Ali's unique defence...

https://www.newsweek.com/phoenix-jo...fighter-arrested-selling-mdma-cocaine-1484521

here ya go, why anyone couldn't tell from just looking at this fuckers head that something is wacky I question their judgement. that might not be fair though, i've had lots of experience with these guys. they actually thought i was wacky so it went both ways.
No I only sell hard....

That's a batman photo from a different viral thing. Not Phonix Jones.

Oh wow I remember Phoenix Jones. Dammmm

Do you think the nature of boxing, getting used to being punched in the face, makes for better chins?

That nature of boxing makes it much less likely to see someone with a weak chin have success at the highest level. There are exceptions of course.

That nature of boxing makes it much less likely to see someone with a weak chin have success at the highest level. There are exceptions of course.
that too, they get weeded out unless they are like roy jones who looked as bad as any mma fighter when he finally got clobbered. Always been mystified how that happened. surely he took shots throughout the 20 some years he boxed. I only ever saw him hit well, i mean really well a couple times as a pro and to his credit he pulled out all the fights until the tarver kayo but he never responded like someone who had a great chin. as larry merchant said, "most great fighters have great chins" so, that's a huge :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: in his claim of being better than all the others we've seen.

that too, they get weeded out unless they are like roy jones who looked as bad as any mma fighter when he finally got clobbered. Always been mystified how that happened. surely he took shots throughout the 20 some years he boxed. I only ever saw him hit well, i mean really well a couple times as a pro and to his credit he pulled out all the fights until the tarver kayo but he never responded like someone who had a great chin. as larry merchant said, "most great fighters have great chins" so, that's a huge :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: in his claim of being better than all the others we've seen.

"Weeded out" is exactly the way I think of it. I mean the odds are staggeringly against someone with a weak chin making it far.

One thing about RJJ is that I think his chin just somehow got cracked. It was probably never an iron chin, but Toney hit him with some shots that seemed harder than what he could take later in his career. The weight drain may have very well had something do to accelerating his downfall. Anderson Silva was mentioned here and I think that is a similar situation. The Weidman KO looked really weak compared to some shots he easily ate before that, and after that KO he got wobbled by any decent shot that hit him.

Also there are pretty good observations here on Ali's technique. I would add that one thing that made it successful was that in his prime he nearly always had initiative. It looked like his constant movement with his feet, hands, and upper body overloaded his opponents processing abilities. Even when they were attacking they were reacting to what Ali was doing.

boxers don't throw double right hands too often, Hagler exploited that a lot by doubling and tripling up on his crosses, which, with him, he could throw from both sides, no one expects those kinds of punches. as far as lead right hands, Ali deserves a lot of credit for doing that in the foreman fight, making it work, so far as I know, no one did that before him, (probably did but I've never seen it done like that) and a lot of fighters imitated that. Hopkins used it to great effect in the Trinidad fight, that kind of cross is not as powerful as a real right cross because you have to disguise it a little bit and throw It like a jab but it still had enough power to bedevil foreman and Trinidad.
Great post. Hopkins often threw the lead right/overhand right a bit reckless, but he used it not just to hit his opponents, but also to close the distance so that he could beat people up on the inside.

Great post. Hopkins often threw the lead right/overhand right a bit reckless, but he used it not just to hit his opponents, but also to close the distance so that he could beat people up on the inside.
Also, they'd fall into a clinch just to smother retaliation. If boxing was like music or TV, ali could lived off his many techniques like musicians do royalties.

Do you think the nature of boxing, getting used to being punched in the face, makes for better chins?
The saying in boxing is that taking punches is like taking money out of a cash register and at some point it gets empty. So you can see good chins go bad but I don't think I've ever seen it the other way around.

Some have said a chin deteriorates, but I don't believe that myself.
Chin/jaw bones doesn't have much business with concussions etc stuff.
These 3 pro boxers that died in 2019 didn't had damaged chin or cranium bones.
Gerald vs Benn, did had Gerald damaged chin? Still get damaged.
Sage wasn't boxer but get simple punch, casually used also in boxing.
His facial bones were damaged and required 9 hours surgery to repair. Still guy didn't had even hard concussion: pretty soon used social media. 0 public reports about any brain damage.
---
Good/ bad chin is just slogan used to mention easily/ hard KOed able athletes in combat sport.

now that I'm off my phone, i'll give a little more in depth opinion. You take a group of people (boxers) who are getting hit from the time they are 10 or so and they grow up that way, they are going to adapt to it somewhat, that adaptation will still be based around a loose aptitude for being able to take concussive punches. The same way a fighter might adapt to their own level for being a puncher. So, in that group, you will have guys who can take great punches and those who can't and all the inbetween. By the time they are pros, that ability is probably at least close to the limits of where it will ever get to. So, a guy with a lousy chin by pro champion boxing standards, (Benitez,Terry Norris) will never ever get an ali like chin by getting hit more, never. Now, you have the guys with great chins, like Chavez, Chuvalo or Ali and they usually are pretty consistent with the punches they can take throughout their careers. Some have said a chin deteriorates, but I don't believe that myself.

Now, we have another group of fighters, who don't want to take hits, use every excuse in the book to avoid taking hits, are petrified of taking hits and think they should only take them when the lights are on. So, by and large, most mma fighters, who haven't gotten hit since the age of ten, play around in sparring for the most part and make excuses for going all out, is it any wonder why Mayorga almost coldcocked a prospective opponent with a slap? Or in the early days of the ufc's guys would get hit by a jab and it was bedtime for bonzo? MMA fighters are just a different species, maybe superior all around if we're talking who could get a W in a real fight but they are just kinda wierd as far as how they think and how they live and how they train. Just this past week, we had some local pro wierdo who used to go around in a super hero costume on the streets to fight crime get busted dealing drugs. Just the kind of wierdo that was commonplace around the mma fighters I knew.
Was it this dude

edit: nvm it is him

Attachments

• images.jpeg
    images.jpeg
    6.6 KB · Views: 3
Back