All of Vick’s opponents will now use Gaethe’s formula against him from now on.

Discussion in 'UFC Discussion' started by Destino2018, Aug 26, 2018.

1. Destino2018

Destino2018 Orange Belt

I’m a Vick fan but if he doesn’t figure out a better way of utilizing his height and reach, he’s in for a rude awakening in his next couple of fights. Justin literally called out the exact way he’d beat him and we know Justin isn’t the strategy type. How would you improve his defense and keep his opponents at bay?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
    WinZip likes this.
  2. LogicalMMAFan

LogicalMMAFan Brown Belt

He uses it well in the center and when circling. It's when he's pressed against the cage that he doesn't make any adjustments defensively.

It's the Dariush formula though.

3. Reach4theSky

Reach4theSky Playin' a riddim

By formula you mean punching him in the head and ko'ing him..?

It's a good formula, it's worked on a lot of fighters..

Roop Holstry, cgh, mxer31 and 8 others like this.
  4. iwhoopedbatman

iwhoopedbatman Fox Hunter Extraordinaire

No excuse for having that kind of height/reach advantage and letting the smaller guy immediately get inside. He barely offered resistance against Gaethje deciding where the fight would be fought.

fifinex and Destino2018 like this.
  5. giantveggie

giantveggie Green Belt

I think these tall guys tend to rely too much on their reach, and being able to move back.

But when they can't move back because of the fence, they lack the tools to use their reach because all they were doing with their reach was moving backward.

[​IMG]

Lowercase p and jeff7b9 like this.
  6. SpedDaddyV

SpedDaddyV GOAT

Yes TS the smaller fighter looking to get inside the long reach of the bigger fighter

This is ground breaking analysis. Thanks for sharing

In all seriousness, when it comes to MMA I think significantly taller fighters who aren’t good at grappling are at a disadvantage. Vick used kicks well initially to make him even taller and keep the distance greater, but once Justin got inside Vick was a fish out of water and prime for getting tagged

Now look at someone like Jon Jones. He fights long, but once you get inside you are subject to takedowns, clinching, and elbows. Jon Jones adapts when you are on the inside and is dangerous everywhere. All Vick could do was backtrack when Justin got inside and couldn’t even get jabs off

Long reach fighters have difficulty in striking at close range for obvious reasons. Vick could only move back so much before Justin was able to time his fatality

Last edited: Aug 26, 2018
  7. neXt leVel

neXt leVel Purple Belt

8. jeff7b9

jeff7b9 Red Belt

Jones is a goddamn stud for that exact reason. If you move inside you get hellbowed or taken down or spinning elbowed.

Jones is almost as good fighting at close range as he is from the outside. The Glover fight was a masterpiece of infighting.

Destino2018 likes this.
  9. moreorless87

moreorless87 Disarming Posting

He really needs to be much more aggressive with his mid kicks IMHO, as with Barboza opponents need to be fearing there going to eat on every time they rush forward.

10. Muay Thai #1

Muay Thai #1 Black Belt

I mean, the tactic that Justin used is pretty obvious. Vick always has his chin up in the air and you cant back up when your against the cage. I'm surprised more fighters havent set up Vick and KO him like Justin did

PlatinumAmerican likes this.
  11. TITS

TITS Red White & Blue Belt Yellow Card

As soon as I saw the footage a Vick walking backstage before the event, I knew he was going to lose. His gait looked awkward and almost girlish. I imagine that infuriated Gaethje as well.

BLIND likes this.
  12. Headkicktoleg

Headkicktoleg Steel Belt

I would say he actually better on the inside than the outside.

jeff7b9 likes this.
  13. PlatinumAmerican

PlatinumAmerican Plat Naysh never dies

Vick is a real good fighter just keeps his chin too high and Gaethje is an animal. He needs to start working that Thai clinch he doesn’t have many holes in his game but as many pointed out he could do better at grappling and clinching and dirty boxing basically

14. GrantSorenson

GrantSorenson Blue Belt

It means Vick will have to throw harder early and maybe stand a bit more to get respect. He could get blasted out doing that but he has no choice now. He should have done it with gaethje. Guy brought his track shoes to the fight

15. xP

xP Silver Belt

He's actually one of the better guys at using his height and reach but he lacks head movement and isn't good at getting off the cage (no pivots, doesn't tie up and smother, just tries to squeeze out).

Justin Gaethje also doesn't get enough credit for his pressure fighting skills. Everyone he fights gets their back put to the fence. I think some people miss the depth of skill in Justin's game because he's insanely reckless, but he is a not a dumb fighter in the slightest. He's quite efficient in the sense of his positioning relative to the opponent, strike selection, and such.

jeff7b9 likes this.
  16. CPH

CPH Let's party

Vick's problem can't be fixed. He has slow hands and slow defensive reactions. This means that he can't counter the entry strikes and becomes a sitting duck once the opponent is inside.

He could of course take a page from Econoreem's book; be super disciplined about staying on the outside and attacking mostly with single shots, kicks. But he'll always be walking a tightrope playing that game.

KeepItRealist likes this.
  17. CPH

CPH Let's party

I have to say one thing though: that middle kick of Vick's seems very heavy. It was the only thing that semed like it might stop Gaethje from advancing.

BLIND likes this.
  18. WinZip

WinZip Trial Version Expired

So maybe he should fight at a higher weight class where the fighters aren't as fast? You know, the fighters that are actually his size?

19. Moral Victory

Moral Victory Black Belt

Dang Struve was lean then, and lol even Roy looked a bit lighter around the midsection.

20. CPH

CPH Let's party

Sure, that'll be inevitable. Still, I question how successful he can be without the overwhelming size, reach advantage he's used to.