Alistair Overeem: Fedor does not deserve to be named "greatest heavyweight ever"

He has a poimt. I am a huge Fedor nuthugger, but the facts are fact the victors write history and the UFC is the victor.

Fedor was never in the UFC so he will be forgotten by many people except the old school fans who will eventually die. Fedor's run in Pride and leading up to 2009 was awesome but after that he did take the easy way out. I realize he beat top 10 fighters but it says a lot that he didn't want to be in the UFC contract. And what that says is he wanted to pick and choose who he fights and not have to face the elite of elite.

This belief that Dana was unwilling to sign Fedor is bullshit the guy tried 3x and offered Fedor more than most fighters will ever get. In addition, M1 Global demanding co-promotion is bullshit given that they are nothing and just wanted to mooch off the UFC brand.

If Fedor had simply come to the UFC and won a fight or two especially while undefeated. The UFC would of claimed him as their own and shown all sorts of "behind the scenes" and fight accsss shit would be done about him. They would try and cement Fedor as their fighter. But since he avoided the UFC and now they have no reason to give him attention, that is unless he wants to come to the UFC.

UFC would be nuts to not sign Fedor. It is all up to Fedor though.

And now delusional Fedor fans who can't see reality will attack me and use the usual list of "look who a Fedor beat he doesn't need UFC". That is true and all but going forward he won't be cemented like boxing cemented Muhammad Ali or Iron Mike Tyson.

Keep in mind that there are new mma fans everyday who never saw Anderson fight in his prime. And yet the will hear from Rogan and the entire mma establishment world that Anderson is the greatest ever and UFC will play his fights over and over again via rerunns on Fox Sports1, 2, etc.

The only time Fedor gets mentioned is when Rogan and Goldberg are introducing a HW who fought Fedor. Like Wedrum and they mention that Werdum submitted Fedor who had been undefeated for 10 years.

4781347-0268439589-LOLwu.gif

Fedor is no longer in his prime and his era as the greatest heavyweight is over. However, during his reign, he didn't have to fight in the UFC because the best heavyweights were already in Pride, and he had been smashing all the top heavys for years while guys like Paul Buentello and Justin Eilers were contenders in the UFC lol. Not to mention, he beatdown Sylvia and KO'ed Arlovski, both in their prime and both guys were champions and had decent runs as heavyweight champs for the UFC. Fedor has nothing to prove, his legacy as the greatest heavyweight of all time is secure and he will always be considered in the running for GOAT.

Overeem called himself the best HW ever but said something like this instead: "I like the way that sounds but I am humble so I won't call myself that".
Lol @ "humblereem"

He has a poimt. I am a huge Fedor nuthugger, but the facts are fact the victors write history and the UFC is the victor.

Fedor was never in the UFC so he will be forgotten by many people except the old school fans who will eventually die. Fedor's run in Pride and leading up to 2009 was awesome but after that he did take the easy way out. I realize he beat top 10 fighters but it says a lot that he didn't want to be in the UFC contract. And what that says is he wanted to pick and choose who he fights and not have to face the elite of elite.

This belief that Dana was unwilling to sign Fedor is bullshit the guy tried 3x and offered Fedor more than most fighters will ever get. In addition, M1 Global demanding co-promotion is bullshit given that they are nothing and just wanted to mooch off the UFC brand.

If Fedor had simply come to the UFC and won a fight or two especially while undefeated. The UFC would of claimed him as their own and shown all sorts of "behind the scenes" and fight accsss shit would be done about him. They would try and cement Fedor as their fighter. But since he avoided the UFC and now they have no reason to give him attention, that is unless he wants to come to the UFC.

UFC would be nuts to not sign Fedor. It is all up to Fedor though.

And now delusional Fedor fans who can't see reality will attack me and use the usual list of "look who a Fedor beat he doesn't need UFC". That is true and all but going forward he won't be cemented like boxing cemented Muhammad Ali or Iron Mike Tyson.

Keep in mind that there are new mma fans everyday who never saw Anderson fight in his prime. And yet the will hear from Rogan and the entire mma establishment world that Anderson is the greatest ever and UFC will play his fights over and over again via rerunns on Fox Sports1, 2, etc.

