to annoy almost
everyone, gleefully grabbed the two editorial cartoons he had
stashed behind his desk. "Take a look at these," said Marino,
the Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner who was amused by the
unflattering drawings that appeared last month in local
newspapers. Marino, a Boston native and resident who bought half
ownership in the Penguins from Howard Baldwin in May 1997 and
has since enraged Pittsburghers with his abrasive personality
and management style, views himself as strong medicine for an
ailing franchise."

He's currently listed at 1.2 billion dollars net worth.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/09/...ins-owner-has-fanned-the-flames-in-pittsburgh

The Rock going to find out the hard way this is not some kind of CraigsList sale he going to run into expensive problems. 15 million sounds like a lot but in the end I bet some of these creditors are athletes and suppliers who will create problems.
Even though Rock put about $7 million of his own money into the league, the real financial backing is going to have to come from Redbird Capital. The Rock isn't that rich. His involvement is probably primarily just to replace Vince as a figure head personality, and in that respect he is a great choice.
I remember a former executive from the Company I used to work for bought the Pittsburgh Penguins for 30 million dollars it turned out to be a horror show. Super Mario Lemieux owned a sizable part of the company and to continue playing it was going to cost millions.
Yeah, football is especially expensive with all of the injuries. Redbird Capital is an investment firm that currently supervises $4 billion in assets, so I assume they have deep pockets.
Roger was the Donald Trump of sports owners with a billion dollars and a spending habit.
The USFL wasn't entirely Donald's fault. There were many other owners involved.

The Rock going to find out the hard way this is not some kind of CraigsList sale he going to run into expensive problems. 15 million sounds like a lot but in the end I bet some of these creditors are athletes and suppliers who will create problems. I remember a former executive from the Company I used to work for bought the Pittsburgh Penguins for 30 million dollars it turned out to be a horror show. Super Mario Lemieux owned a sizable part of the company and to continue playing it was going to cost millions. Roger was the Donald Trump of sports owners with a billion dollars and a spending habit.

"Roger Marino, a man blessed with the ability to annoy almost
everyone, gleefully grabbed the two editorial cartoons he had
stashed behind his desk. "Take a look at these," said Marino,
the Pittsburgh Penguins co-owner who was amused by the
unflattering drawings that appeared last month in local
newspapers. Marino, a Boston native and resident who bought half
ownership in the Penguins from Howard Baldwin in May 1997 and
has since enraged Pittsburghers with his abrasive personality
and management style, views himself as strong medicine for an
ailing franchise."

He's currently listed at 1.2 billion dollars net worth.

https://vault.si.com/vault/1998/09/...ins-owner-has-fanned-the-flames-in-pittsburgh
The creditors' objections have apparently been resolved:

https://sportsnaut.com/2020/08/cred...ing-xfl-resolved-sale-expected-to-go-through/

And its official

Reactions from some of the players that the XFL is coming back:

https://xflboard.com/news/2020/08/07/xfl-3-0-the-return-of-the-players-league/

Question 1: How did you react when you saw that “The Rock” bought the XFL for $15 million?
Jordan McCray: OL, Tampa Bay Vipers

“I was happy to see it was bought just in general, but to see it bought by the Rock was amazing. Him playing in other leagues before, the CFL and being so involved in entertainment, I was very excited.”

Derek Dennis: OL, NY Guardians

“I kind of already knew that the XFL would be coming back, but seeing that the Rock bought it was exciting but not surprising. His story and his football background is something that you cannot put a price tag on.”

Ray Rychleski: DB coach, NY Guardians

“Very excited. I don’t think it could have gone to a better group. It seems like they want to get football back as soon as they can. With a woman pro owner and a gentleman who loves football and a group in RedBird Capital that loves sports, this is super exciting.”

Cole Boozer: OL, DC Defenders

“I woke up to a bunch of texts from XFL people saying ‘hey the XFL is back!’ and I think that The Rock buying the league is huge for the XFL. Everything he has done in his career, the Ballers and all that, he has also been on the other side of being cut. I think this group will create a league that can thrive.”

Ernesto Lacayo: K, Seattle Dragons

“Definitely shocked. We had heard the rumors of Disney buying the XFL, but hearing that the Rock bought it, I am very excited and it seems very promising.

Desmond Sturdivant: Undrafted NFL Free Agent

“It is huge because it gives athletes like myself another opportunity to play the game. For someone like The Rock to even consider but actually buy the XFL is huge. I really liked what they had going this past season and I hope they can get a full season this year.

Quentin Gause: LB, LA Wildcats

“I was excited. It is an opportunity for more guys to get to play professionally. The Rock played in the CFL for a while, never got to the NFL so he is the perfect guy for it. He understands the player side and the business side.”

Tre Watson: LB, Dallas Renegades

“This is the Rock’s time. Him being a former athlete and with the quality of play the XFL already had, his sports and entertainment knowledge will be huge.”

Question 2: Would you play in an XFL 2021 season if called upon?

“100 percent. We had a great time and it was fun to play with guys who wanted to play football at a high level.”

“If I am still a free agent, absolutely. I had a lot of fun in New York and it was amazing to be back home playing in NFL stadiums. To come back from Canada and play US football was awesome.”

Ray Rychleski: DB coach, NY Guardians

“100 percent. I would love the opportunity and am excited for that to happen.”

“I would for sure be interested in coming back. I love the fans there (DC) and they were awesome to me.”

“ I would definitely play. If the NFL does not come calling, I will absolutely play. I would like to know that now so we can get some work in before training camp starts.”

Desmond Sturdivant: Un-drafted NFL Free Agent

“Of course, no hesitation whatsoever.”

“I definitely would yes. I think the leadership will be a lot better, make some great changes. I will keep playing till I can’t anymore.”

“Call me immediately!”

Question 3: What was your favorite memory from your time in the XFL?

“Our first win. Having that seltzer shower and celebrating with my guys, as well as earning a little extra money, that was a good day.”

“Getting into the game in Dallas. Even after everything that went down (ejections) it was exciting to get thrown into the fire, be a veteran leader and show what I was about.”

Ray Rychleski: TE/DB coach, NY Guardians

“When we won our first game, the Seltzer bash was awesome. After the game, no matter who won or who scored, all that mattered was that we won. That was my favorite moment, watching my guys celebrate after a good win.”

“Either the time in New York when we beat them 27-0 and I had a lot of fan interaction or when we beat St. Louis. We were on top of the conference and controlled our own destiny at that point.”

“The first home game we had and the first kickoff. I was lucky enough to do the first kickoff there and the roar of the crowd was incredible. I could not even hear my own thoughts, the crowd was so loud, I will never forget that moment.”

“I did an in-game speech before we played Tampa and DC. It goes,‘As God as our witness they shall fall to our feet. They shall not rise, no pain no gain. No pain no gain’ When I did that in both games, we won both games.”

“That would have to be our wins against LA and Seattle. It is always good to get a win and when you are out there trying to prove yourself every day, a win on the resume always helps.”

Back