All But Forgotten

Didn't Sherk already beat Florian for the LW strap?

Yes. However it was Florians 2nd fight at lightweight, and Sherks lightweight debut. Kenny went on to have a far better career at 155.

Kenny is 9-3 at lightweight, all time. With three wins over top ten opponents(Huerta, Stevenson, Guida).

Sean is 4-2 at lightweight, all time, with maybe three wins over top ten opponents(Possibly Florian, Franca, an possibly Dunham). When Sherk got the belt, the best lightweights in the world weren't in the UFC, as the UFC had gotten rid of the division for 18 months prior.

Last edited:
Will always be a big Jardine fan. Also, Paul Kelly, Paul Taylor, and MARCUS DAVIS used to be guys to look forward to on UK cards. Sam Stout will soon join this list unfortunately; guy was a very exciting fighter in his time and had a verry long UFC career

Will always be a big Jardine fan. Also, Paul Kelly, Paul Taylor, and MARCUS DAVIS used to be guys to look forward to on UK cards. Sam Stout will soon join this list unfortunately; guy was a very exciting fighter in his time and had a verry long UFC career

throw in spencer fisher and this was my earlier days of becoming a hardcore fan. i had seen fights here and there but became hardcore watching these guys

Yes. However it was Florians 2nd fight at lightweight, and Sherks lightweight debut. Kenny went on to have a far better career at 155.

Well Sherk actually won the lightweight title, something Kenny can't say

You know what makes me happy, is that MTB is starting to become such a prominent coach. He's possibly the most overlooked guy in the division's history, as the placeholder between Faber and Aldo, but man he always seemed like such a cool guy and I loved watching him fight.

The Jon Fitch Undefeated Streak

8 in a row coming in, finished Burkman and then we got this classic

2db5xsw.jpg

After that he was the guy nobody wanted to face and fans didn't care to see despite having a streak rivaling Anderon Silva's. Finally got his shot at GSP and while it was clear he didn't have the same gifts GSP had, he had heart. GSP called it his hardest fight (until Condit). Even rattled off 5 more wins until the robbery draw.

Well Sherk actually won the lightweight title, something Kenny can't say

By beating someone with 7 fights on their record. He basically won it by default seeing as the UFC just opened the division back up after a year and a half, and by then the best lightweights were fighting in PRIDE and DEEP. A month before Sherk won the belt the lightweight top ten was:

Takanori Gomi
Tatsuya Kawajiri
Mitsuhiro Ishida
Hayato Sakurai
Vitor Ribeiro
Joachim Hansen
Marcus Aurelio
Gilbert Melendez
Norifumi Yamamoto
Koutetsu Boku

By beating someone with 7 fights on their record. He basically won it by default seeing as the UFC just opened the division back up after a year and a half, and by then the best lightweights were fighting in PRIDE and DEEP. A month before Sherk won the belt the lightweight top ten was:

Takanori Gomi
Tatsuya Kawajiri
Mitsuhiro Ishida
Hayato Sakurai
Vitor Ribeiro
Joachim Hansen
Marcus Aurelio
Gilbert Melendez
Norifumi Yamamoto
Koutetsu Boku
Jesus what a bunch of killers. Man those were the best days of MMA.

2db5xsw.jpg

After that he was the guy nobody wanted to face and fans didn't care to see despite having a streak rivaling Anderon Silva's. Finally got his shot at GSP and while it was clear he didn't have the same gifts GSP had, he had heart. GSP called it his hardest fight (until Condit). Even rattled off 5 more wins until the robbery draw.

What robbery draw? BJ took Fitch down and rode his back for two rounds of that fight lol.

2db5xsw.jpg

Thanks I always wanted to see that KO

Scott Smith. Was king of the comebacks there for a while. Amazing brink of defeat KO against Pete Sell. Awesome comeback against Cung Le in Strikeforce. Then had that awful looking abrupt KO after taking a left from Daley. Never seen a fighter drop so quickly in my life. He was never the same after that.

James Irvin. Awesome flying knee KO's against Terry Martin and Houston Alexander (8 seconds). Took on Anderson Silva when no one else wanted to. Ended up losing a couple more fights and was released from the UFC. Lost a bunch on the regional circuit. Even did that stupid X-Arm fighting thing. I believe he's now signed with Bellator but hasn't fought due to injury.

Ivan Salaverry. I don't know about "big name," but I enjoyed his fights. He gets mentioned by Rogan every once in a while when some current fighter gets a face-down body triangle.

Bas Rutten

Rutten is living it up on Axs TV. Watch that channel on a Friday night and it's like 25% Bas.

Rumina Sato, Igor Vovchanchin, Ralph Gracie

The only reason anyone has even talked about Leben in the last six months is because he got booked and sentenced for assault.

Nobody really talks about Forest except to mention the Anderson fight.

Back