Media Aljo: I thought it would be ruled a No contest. I didn't even want [the title]

Well, personally I don't care what he does with the belt that he was rightfully given according to the rules of the sport that we're fans of.

But i do find this situation hilarious because Aljo is a cool, level headed dude, yet he now has the opportunity to become the biggest troll in mma history if he wears his belt as often as possible.

I find people's outrage at him to be hilarious. They rightfully gave him the belt. He can do what he wants with it. There's no real standard or precedent for a rare situation like this.

I also don't think he's explaining in hopes of converting the opinion these angry tough guys on the internet; he's explaining his perspective for his fans like he does after every event on his youtube channel.

The shot was illegal, and the win by DQ was perfectly in accordance with the rules. Yan made a bad mistake, and the shot certainly landed. And I understand it is beneficial to him immensely to take the win, regardless of method.

But to take the win by exploiting the rules, throwing a ridiculous shitshow, and capitalizing on a mistake in that way when he was clearly getting beaten soundly, is just dishonorable and opportunistic. I will never support a guy who does that.

Dc got a gift belt. Literally after jon jones was popped for PEDs after getting beat by jones.. He Said this himself. Doesn't understand the optics of sterling celebrating.

DC is one person. Now we have two and the situations aren't really the same.

Who is to say that DC was right and sterling is wrong?

I assume he could hear joe Rogan and dc screaming about it. They started talking rely really loud cage side. Like they were giving sterling a heads up.

no way sterling didn’t hear it.

that’s my two cents

The shot was illegal, and the win by DQ was perfectly in accordance with the rules. Yan made a bad mistake, and the shot certainly landed. And I understand it is beneficial to him immensely to take the win, regardless of method.

But to take the win by exploiting the rules, throwing a ridiculous shitshow, and capitalizing on a mistake in that way when he was clearly getting beaten soundly, is just dishonorable and opportunistic. I will never support a guy who does that.

What "ridiculous shit show?" You mean how he acted when he was rocked by a knee and emotional as fuck?

I give guys a pass for how they act in situations like that. Just like i give reem a pass for saying he felt stipe tap right before stipe knocked him out.

DC is one person. Now we have two and the situations aren't really the same.

Who is to say that DC was right and sterling is wrong?
Imo DC is right. Both got a gift title but over went about handling it a better way.

I had aljo winning the fight until he got tired.i had it 2-1 for him and would have been 2-2 in my mind has he not get kneed

I think people get too deep into this shit. At the end of the day, if Aljo keeps winning, he'll be fine. If he loses, all these haters or all these supporters of cheater Yan will be happy.

The fight will settle it as long as one doesn't cheat again.
Once they have a rematch this will be water under the bridge. But aljo doing damage control then not understanding why he's getting hate is a little naive and a little moronic. Just stay off the internet!

I also think that these fighters and their gyms are very clique-ish. Word gets around. Just how losses change lives of fighters, so can controversial stuff like this. I wouldn't underestimate the implications that can come from all this whether fair or unfair.

Imo DC is right. Both got a gift title but over went about handling it a better way.

I had aljo winning the fight until he got tired.i had it 2-1 for him and would have been 2-2 in my mind has he not get kneed

In my opinion, both of these guys are right in how they handled the situation. DC's way of handling it was honourable, but I'm also glad that Aljo isn't acting like an ashamed loser that got lucky, which is seemingly how people want him to act despite the fact that he did nothing wrong and got that belt via the rules. Whether we like it or not, he's got the belt until he loses it. If he wants to stay positive and have some self respect in the meantime, then I'm all for it, public perception be damned.

Aljo has already said he's financially set for life anyways, so what ever financial blowback this might have doesn't matter.

Last edited:
In my opinion, both of these guys are right in how they handled the situation. DC's way of handling it was honourable, but I'm also glad that Aljo isn't acting like an ashamed loser, which is seemingly how people want him to act despite the fact that he did nothing wrong and got that belt via the rules. Whether we like it or not, he's got the belt until he loses it. If he wants to stay positive and have some self respect in the meantime, then I'm all for it
I don't get that impression at all from the majority of the comments. I see people harping on him for milking the knee which he did, 100% frankie edgar can't remember he even fought but this dude was able to have a full complex breakdown of his career at that time..doesn't make sense but I digress, it's not so much the knee. Everyone saw the replay. It was a pretty hard knee.

