All Fights Should Be Five Rounds, Says UFC Fighter

How many rounds do you want non-title fights to last?

Votes: 16 31.4%

Votes: 2 3.9%

Votes: 25 49.0%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 8 15.7%

• Total voters

ReadWrite

Banned
Banned
Reaction score
"I didn’t get beat up; I didn’t lose a fight,” said Pearson, reflecting on his setback against newcomer and ex-Bellator champ Will Brooks at The Ultimate Fighter 23 Finale. “I just ran out of time.”

In his past six appearances, Pearson has won three and lost three with all of his losses coming by way of decision. The Brit is aware he’s often a slow starter in the cage, but he’d like it if there was more time to work overall.

“Going back to the judges and these three-round fights, it’s just hard to be like, ‘This guy clearly won the fight.’ Three rounds is a short time. I would like to see it go up to five rounds. It’s a lot more clear-cut over a long period of fight for a judge to score a fight,” he said.

http://mmajunkie.com/2016/07/ufc-201s-ross-pearson-suggests-five-round-non-title-fights-be-the-norm

Yeah,good luck sitting through a 5 round snooze fest with fighters you don't know on the prelims.

Sounds reasonable. Ross should have his people talk to the UFC about it:

"Okay, but if Ross loses either rd 4 or rd 5 on any judge's scorecard in any fight, we have the option of going back to 3-rounders for all UFC fighters. Okay? Deal?"

I voted 3.

Last edited:
I run to the fridge,open my beer,came back and fight is over...Yes,minimum 5

Maybe all fights on the PPV. Prelims stick at 3.

I do understand the improvement of 5 rounds for judging reasons

I run to the fridge,open my beer,came back and fight is over...Yes,minimum 5
So either you are extremely slow or you live in a giant house.

3 is enough for regular fights. So many fights would get extremely boring if guys start to slow down midfight and the likelyhood of a finish goes down.

I'd prefer TUF rules. 2 rds and 1 sudden death if needed over 10 5rd fight cards

So either you are extremely slow or you live in a giant house.

3 is enough for regular fights. So many fights would get extremely boring if guys start to slow down midfight and the likelyhood of a finish goes down.

Adding to the fact that it's not his house so he doesn't know where shit is.

I think I'm happy with the way it is. The UFC always has the choice to make certain fights 5 rounds. Ross is an exciting fighter, so I wouldn't mind seeing him in some 5 rounders.

It depends on the fight. After the first round of a lot of fights, most of us are thinking, "ok, I know where this is going", and wish they would pull the plug then.

He also said rounds should be 3 minutes.

3 is fine for most fights. There have been non-title fight main events that shouldn't have been 5 rounds (Muñoz vs. Leben being the first one under that rule change was ridiculous).

One idea I had is maybe for their to be a rankings threshold (top 5 or 8 or something like that, maybe varying by division) where if both fighters are within that threshold and the fight is booked that way to begin with (i.e. no late replacements), the fight would be 5 rounds regardless of main event status.

For example if Cowboy were to drop back down to 155 and rematch Nate Diaz as the co-main of a pay-per-view that already has a title fight on it, that would be 5 rounds as well. Both guys have the pedigree.

I say an optional 4th round, if the fight will result in a draw after 3 rounds, like they do in Glory.
The most fighters now a day have enough cardio for a 4th round, only in the HW division, it could be a bit problematic for some of them.

1 big 15 or 25 minute round fight, judge the fight in its entirety, screw the 10-Point Must System. This ain't boxing.

Pride rules and rounds, or why not the muay thai/kickboxing rounds of 3x3? might promote more action

main card fights are 5
championship are 7
Fighting GSP is one, 30 minute round, though. Should he return.

Back