All But Forgotten

Sean Gannon. Beat Kimbo in a street fight, was rushed to the UFC, lost in embarrasing fashion, never to be heard of again. While Kimbo is still around, still a big draw.

he came up on a recent JRE interesting story

I remember him getting worked by Brandon Lee Hinkle in that primeval UFC fight

Doesn't feel like you watched the fight, nor know what a 10-8 round is.

It was only because two judges gave out the oh-so-rare 10-8 that Fitch doesn't have a L on his record against Penn lol.

2 guys i always liked to watch were kharitonov and vovchanchyn

Jesus what a bunch of killers. Man those were the best days of MMA.

It certainly was a very compelling time in the sport's history. PRIDE, DEEP, Sengoku, WVR, Strikeforce was new, WEC was still around, IFL, and EliteXC was starting to become a thing.

just thought of brandon vera too, didnt see his name in here yet

hes not that old... but he was supposed to be the light heavy and heavy weight champ haha

The sport has finally been around long enough that some fighters whom were at one time big names or at least very notable have now all but been forgotten.

Who are some of these all - but - forgotten fighters that you still look back on their careers fondly? What are some of your favorite moments?

10-0 after this...

ioCkbX.gif

I think Kazuo Misaki never got the respect he deserved. Not many could beat Dan Henderson, Paul Daley, Denis Kang, Phil Baroni - standing.

Gono, Takase, Chonan... Wanted them all to succeed post-buyout.

Joachim Hansen used to be my guy.

Beastman, Sandman, Snowman, BATMAN oh my god I'm so sorry Kurt Pellegrino how could I forget you

Gumby, McLovin, Twinkletoes....

MMA is fun.

Great call on Hansen. I always liked watching Guy Mezger. and Jose Pele Landi

Last edited:
domononjonusuke

or however you said his name. He had some hype coming in... couldn't put it together in a way that mirrored any success he had in japan. Still liked the guy.

Ivan Salaverry. I don't know about "big name," but I enjoyed his fights. He gets mentioned by Rogan every once in a while when some current fighter gets a face-down body triangle.

Rutten is living it up on Axs TV. Watch that channel on a Friday night and it's like 25% Bas.

hahaha true. But I meant as a fighter.
Most people watching today has no clue how good he was.

IMHO he could have been considered GOAT if he didn't have to quit... He was just pure badass!!!

Justin Eilers - Fought some big names, fought AA for the title, murdered by his step dad.
Assu

Oleg Taktarov - even with his questionable win over Anthony Macias (which left Taktarov fresh for the final fight that night) - Oleg took a fucking beating from Tank, and then subbed the Tank.

Loved his toughness. And he wasn't half bad in 15 Minutes.... (with Bob DeNiro)

Paul Varelans

Varelans eating Igor's big punches and just marches forward, what a beast both those guys were.

Before UFC came around i'd watch Hockey just to see bare knuckle fights or push people into echother at school to see them scrap. Thank Jebus for UFC and mma.

Murilo Bustamante. He had close fights with Rampage and Hendo. Both could have gone his way.

It was only because two judges gave out the oh-so-rare 10-8 that Fitch doesn't have a L on his record against Penn lol.

Yes but 10-8 was the right call. Fitch absolutely whomped Penn in that last round, so bad I wasn't sure he was going to see the end of it. 10-8 rounds happen when there is an overwhelming amount of offense coming from one fighter while the other puts out very little. That is exactly what happened that round. Easy fight to score as a draw

Back