All of a sudden, Bellator's Pay per View doesn't seem so bad..

Isn’t Bellator where mma fighters go past their prime? Or is that just ufc propaganda?

Yeah if you put a small pile of stinky shit beside a big pile of stinky shit, the small pile doesn't seem as stinky anymore.

Conor and GSP are the only fighters left that draw anything on PPV
There were never any more than 1 or 2 fighters that drew PPV sales. The UFC's name drew PPV sales. The UFC destroyed their good name with bullshit like 125 lb men and womens divisions headlining $65 cards though.

Bellator is dope as fuck. It’s reached the point where if you don’t follow Bellator, you’re not a real mma fan. How can you call yourself a real mma fan and you’re missing fights like Rory-Mousasi, Fedor/Sonnen, MVP-Daley? Those aren’t minor league fights.

Last edited:
I thought FightPass was their exclusive channel.

I 100% agree with you. I always thought the UFC should have taken their content exclusively to fight pass. Made the price a little higher, like $19.99 a month and had their 3-4 monthly cards there. All the fights would immediately be in the fight library, instead of having to wait awhile because of TV network exclusivity deals. No commercials would be a major perk and they could still have the contender series and so forth. The UFC could have told Rebock to go pound salt and let the fighters keep their sponsorships. I think they are missing an opportunity there.

yeah, the way they handled fight pass was unbelievably stupid.

I would 100% be down to pay like 30$/month if it meant i got the entire fight library + PPVs+ the exclusive fight nights

instead they put like one shitty fight night on fight pass every month and give you like 5$ credit towards a PPV... lol..

I don't even subscribe to FP any longer, because it is an atrocious service that barely works on all devices, but I heard they recently removed all of the old events (first 20?). Not sure if that's true or not. Sounds like something they would do.

Very true. A rivalry makes everything better. WWE/WCW proved it as far as entertainment goes.

I don't think rivalries always make everything better when we are talking about competing promotions in top echelon of combat sports.

If the champions (or the promoters) aren't allowed to fight each other, it makes it harder for fans to see the very best fight the very best. Say hypothetically that the Bellator (or ONE) champions MIGHT be better than the UFC, we never get to find out. Like Ben Askren - he might have been one of the best ever, but he never fought the top WWs in the UFC. Or Fedor during his prime against UFC competition.

Don't get me started on boxing promotion rivalries that killed some of the best fights never to have happened.

Competing rivalries with respect to promotions in combat sports is usually terrible for competitive and entertainment purposes.

Last edited:
I don't think rivalries always make everything better when we are talking about competing promotions in top echelon of combat sports.

If the champions (or the promoters) aren't allowed to fight each other, it makes it harder for fans to see the very best fight the very best. Say hypothetically that the Bellator (or ONE) champions MIGHT be better than the UFC, we never get to find out. Like Ben Askren - he might have been one of the best ever, but he never fought the top WWs in the UFC. Or Fedor during his prime.

Don't get me started on boxing promotion rivalries that killed some of the best fights near to have happened.

Competing rivalries with respect to promotions in combat sports is usually terrible for competitive and entertainment purposes.

Competition rivalries are fine even if the fighters don't intersect often, because it means we'd have an actually healthy open agency situation where fighters go to whichever company offers them the most, rather than only really having two options.

Didn't they also lost money last year as a whole?

they're in a growth phase. Bellator can't grow fast if they try to actually make a profit. That's why Viacom is shelling out so much cash for them in the first place.

When a company comes into an industry that's already monopolized, they expect to have losses for the first 5-10 years maybe even more.

Competition rivalries are fine even if the fighters don't intersect often, because it means we'd have an actually healthy open agency situation where fighters go to whichever company offers them the most, rather than only really having two options.
But that's never happened and the promotions certainly don't agree that competition is a good thing. They'll just find new ways to dig hooks into the fighters without anything improving, same as it's always been.

Imagine baseball without the world series, except the players are making 45k per year instead of 20 million.

You are correct, it is great for fighters making money.

However, I (and the person I responded to) indicated that we are talking about "competitive and entertainment purposes", not financial for the fighters.

But, glad you are looking out for fighter's financial health at the detriment of our entertainment purposes. They are the ones putting their lives on the line so that is more important than my wish to have seen Fedor fight Brock or Couture near their primes.

Love that we aint going to mention they did that number while also charging less for the PPV. Than have to split it with the PPV provider as well. It was terrible for them.

... A superfight between Daniel Cormier and Stipe Miocic not even reaching 400k really puts things into perspective. Everybody is saying how much of a draw TJ dillashaw is now because his grudge match with Garbrandt did 300k.

people 'talk' about who is a draw and who isn't, but the numbers don't lie...

virtually *every* PPV for many years now that has done "big" numbers featured one of the following as a headliner: Conor, Ronda, Brock, Jones, GSP or Silva. PPVs are driven by star power and by luring in the 'casuals'.

DC vs. Stipe might qualify as a 'superfight' and TJ may be making a name for himself...but none of those guys is a "star" in the same vein as those on the list above.

there may indeed be a downward trend, regardless...but in 2017, GSP-Bisping still did over 800k...Jones-DC did over 800k...3rd place in 2017 (Cyborg) did not even do HALF those figures, IIRC.

this is why Dana bends over for Conor ('most disgusting thing ever'), Brock (PED cheat), GSP ('that ship has sailed'), Jones ('will never headline again')...

I have never been prejudice, I am not focused solely on the UFC. I watch whatever MMA events are on TV. The smaller orgs typically have some awesome finishes with up and comers. Bellator is not just a home for washed up UFC talent, they have a lot of great talent on their roster.

You are correct, it is great for fighters making money.

However, I (and the person I responded to) indicated that we are talking about "competitive and entertainment purposes", not financial for the fighters.

But, glad you are looking out for fighter's financial health at the detriment of our entertainment purposes. They are the ones putting their lives on the line so that is more important than my wish to have seen Fedor fight Brock or Couture near their primes.

oh i see what you're saying.

I see your point, i don't think we actually necessarily disagree anywhere.

Conor and GSP are the only fighters left that draw anything on PPV

you do realize the UFC has never been filled with a bunch of ppv stars. It's always been a few guys who carry the banner. When you're making 350 million per year from Reebok/Espn all you need is a couple guys who really sell.

This is how it always works. Someone like Adesanya, Costa, or Omalley will become a star and be the next guy to sell tons of ppvs.

I 100% agree with you. I always thought the UFC should have taken their content exclusively to fight pass. Made the price a little higher, like $19.99 a month and had their 3-4 monthly cards there. All the fights would immediately be in the fight library, instead of having to wait awhile because of TV network exclusivity deals. No commercials would be a major perk and they could still have the contender series and so forth. The UFC could have told Rebock to go pound salt and let the fighters keep their sponsorships. I think they are missing an opportunity there.

Yes they should lose hundreds of millions dollars per year to make Sherdoggers happy.

Back