News Aljamain Sterling injured and out of UFC 267 title fight vs. Petr Yan

Zero chance Yan fights anyone else if it's not for legit title.

You can spin it however you like, but no one really sees Sterling as the champ. It would have been the same scenario if Anthony Smith took the DQ vs Jon Jones
Obviously. I'm saying that should have no baring on whether a champion is stripped or not and wouldn't in a real sport. The majority of UFC marks treat MMA like pro wrestling with real fights though so there'll be much less blowback when the UFC elects to use arbitrary criteria to create an interim belt or strip Aljo. In fact it's the most common sentiment in this thread.

I'm in favor of consistency because I am more in favor of MMA being treated like a sport and less like sports entertainment. I just hope Aljo recovers quickly and can get that title defense pay day.

A ppv headlined by aljo - yan isn’t going to get him paid much.
Probably just base pay and normal bonuses.

It used to be they had to hit 400k to begin PPV bonuses. I don't know if that changed I'm their contracts when they switched to ESPN+.

Regardless, I don't see this fight being a big draw, neither fighter is a draw and the storyline is ok but isn't going to get people to BUY the PPV.

"Sterling, 31, said he should be ready to defend his title by October or early November."
- April 9th

https://www.espn.com/mma/story/_/id...eight-champion-aljamain-sterling-neck-surgery

He apparently had the issue for 10 years and decided to get the surgery right after being gifted the title. Said in April that he would be back by Oct or early Nov, but now it's going to take longer.

I think it's obvious that his decisions have been at least partially motivated by not wanting to re-match Yan. He wants Yan to fight and to lose or get injured.
Neck injuries are weird and take some time to get back from. Tons of athletes have retired due to them, so I am not surprised

Holy shit Rob Font for the interim title next month. That is legitimately the only appropriate fight to book if he's ready. I do wish he got more time to prepare for Yan but in the UFC these guys have to take whatever opportunities they can on the way up.

If you noticed, Aljo was on Embedded at the Performance Institute on Wednesday, so this likely isn't some random surprise, he's at the UFC facilities.

Presumably he just needs more time to recuperate, the turnaround seemed to fast in the first place.

Well, He was there for Merab, but there might be more to it. Hopefully more info comes out soon. And yeah, I hope Font gets the shot. Admittedly, I'd like him to have a bit more time to prepare, but it's one hell of an opportunity either way.

lol at everyone inferring algoat is afraid of yan when he already beat him once

No interim. Strip and fill that vacancy with Yan vs whoever’s number 2 contender right now.

iu

I am sure TJ would take the fight. Strip Aljo and make it a vacant title fight.

There goes whatever bit of popularity he had left.

Been saying it for a while. Aljo should just go full on heel. Would do him more favors than whatever this is.

it feels like it's been ages but I guess it's only been like 6 months? I am starting to dislike aljo

Damn, that sucks. This needs to be settled. Disagree with the calls to be stripped though unless this will be an extended absence, it hasn’t been that long, people just hate him and are responding emotionally. Guy fairly won the belt according to the rules whether people like it or not. But an interim title may very well might be warranted depending on how long we’re talking.

there has to be a reason.
He can't simply pull out because he doesn't feel like it. Not after signing the contract.

I rather give the benefit of the doubt until I understand what happened.

Damn, that sucks. This needs to be settled. Disagree with the calls to be stripped though unless this will be an extended absence, it hasn’t been that long, people just hate him and are responding emotionally. Guy fairly won the belt according to the rules whether people like it or not. But an interim title may very well might be warranted depending on how long we’re talking.

Time wise it hasn’t been that long but isn’t this his second time pulling out in 6 months?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bob Gnuheart
Back