Alistair Overeem, the biggest hypetrain...

also 2 times of vitor belfort

against werdum he didnt wanted to go to the ground so he took some sloppy soft shots in the standup - its not that he got outstruck - he just took those
it was werdum who was the pussy in that fight - if you want to go to the ground take him down. He totaly buttscooted the whole time. He should got a penalty

It stops being a hypetrain when you win against a fighter who's one fight removed from beating the greatest HW of all time and then move on to completely wipe out a fighter who's one fight and 30% of his colon removed from being the UFC HW champion.

corrected for you

reem did have broken ribs going into the fight with werdum.
i dont remember, did he even throw leg kicks?

Watch the first round against Werdum. Bigfoot completely dominated him and would have probably won in the end had he not broken both of his hands.
Bigfoot is as underrated as they get.

Yeah, I probably could stand to go back and rewatch that.

Werdum and Brock are both credible HW wins. I, for one would like to see him fight Kharitonov, again. But that's probably not going to happen, ever. The Werdum fight was horrible, and I think both Cain and Junior have more than enough to not only beat Alistair, but finish him in impressive fashion.

He's a top 5 HW, but I don't think he matches up well with both Junior and Cain. Cain, especially.

the only way I agree with TS is literally: yes, Overeem is literally the largest guy with hype.

And don't forget Sergei(when Sergei was on one of the more impressive winning streaks in the HW division) and Hunt. Hell, even Duffee and Buentello were pretty good wins.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kharitonov injure his shoulder during that fight? I remember Sergei not being able to do much on the ground, and was even helped out of the ring.

Seriously. Overeem has not ONE notable accomplishment in the HW division. He has not one impressive win (except for what.. Brett Rogers?) and people constantly tout him as the one to beat JDS and Cain :redface:

Don't mention K1 either, I'm talking MMA.

He has wins over Brock Lesnar, Fabricio Werdum, Todd Duffee, Mark Hunt and was absolutely demolishing Cro Cop in the clinch prior to the fight being halted. IMO Dos Santos had more trouble dealing with Cro Cop just a year removed from Overeem/Cro Cop

Overeem's resume is deceptively solid and if any thing it's underrated by people around here.

Not to mention the manner in which he has crushed the vast majority of them...

overeem hasn't beaten cain or JDS yet, because he hasn't fought them yet, it's as simple as that.

and you said don't mention K1, but it's hard not to, seeing as how cain and junior don't have good enough standup to even stand a chance in k1. badr hari could ko JDS in an mma fight.

and so could reem.

Healthy Kharitonov:

07_kharitonov_overeem_13.jpg

Yes Werdum who just had the biggest win in mma history is not a good win. Nailed it.

Same here.

Rogers gave Fedor more trouble than anyone thought he would. Then Overeem made Rogers look like a child.

Werdum beat Fedor. Then Overeem won that bizarre contest of whatever you want to call it. Fight? Not sure that applies, but he still won.

Brock was a recent UFC HW champion whose only unavenged loss was to current HW champ Cain Velasquez. Overeem made him look like he had no business in the cage.

Sometimes it's not just the caliber of competition that sets you apart - it's how soundly you destroy competition of a slightly lower caliber. Remember Todd Duffee/Alistair Overeem? Just a couple of weeks after winning the K-1 tournament, Overeem traveled to the future and ate Todd Duffee's children in front of him.

He may or may not be able to beat JDS/Cain. But I don't agree with the notion that he's some unproven heavyweight.

I hate to be that guy, but Rogers has since gone 2-3, Werdum did outstrike him and probably only lost the decision because of his own choice to keep pulling guard and we're not sure how much Brock's illness affected him leading up to that fight.

I hate to be that guy, but Rogers has since gone 2-3, Werdum did outstrike him and probably only lost the decision because of his own choice to keep pulling guard and we're not sure how much Brock's illness affected him leading up to that fight.

Yes, which are all valid points, of course. There's more than one way to look at any win and any loss.

That's one thing I love about MMA. There's so many different ways to look at fights, so many excuses to make after losses (some legit and some not, and it's very hard to know the difference). You never know how a fight will actually play out until it does. Makes it exciting when the cage door closes and we get to see all the data points and analysis come to a head and the two guys just fight. Love it.

Then we get to see the excuses for the new fight :D

I still think the Reem is a beast and will do amazing sh*t in UFC. Well, provided he receives his licence to fight.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Kharitonov injure his shoulder during that fight? I remember Sergei not being able to do much on the ground, and was even helped out of the ring.

Yeah, he dislocated it when Reem took him down. But still, a win is a win.

Yeah me too, I'd like to watch it again to be honest. It depends if you score anything to Overeem for defending the takedowns as I recall, but there's every chance that Werdum actually outstruck him.

According to fightmetric Werdum outstruck him with both significant and total strikes. He outstruck Overeem in round 1 and 3.

Back