Law Alito Decries 'Hostility to Religion' in First Public Remarks Since Abortion Decision

I wouldn't consider the US anti-clerical, quite the opposite. I use that term specifically because I want to single out those states that are actively hostile to religious folks(USSR, Revolutionary France, PRC etc) and to exclude secular ones which aren't like the US. Obviously if you write in the idea of religious freedom in your constitution that's not anticlerical. Of course just because the US isn't now an anti-clerical state now doesn't mean it can't become one in the future and certainly it seems that some people would want us to become more like France in that regard.
The fact that the US has a freedom of religion rule absolutely sets it aside from the USSR. But it also sets it aside from many of the Stans which operate similarly to the CCCP. There's only one all governing supreme ideology and anything else is heretical. Whether the singular path is Allah or the collective all must adhere to the path demanded by our mythos is the same demand.

And while I think your "anti-clerical" line is pretty clever and factually on point, the Soviet Union also had a clerical class. The Chairman was the Pope, the politburo was the defacto Vatican seat and the ranking party members were the clergy. My uncle was one of these clergy members.

And yes, I am playing word games. Under communism there wasn't an omnipotent, omniscient being orchestrating events. There was an even more fantastical idea driving the craziness. And that's the belief in a utopian society where people's individuality is non existent, everyone is equally lazy and equally motivated at the same time and human nature is something that can be replaced with a hive mind. A belief in the supernatural pales in comparison to such a provably, and repeatedly proven false idiocy. There very well may be a sort of prime mover or a consciousness as we're all made up of the same stuff at the end of the day, so that idea can not be disproven with our current knowledge. Communism, however, is a failed experiment. I think we're all connected and can't wrap my mind around something manifesting from nothing without prompt, or a nudge or something.

So, to me, the difference is scant as the implementation by those wanting to establish the dominance of their ideology is the problem. Christianity did that for centuries at the expense of progress and Communism did it for decades at the expense of even more lives. Both supremacist, all encompassing way of life while the ruled, and neither one implemented properly according to many of their respective followers.

The god of Abraham faiths and communism are all supremacist ideologies as they preach being the singular ways. Native American spirituality was pluralistic, Hinduism is pluralistic, Shintoism, pagan beliefs, ancestry worship, animism, etc etc all leave room for diversity of belief. As does liberalism.

So, to use the tired line, if you disbelieve in 99999999 out of 10000000 gods, then, unless you're blissfully unaware or immensely arrogant, you are for all intents and purposes an atheist. So if Xenu can be a higher power, than so can the idea of a utopia brought about by succumbing to the collective good.

Anyways, once again I'm babbling. I truly have no beef with faith or spirituality as i think it's better to believe in something more than ourselves. But monoideological (trademark if new) beliefs are problematic as they lead to an attempt to establish dominance.

Also a good follow-up to people criticizing the Catholic church "ok so let's both agree to support the immediate death penalty for child molesters ok?"

Didn't mafia men regularly attend church? Religion is a joke
How is this an argument against religion? All this indicates to me is that Mafia men felt guilty and wanted that guilt assuaged.

Those comments are frankly disturbing from anyone in a position of power, let alone an SCJ.

Good luck America.

3 reasons

1. I don't give a shit about Biden
2. Whatever it is that Biden has done, you didn't list any stats or studies that proves your point. Further, in no way shape or form does that equate to "open borders".
3. You are essentially bitching about some bird shit on the windshield of your car when that same car has 4 flat tires and needs a new engine. Ie, I find it ridiculous that this is what occupies all of your time and concerns you about US politics when essentially the GOP has not done a solitary thing for you economically in 50 years.

The fact that the US has a freedom of religion rule absolutely sets it aside from the USSR. But it also sets it aside from many of the Stans which operate similarly to the CCCP. There's only one all governing supreme ideology and anything else is heretical. Whether the singular path is Allah or the collective all must adhere to the path demanded by our mythos is the same demand.

And while I think your "anti-clerical" line is pretty clever and factually on point, the Soviet Union also had a clerical class. The Chairman was the Pope, the politburo was the defacto Vatican seat and the ranking party members were the clergy. My uncle was one of these clergy members.

And yes, I am playing word games. Under communism there wasn't an omnipotent, omniscient being orchestrating events. There was an even more fantastical idea driving the craziness. And that's the belief in a utopian society where people's individuality is non existent, everyone is equally lazy and equally motivated at the same time and human nature is something that can be replaced with a hive mind. A belief in the supernatural pales in comparison to such a provably, and repeatedly proven false idiocy. There very well may be a sort of prime mover or a consciousness as we're all made up of the same stuff at the end of the day, so that idea can not be disproven with our current knowledge. Communism, however, is a failed experiment. I think we're all connected and can't wrap my mind around something manifesting from nothing without prompt, or a nudge or something.

So, to me, the difference is scant as the implementation by those wanting to establish the dominance of their ideology is the problem. Christianity did that for centuries at the expense of progress and Communism did it for decades at the expense of even more lives. Both supremacist, all encompassing way of life while the ruled, and neither one implemented properly according to many of their respective followers.

The god of Abraham faiths and communism are all supremacist ideologies as they preach being the singular ways. Native American spirituality was pluralistic, Hinduism is pluralistic, Shintoism, pagan beliefs, ancestry worship, animism, etc etc all leave room for diversity of belief. As does liberalism.

So, to use the tired line, if you disbelieve in 99999999 out of 10000000 gods, then, unless you're blissfully unaware or immensely arrogant, you are for all intents and purposes an atheist. So if Xenu can be a higher power, than so can the idea of a utopia brought about by succumbing to the collective good.

Anyways, once again I'm babbling. I truly have no beef with faith or spirituality as i think it's better to believe in something more than ourselves. But monoideological (trademark if new) beliefs are problematic as they lead to an attempt to establish dominance.
Yeah sorry, the idea that ideologies you don't like, such as communism, are religions while ones you do like, like liberalism, aren't is just a hack argument with all due respect.

I already made my case earlier as why this mode of analysis is nonsensical and not internally coherent so I won't make it again. Suffice to say that if you ask the indigenous people of the Americas or the people colonized by the French and British in the 19th and 20th centuries, they certainly won't tell you liberalism was so tolerant to them and their ways of life.

It's ironic the religious right's desire to force women to get abortions(and the manner in which they appointed justices to do this) has turned the US govt into a house of cards that can't stand. In theory the federalist societys mission is to convince people their backwards system is fair and impartial. In the process of their mission to overturn even many normies will never be under that illusion again.

Haven't watched it yet but I will say that there is a hostility to religion in some developed Western countries and this is of course not a good thing. That said, religious fanatics with unpopular policy ideas who push them through by gaming the least representative institutions of the country like the SCOTUS aren't going to help the public perception of religious folks.
The only "hostility" I see is a rejection of religion in public spaces. Most people have a live-and-let-live attitude about religion, so long as it isnt forced upon everyone in a public setting like school, government, work etc.

Back