Aljo and Matt Serra now have something in common

welcometohavoc

Yellow Card
Yellow Card
Reaction score
Aljo and his coach Matt Serra now have something in common. Both became champions yet neither will be considered #1 in their division

Serra outclassed GSP on the feet while Aljo took an illegal knee after being dominated. Not really comparable situations

Matt Serra came into that fight to KO GSP and he did. GSP had the wrong gameplan, Serra wasn't known for his punching power at the time, he was known for his BJJ. GSP thought he should strike with Serra and he was wrong.

What does winning legitimately via finishing your opponent and winning via your opponent getting DQ'd have in common?

Serra earnt his title aljo didnt

There are plenty of fighters that touched the belt without being considered #1 of their division (mcgregor..bisping etc)

Sterling was gifted the belt for a humiliating acting job. He embarrassed himself. Serra won the fight.

Some people in this thread either can't read or don't have the cognitive capability to comprehend statements.

I never said Matt Serra's win was illegitimate. I said he was never considered #1 even as champ

Matt Serra made GSP tap to strikes lol how is this even comparable

Matt Serra made GSP tap to strikes lol how is this even comparable

The way they won is not the issue of comparison. The legitimacy of their wins is not the issue of comparison.

The only issue of comparison I made is the fact that both will not be consider #1 in their division despite being champion. That's it. Nothing else. Everything else you people are bringing up is irrelevant to this conversation

TS's actual point is correct. He isn't saying Matt Serra's win wasn't legit. He's saying no one favoured him over GSP in a rematch at any point, just as no one now would favour Sterling in a rematch with Yan

Matt actually won the belt by making his opponent tap to strikes.

GSP wasn't even winning the Serra fight before the KO. Serra won every second of that fight.

Serra was the better fighter that night.

Back