I think people would have been 50-50 on that if it was just that incident. Hell, they may even lean in favor of aljo.

But I think the acting job, the post fight interview, the social media stuff, the cejudo stuff. Etc he set that up to where people that may originally been on his side may think he's acting on the whole thing, that maybe the knee wasn't as bad as it looks.

Like it or not, justified or not, he's making yan a sympathetic character by trying to do damage control and over explain himself where he could have just shut the fuck up, lay low. He would still be champion, there still be a rematch and more people would be sympathetic to what happen.

I just hope this doesn't affect his business negatively but it might. The guy looks up to khabib, possibilty he could have trained with him. Why would he train with him now? Fighters think like this. They're very cliquish high school style. I'm just using khabib as an example

I don't get that impression at all from the majority of the comments. I see people harping on him for milking the knee which he did, 100% frankie edgar can't remember he even fought but this dude was able to have a full complex breakdown of his career at that time..doesn't make sense but I digress, it's not so much the knee. Everyone saw the replay. It was a pretty hard knee.

I think people would have been 50-50 on that if it was just that incident. Hell, they may even lean in favor of aljo.

Bit I think the acting job, the post fight interview, the social media stuff, the cejudo stuff. Etc he set that up to where people that may originally been on his side may think he's acting on the whole thing, that maybe the knee wasn't as bad as it looks.

Like it or not, justified or not, he's making yan a sympathetic character by jist trying to do damage control and over explain himself where he could have just shut the fuck up, lay low. He would still be champion, there still be a rematch and more people would be sympathetic to what happen.

I just hope this doesn't affect his business negatively but it might. The guy looks up to khabib, possibilty could have trained with him. Why would he train with him now? Fighters think like this. They're very cliquish high school style. I'm just using khabib as an example

I honestly don't know if he was acting. I agree with aljo that we're not russian doctors, well I'm not... don't know about you. I also don't think aljo cares about public perception--again, he makes these videos for his fans. The guy has said he's financially set for life and only fights because he enjoys it, so if there's financial downsides to this, I doubt he cares.

He also has a good relationship with many russian and dagestani fighters. I doubt they're holding this against him. If they are, then fuck em. Those are cheap friends.

What "ridiculous shit show?" You mean how he acted when he was rocked by a knee and emotional as fuck?

I give guys a pass for how they act in situations like that. Just like i give reem a pass for saying he felt stipe tap right before stipe knocked him out.

Only he knows if he was truly as hurt as he acted. But, frankly, I think you have to be really gullible or fanatically biased to buy into that act. It was utterly ridiculous. He took the easy way out.

Evidently, if he was really hurt to the extent that he made it appear he was he would be completely blameless, other than saying he would take a Cejudo fight before giving Yan a rematch, which is sleazy beyond belief.

People are upset because it was blatantly a hoax, and only blind favoritism will shroud that. And now he's playing with the idea of getting a big money fight before giving Yan a rematch, even if Dana won't grant it.

Oh, and I was picking Aljo to win, and was rooting for him before the fight. Never again. Same with Diego.

I honestly don't know if he was acting. I agree with aljo that we're not russian doctors, well I'm not... don't know about you. I also don't think aljo cares about public perception--again, he makes these videos for his fans. The guy has said he's financially set for life and only fights because he enjoys it, so if there's financial downsides to this i doubt he cares.

He also has a good relationship with many russian fighters. I doubt they're holding this against him. If they are, then fuck em. Those are cheap friends.
I'm not taking about friends. I'm taking about business, not friendships and I'm not just talking about Russians. I used khabib as an example. I don't think aljo would be a pariah or anything but I could see it affecting business relationships. I'm not saying it's likely but like you said this is unprecedented. I think the best way to handle it would have take the belt and lay low.

It's not about just the money. It's about business relationships. It's about his reputation. He's still ambitious outside of fighting. He wants to open up a martial arts school. If he has a reputation of a dishonorable dude, who will recommend that school. That's what I mean by financial implications as well.

I think ultimately once they fight again, it'll be water underneath the bridge but don't underestimate stuff like this. I underestimated loses for fighters. I didn't think they were a big deal but they are to fighters. Don't underestimate fighters reputation among their peers.

