All-Ireland Gaelic Football Final 2018 | Dublin vs Tyrone | Sun 2nd Sept

Rimbaud82

Black Belt
@Black
Reaction score

This Sunday, 3.30pm Irish Time, 7.30 am PST, 10.30am, EST. Basically Irelands equivalent of the Super Bowl (well, tied with the hurling final).

Tyrone in their first final since 2008 will be the huge underdogs against the all-conquering Dubs, who have dominated Gaelic Football in the past decade. They are going for four in a row if they win this year.

https://www.rte.ie/sport/gaa/2018/0828/988101-tyrones-long-and-winding/

Will post videos as they come up, as well as streams etc. on the day of the match if I can (might watch it in the pub instead).

@manlyseaeagle will you be tuning in?

Last edited:
For anyone not familiar with gaelic football, it is a great sport. High-scoring, and free-flowing (at its best anyway) with a lot of physicality. Although you can't outright tackle, you can body someone as hard as you like if its shoulder to shoulder:
crowley2.gif

The aim is to kick through the posts for 1 point:

or in the goal for 3 points, like a soccer goal:

However, unlike soccer you carry the ball in your hands, but you can only carry it for four steps at a time. It's a similar concept to travelling in basketball. After taking four steps, you either need to 'solo' it, which means dropping it on to your foot and then back into your hand, or else bounce it off the ground. But you can't bounce it twice in a row. It is a difficult skill which is unique to gaelic football:

The other main thing is that you can't throw the ball. You can pass either by kicking it, or 'hand-passing' which is striking the ball with your fist:
mayo2.gif

Some people complain that the modern game has too much safe hand-passing, but it is a brilliant game. For any yanks who think soccer is either too low-scoring, or else too much of a sport for diving pussies they should give gaelic football a go. Although it is only similar to soccer in so far as there is a ball and a net. In fact it has more in common with australian rules football.

Highlights from last time they played each other in the final:

Talking to myself a bit here, but sure....

Highlights from last time they played each other in the final:

Talking to myself a bit here, but sure....

remember watching that on Channel 4 and noticed a Oriental looking player called Jason Sherlock,

His dad was from hong kong, he is now part of the current dublin set-up as a coach.

He was a good wee player, I remember watching him too back when. Sorta became a mini-celeb of sorts.

Grew up with the farmers. Good people.
Lol, same, Me & Barry are the same age and Darren is my brothers age, small world, I'll pm you later mate. Cheers

@Rimbaud82 where'd ye watch the Final mate? My brother still over there, Johnnies man, went to the Club himself, I just streamed it here(Toronto).

Back