The only time Fedor gets mentioned is when Rogan and Goldberg are introducing a HW who fought Fedor. Like Wedrum and they mention that Werdum submitted Fedor who had been undefeated for 10 years.

if were talking purely marketing I think people greatly overestimate the long term effect of having the UFC machine behind you. You get hyped to the moon when things are going well and your earning them money but when your no longer on the top the hype quickly diminishes and a lot of the casual fans quickly vanish as well.

In sporting terms Overeem's point doesn't really make much sense considering that at the point Fedor didn't sign for the UFC in 2009 Allistair didn't either also chosing Strikeforce. By the time the UFC had the strongest HW division Fedor was no longer at the top of the sport so didn't have a position to defend by moving there.

If Alistair Overeem fought Fedor's competition, you best believe he would have had the same streak.

Fedor beat Big Nog twice..... Overeem got beat by Lil Nog twice.

So it turns out you're wrong.

Fedor beat Arona... Overeem got KO'ed.

Wrong again.

Lol whens the last time you came back from adversity in a fight once in your career Overeem. Mr. Drug Free t-shirt.

He's not the best hw ever anyway, best fighter ever.

Fucking LOL!

Fedor got killed and came back to life three times in that round so a 10-7 makes perfect sense.

uX8nKs6.gif

Thats called being smart. That doesnt mean he headbutted nog on purpose to get the fight stopped.
Doesn't mean he didn't. It does mean something changed though, since the first 2 fights he jumped right in.

3 minutes long, but he basically says Fedor took the easy route by not signing with the UFC, didn't test himself after Pride, and he also scored round 1 of Fedor/Maldonado a 10-7

I agree 100%

I think it was pretty obviously a 10-8. And also, no need to welcome me, I've been here longer than you.
I assumed you had like, just made the account and walked away for awhile. Since you seemed unclear on fighter career arcs and whatnot.

This is just one of those things were those people who were overeem's fans trying to wipe out history with rose colored glasses on. You got one guy who dominates the game for 9 - 10 years,not by doing roids and getting huge even by HW standards but through cunning,speed,technique and iron will. Overeem hasnt even dominated the game yet. This two year run hes on,which hes beaten struve,arlovski,JDS,and big country is the most impressive thing he's done so far..good for him. But I wont allow myself to be convinced that a career long inconsistent,overconfident fighter who was koed 10 times before he even got in the ufc,can elevate himself above GodFedor status. No way. I doubt he can even beat Cain.

The Goat argument will always be subjective, but If Overeem beats Stipe and captures the UFC strap he will be the most accomplished HW to date.

K-1, Strikeforce, Dream, and UFC Champion > Pride, WAMMA, and Sambo Champion.
absolutely fuckin this.

Lol @ "humblereem"
Yes sir, I love hearing other people call me the best in the world and I agree with it - I just won't really say it myself.

- Humblereem, Drug free since 1980

Doesn't mean he didn't. It does mean something changed though, since the first 2 fights he jumped right in.

Yes,its clear he took away the one thing Nog trained hard to do. He outsmarted him. I dont pussy around the issue though. Fedor didnt headbutt nog to get out of the fight. If he felt the heat He could have just stood up with Nog and try that.

This isn't entirely true. Fedor for good reason didn't want to sign the exclusive UFC contracts for many reasons, one being he was asked by Putin himself to continue competing in Sambo and remain the face of Russian MMA.

Dana definitely wanted to sign Fedor but he wasn't willing to budge on the contracts. Why would Fedor sign his likeness away to the UFC? He was already the top Heavyweight in the world, wealthy, and had major political connections in Russia. Dana White as usual, was full of shit and used his PR machine to smear Fedor and talk loudly about how huge the money offered to Fedor was. It was never about the money.

If Fedor had come to the UFC Dana and Joe Silva would have style match fucked him. There was so much at stake when it came to the Pride vs UFC rivalry, especially when the UFC was losing horribly and was understood by any respectable fan to be second best. Don't forget Dana white sued Randy Couture for trying to go over seas and fight Fedor. There was definitely an agenda to have Fedor lose in the UFC and it was personal to Dana. So if Fedor had won they wouldn't have been able to claim him as their own, it would have been viewed as a Pride victory just like when Nog beat Sylvia and Shogun Beat Chuck etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's certainly not Reem. He was busting piss tests before USADA was even around.

Back