Only he knows if he was truly as hurt as he acted. But, frankly, I think you have to be really gullible or fanatically biased to buy into that act. It was utterly ridiculous. He took the easy way out.

Evidently, if he was really hurt to the extent that he made it appear he was he would be completely blameless, other than saying he would take a Cejudo fight before giving Yan a rematch, which is sleazy beyond belief.

People are upset because it was blatantly a hoax, and only blind favoritism will shroud that. And now he's playing with the idea of getting a big money fight before giving Yan a rematch, even if Dana won't grant it.

Oh, and I was picking Aljo to win, and was rooting for him before the fight. Never again. Same with Diego.

I'm not buying into any act. I honestly don't know. So I'm not going to pretend I do know and then get mad by my assumptions.

I'm not taking about friends. I'm taking about business, not friendships and I'm not just talking about Russians. I used khabib as an example. I don't think aljo would be a pariah or anything but I could see it affecting business relationships. I'm not saying it's likely but like you said this is unprecedented. I think the best way to handle it would have take the belt and lay low.

It's not about just the money. It's about business relationships. It's about his reputation. He's still ambitious outside of fighting. He wants to open up a martial arts school. If he has a reputation of a dishonorable dude, who will recommend that school. That's what I mean by financial implications as well.

I think ultimately once they fight again, it'll be water underneath the bridge but don't underestimate stuff like this. I underestimated loses for fighters. I didn't think they were a big deal but they are to fighters

hmm, I think you're over thinking it. You guys are acting like he murdered a puppy or something lol. He'll be fine, so will Yan.

Everything he said makes sense why he would take the DQ. Get the money, get the rematch and another chance at the title. He justified it by not justifying it.

Lol... how did he not justify it. When all those reasons he stated, literally justifies why he took the DQ. I love sherdoggers just saying shit for the sake of saying shit.

I'm not buying into any act. I honestly don't know. So I'm not going to pretend I do know and then get mad by my assumptions.

Sorry, I'm not buying your neutrality any more than Sterling's act.

It's not that you are avoiding passing judgment because you are neutral and objective. You are turning a blind eye on the obvious because you like him. It's as simple as that.

You can try to pretend Sterling was not acting, but no one's buying it, excepting those who have inherent biases. One is either blind or stupid to think that was anything other than what it was: a farce.

Again, I was picking him to win and rooting for him. But that was just pathetic.

Good god it’s an mma fight.

You fucks act like he had some sincere violation of morality. This probably coming from a handful of basement dwellers who don’t pay child support.

It’s gonna be ok. There will be another fight. They will hate each other because one thing we know about Russians - they’re emotional types. It’s gonna be awesome. Relax.

Aljo has nobody to blame but himself for this backlash, and anyone trying to stick up for him just looks silly at this point.

He didn't feel he could continue? Okay, fine. But at least be consistent. If he had left the belt there, went on social media and said "I don't feel like a champ, I'm not going to act like I'm the champ, me and Yan need to run this back", he wouldn't be getting this kind of backlash.

Instead, his story keeps changing: first he's crying and he doesn't want the belt, throws it down and leaves it in the octagon... then he's smiling and taking pictures with it with his buddies. He has to be carried out of the octagon because he's so concussed from the knee.... then he goes to the hospital and gets a clean bill of health. Then he goes on Twitter and sells the knee again like it was Sandhagen/Edgar... then he's making jokes about it... and now he's saying he didn't know he would win if it didn't continue, which is absolute bullshit because the ref told the doctor he was going to rule it intentional when he was standing a foot away from Aljo.

It's all just damage control. Bottom line is, he was exhausted and beat up, probably on his way to getting stopped in the 5th, he saw a cheap way out and he took it.

Sorry, I'm not buying your neutrality any more than Sterling's act.

It's not that you are avoiding passing judgment because you are neutral and objective. You are turning a blind eye on the obvious because you like him. It's as simple as that.

You can try to pretend Sterling was not acting, but no one's buying it, excepting those who have inherent biases. One is either blind or stupid to think that was anything other than what it was: a farce.

Again, I was picking him to win and rooting for him. But that was just pathetic.

I'm not buying that you're an expert on how people act after being gassed and kneed in the head, either. I guess we're at a stalemate lol.

Back